snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Cotton balls = diet food

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cotton balls = diet food
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: A few years back, I read something about supermodels eating
cotton balls as a way to fill up without calories. My wife claims it's an
urban legend. I hate to think anyone is dumb enough to do that, but I
have a high opinion of the potential for human foolishness. Is there
anything to the story? I did look into it some, but mostly found material
about supermodels and cotton tee-shirts.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters
Deck the Malls

Icon 05 posted      Profile for SkyeTisTheSeasonWynters     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I searched for about an hour and have found nothing but one obscure reference to this (could be) UL. I -did- find, however, that cotton is 100% safe to swallow (although I don't think I'd suggest doing it in large quantities, considering you could become impacted).

My feelings? I don't think it would make much sense: it certainly wouldn't give a "slimming" appearance; it would REALLY retain a lot of liquid; finally, wouldn't a lunch or light grazing of cotton balls be a NFBSK to pass?

Skye "Push! OMG!" Wynters

--------------------
Peter: You better watch who you're calling a child Lois, because if I'm a child, that makes you a pedophile, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand here and be lectured by a pervert

Posts: 354 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Wouldn't work - cotton balls are loaded with carbs. [Smile]

Barbara "god will get me for this" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Eating cotton balls sounds like a surefire way to get an intestinal blockage. Not too pleasant.

Besides, how are you gonna get 'em down?

- Pseudo "balls to the (intestinal) walls" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

Martinis. The ones made with cotton gin.

Barbara "cottonmouth" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simon Says
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simon Says   E-mail Simon Says   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well, on a related note... I watched a profile on TV about a young girl who was bulimic/anorexic and one of her tricks for making herself feel full was too eat paper. It would fill her up and just pass right through. So I wouldn't think it could be too far from plausible that someone would do the same thing with cotton balls.
Posts: 624 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Monroe
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Will Ferrell did a pretty convincing act of eating cotton balls in Elf, but I don't know if he was actually eating them or not. It sure looked like he did, but then in Planet of the Apes it looks like the Statue of Liberty is covered in sand.

Mon "not really making a point, but typing a lot" roe

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Van Thorp
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Van Thorp   E-mail Dr. Van Thorp   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I thought that Will Ferrell was actually eating cotton candy in Elf.
Posts: 374 | From: Brighton, Michigan | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Barbara:
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

Martinis. The ones made with cotton gin.

Barbara "cottonmouth" Mikkelson

Hah! Don't laugh. I used to have a coffee mug on my desk that said "Mikeska Gin" with a picture of a cotton boll on it. You'd be surprised how many people would say they'd never heard of that kind of gin, and was it better than Saphire? Even more fun were the people who followed that up with "Oh, but they dont' gin cotton anymore, do they?"

Yeah, we got us a hybrid that the seed jump plumb off of.

gayle

Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I absolutely hate that feeling of cotton balls rubbing against your teeth.. uuggghh! I dread when the dentist puts that wad of cotton to absorb the saliva in my mouth. ::shiver:: It gave me chills just thinking about it.

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zero
Turkey Largo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zero   E-mail Zero   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I remember my mum telling me of a 6 - 8 year old girl with an eating disorder on Oprah who ate cotton balls and the cotton from Q-tips to stop hunger pains.
I wouldn't doubt that people have at least tried it.

Posts: 54 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I just wouldn't reccommend that men eat too many. Wouldn't want to come down with cotton balls. Sounds like a disease that would be unpleasant.

[fish]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Actually I don't think it would cause a blockage... One emergency 'procedure' to do if your dog eats something sharp such as glass is to soak milk in cotton balls and feed them to the dog. It's supposed to cushion the sharp object so hopefully it won't hurt the dog...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackie in the Elevator
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jackie in the Elevator     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zero:
I remember my mum telling me of a 6 - 8 year old girl with an eating disorder on Oprah who ate cotton balls and the cotton from Q-tips to stop hunger pains.
I wouldn't doubt that people have at least tried it.

I saw this girl on Oprah (I admit I watch!) The sad thing was she was so young. And she outright blamed her mom for her eating disorder.

--------------------
Free the West Memphis Three

Why are these cases still unsolved?

Posts: 1618 | From: Texas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages