snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Donuts; Two weeks to digest?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Donuts; Two weeks to digest?
Mrs. Chicopea
Xboxing Day

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Mrs. Chicopea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Tonight while speaking speaking with my MIL she mentioned that she had heard that it takes a donut two weeks to digest. I don't believe this as I can't see what the reasoning would be behind that line of thought. Are there any references out there on the internet or library land that discuss digestion times for various food products?

--------------------
Don't judge someone unless you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then, if you still don't like them, it's ok! You'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes.

Posts: 1300 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RoofingGuy
The First USA Noel

Icon 202 posted      Profile for RoofingGuy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I can't find any "digestion times" per se, but I can find many tables of Glycemic Index, which is:
quote:
The Glycemic Index of a food is derived by comparing the rate of digestion to that that food, with the rate of digestion of pure glucose. Glucose* is assigned a Glycemic Index of 100, and the tested food is charted against this standard.

* glucose if the most widely accepted reference food, however some other systems use white bread instead.

Foods with a high Glycemic Index (70 and above) are those that break down quickly and cause a spike in blood sugar levels.

Foods with a low Glycemic Index (55 and below) break down more slowly and steadily, resulting a more sustained supply of energy.

Donuts aren't specifically mentioned, but the "Breads" section reads as:
quote:
  • Bagel 72
  • Kaiser roll 73
  • Pita 57
  • Pumpernickel 49
  • Rye 64
  • Rye, whole 50
  • White 72
  • Whole wheat 72
  • Waffles 76

So, with bagels, rolls, white bread, whole wheat bread, and waffles all being on the "quick" end of the scale, I can't see a donut digesting much slower.

--------------------
I refuse to get into a battle of wits with an unarmed person...

Posts: 724 | From: Ontario, CAN | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I dunno - Dunkin Donuts make a few stodgy numbers that take a while to process... [Wink]

The average human digestive system will settle a doughnut mouth to arse in about 6 hours - they're fried flour, water and sugar - all basic food elements the body usually digests readily....

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Maybe she heard that it takes that long to burn the extra calories somehow, and misunderstood the message as a digestion problem. As the others have said, it doesn't make sense that a light, fluffy donut could take any longer to digest than bread.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Aren't doughnuts like soft bagels?

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The answer is "it depends." Bowel transit time is the time it takes food to go from mouth to anus. 12-48 hours is a good average. Food that is not broken down & absorbed by the body just keeps movin' along. So any unused doughnut parts--well, it all comes out in the end.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
;)Miss Chicopea, can't you get a man with a mother that doesn't believe all the crap she hears?
[fish]
BTW any news on the snopeling?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What if it's a donut covered with chewing gum?

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Maybe it depends on the chewing gum. [lol]

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
I wonder if people who believe things like "it takes two weeks to digest" some particular food ever ponder where the stuff goes for those two weeks.

If donuts take two weeks to digest, do they sit in your stomach the whole time? If so, I'd think that anyone who ate a few donuts at one sitting wouldn't feel hungry again for the next few weeks, because his stomach would be perpetually full of undigested donut matter. Do donuts sit around your intestines for two weeks? If so, how does anything you eat after the donuts make its way through your digestive system? Wouldn't it be kind of painful not to have a bowel movement for so long?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I guess that this is based on an alternative system of human biology in which people have multiple parallel digestive tracks for digesting various foods at different rates.

This sounds like another bogus proclaimation from the field of quack medicine. I've heard similar claims that it takes one year/five years/etc, to digest meat, and that we carry all the meat that we've eaten in the past year in out lower intestines.

People that make a living performing enemas on hypocondriacs will make ridiculous claims about what was extracted during the enema. They do this to get the rube to come back for more treatments.

Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages