snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Polar bear meat

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Polar bear meat
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 86 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: While listening to the Bob and Tom show (national radio show) they were
talking about polar bears. Then someone wrote in to tell them that you
can't eat polar bear meat as it contains to much vitamin E, and will cause
humans to go blind.

I had never heard this before and was just curious if it were true?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
well polarbear livers store a huge amount of vitamin D- due to the long periods of darkness during artcic winters, so I was always told never eat a polar bears liver- dunno how true this is, but it's a connundrum I have never had to face.

little miss

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've heard the liver reference as well.

As far as Polar Bear meat is concerned, it's quite edible, though I was told by my tundra survival intructor that it can transfer a nasty parasite to humans and was best avoided unless a last resort.

Meat from bears killed because of threats to humans is regulary divvied up among the populace but I would hazard that it is largely used to feed working dogs.

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
As far as Vitamin E is concerned, here is a little fact sheet that I Googled up.
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamine.asp#h7
It appears that any one exeptionally high does will not have any effect on an individual. It did however comment that no long term exposure tests had been done. I hope this helps.

Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
The issue is Vitamin A, not E and it's the polar bear liver, not all meat. According toNutritional Needs in Cold and High-Altitude Environments: Applications for Military Personnel in Field Operations (1996)
quote:
Of the fat-soluble vitamins, vitamin A has caused the most problems for polar explorers. Shearman (1978) presented a graphic description of vitamin A toxicity experienced by members of the three-man, 1912–1913 Mawson Australian Antarctic expedition, in which two men died, with only Sir Douglas Mawson surviving. Early in the expedition, Lt. Ninnis and one of the sleds loaded with most of the food fell into a crevasse and disappeared. Over the next 23 days, Xavier Mertz and Mawson were forced to reduce their daily food intake from the normal 34 oz (971 g) to 14 oz (400 g), much of which was dog meat that became available as each dog died (Mawson, 1915). As Mawson reported in his journal, ''It was a happy relief when the liver appeared; even if little else could be said for its flavor, it was easily chewed and demolished" (Shearman, 1978 quoting Mawson, 1915, p. 284).

Over a 9-d period, Mertz's health rapidly deteriorated, culminating in his death, with intervening severe bouts of dysentery, fecal incontinence, depression, delirium, peeling skin, and loss of hair—all symptoms characteristic of acute vitamin A toxicity. Shearman (1978) estimated that as little as 100 g of husky dog liver could contain upwards of 1,000,000 international units (IU) (300,000 µg retinol equivalents [RE]) of vitamin A, which was sufficient to cause the toxic symptoms experienced by Mertz.

This was not the only polar expedition that was thwarted by hypervitaminosis A. Today, with knowledge of the potential vitamin A toxicity from consumption of dog, seal, polar bear, or reindeer liver (Shearman, 1978), polar explorers or workers are unlikely to repeat such experiences, but warnings must still be given to those planning to spend long periods of time under such environmental conditions.

The web site of the Inuit of Canada discusses the nutritional content of polar bear meat. Polar Bear is good for us! They note that the liver is not eaten.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrrentalshoes   Author's Homepage   E-mail mrrentalshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Has anybody ever had bear meat, whether it be polar bear or other? I'm just curious about the taste and texture. If only there were some place online to order unconventional meats.
Posts: 265 | From: Groveland, FL | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 23 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There was a debate amoung the Alaskan Alutiiq's I lived with concerning the safety in eating seal liver. They all advised me against it - saying you have to be used to it. I tried it in small amounts but it's not really worth the debate if you ask me.

ETA: bear meat is deeelish!

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ok, suppose you are lost in the wilderness and you get so hungry and eat the liver of a creature you're not supposed to eat the liver from? What do you do in this case? This is assuming you can call for help.

- Pseudo "un-bear-ably crazy" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
How would you have caught said animal? Why would you choose the liver to eat anyway?

Why would you be able to call for help if you're lost in the wilderness??

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
Ok, suppose you are lost in the wilderness and you get so hungry and eat the liver of a creature you're not supposed to eat the liver from? What do you do in this case? This is assuming you can call for help.

Assuming you can call for help, wouldn't you have likely had done so before you were so hungry that you went creature-hunting?

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sue Bee
Happy Holly Days

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Sue Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mrrentalshoes:
Has anybody ever had bear meat, whether it be polar bear or other? I'm just curious about the taste and texture. If only there were some place online to order unconventional meats.

I have had black bear meat. It was a roast, and I did not like it at all. I tend to not like game and or gamier meat, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. But it was sort of akin in texture to mutton, but stronger in taste and more oily. Blech.
Posts: 1596 | From: Illinois | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
If only there were some place online to order unconventional meats.

There is!

I had a small bite of bear (from this shop). Not enough for me to remember specifics, but I believe it tasted more like beef than chicken.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls

quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
quote:

There is!

I had a small bite of bear (from this shop). Not enough for me to remember specifics, but I believe it tasted more like beef than chicken.

Oh, thank you so much for that link. I tried to look it up on google, but "rare meat" was interpretted as the "temperature" rare, and weird meat just came up with nothing very promising. I have a mission to try some of these out now.
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 108 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Has anybody ever had bear meat, whether it be polar bear or other?

I haven't myself, but I understand it's concidered to be a delicacy. There was some outrage here in Sweden a number of years ago when Mr and Mrs Public found out that a zoo had served bear meet at the anual staff christmas party, meet that came from those lovely, cuddly bear cubs that children had been allowed to name in the spring (the reason for killing them in the first place it that it is impossible for zoos to keep all animals born during the season and if you can't trade them or sell them, why not eat them?).

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Bear meat flavor varies depending on what the bear has been eating. Bears that have been feeding on a lot of fish (usually in the fall) can have a rather rank flavor. The meat is very lean (you really need to trim aas much fat off as possible as the fat can have a bad taste.) It's not gamey, not really gamey, rather beef-like and quite tasty.

Bear is unfortunately, a good host for Trichinosis so it has to be cooked thoroughly. The species of trichinosis often found in bears resists freezing, unlike the usual pork species.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrrentalshoes
Deck the Malls

I just read about two people up in Canada that came down with Trichinosis after eating dried bear meat that was meant for their dogs.
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
quote:

There is!

Oh, thank you so much for that link.
Here's an article about the Exotic Meats shop.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jaime Vargas Sanchez:
quote:

Assuming you can call for help, wouldn't you have likely had done so before you were so hungry that you went creature-hunting?

Jaime

What are you trying to say here, Jaime? I don't follow your line of reasoning here. I mean, one can get lost in the wilderness and forget to call for help before one goes a-hunting, so the question isn't entirely stupid.

All I want to know is what one should do/who one should call if you did eat the liver of a creature that you're not supposed to eat the liver of. Hypothetical question, but one that's been gnawing at me for all this time.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
What are you trying to say here, Jaime? I don't follow your line of reasoning here. I mean, one can get lost in the wilderness and forget to call for help before one goes a-hunting, so the question isn't entirely stupid.

All I want to know is what one should do/who one should call if you did eat the liver of a creature that you're not supposed to eat the liver of. Hypothetical question, but one that's been gnawing at me for all this time.

- Pseudo_Croat

I don't understand your lost/hunting hypothesis either but how about a simple: don't eat the liver. If you're lost and don't know if something is safe to eat, why on earth would you eat it?

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by up on the rooftop kitap tap tap:
quote:

- Pseudo_Croat

I don't understand your lost/hunting hypothesis either but how about a simple: don't eat the liver. If you're lost and don't know if something is safe to eat, why on earth would you eat it?

kitap

Well, what if you're mad with hunger/desperate enough/foolish enough/ignore the warnings and eat it anyway? Then what do you do?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------

Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat: I mean, one can get lost in the wilderness and forget to call for help before one goes a-hunting, so the question isn't entirely stupid.
How can you get lost and forget to call for help?? If this is the kind of thing you'd be likely to do, P_C, I'd suggest not going into the wilderness very often.

quote:
All I want to know is what one should do/who one should call if you did eat the liver of a creature that you're not supposed to eat the liver of.
(A)What kind of animal are you thinking of?
(B)How long would you have to be lost in the woods before you'd try hunting? (Assuming you're not already on a hunting trip?)
(C)Why would you eat the liver in the first place if you're unsure of whether it's safe or not?

Slight hijack:
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
There was some outrage here in Sweden a number of years ago when Mr and Mrs Public found out that a zoo had served bear meet at the anual staff christmas party, meet that came from those lovely, cuddly bear cubs that children had been allowed to name in the spring (the reason for killing them in the first place it that it is impossible for zoos to keep all animals born during the season and if you can't trade them or sell them, why not eat them?).

Zoos are not supposed to create more animals than they can handle, and that is why, in America at least, they take birth control precautions. I know this applies to American zoos but don't know about international standards. Zoos (in America at least) are responsible for making sure any animal bred in captivity has a home - if it's not a home at their zoo, then they need to find a place to put it. If they can't find a place for that animal, they use birth control methods - either physical separation, actual BC pills for primates, etc. We even had Norplant injected into our female otters. In cases where the animal has contributed enough genes to the nationwide captive population, or if the animal has bad genetic traits or is too old, it will usually be sterilized. Only once at my zoo did we have an accidental pregnancy, and that was when a vasectomy wasn't performed properly.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat

quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat: I mean, one can get lost in the wilderness and forget to call for help before one goes a-hunting, so the question isn't entirely stupid.
How can you get lost and forget to call for help?? If this is the kind of thing you'd be likely to do, P_C, I'd suggest not going into the wilderness very often.
It's possible that one could panic and not call for help until it was too late.

quote:
(A)What kind of animal are you thinking of?
(B)How long would you have to be lost in the woods before you'd try hunting? (Assuming you're not already on a hunting trip?)
(C)Why would you eat the liver in the first place if you're unsure of whether it's safe or not?

a) Polar bear or seal (unsure what other creatures have poisonous livers).
b) Once all other food supplies had run out and I was so mad with hunger so as to try anything.
c) Simple. If you're hungry enough, you'll eat just about anything that looks edible.

Given that data, what should I do in the remote chance that I did eat said poisonous food and fell ill because of it? Who would I call?

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------

24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
[QUOTE]

Given that data, what should I do in the remote chance that I did eat said poisonous food and fell ill because of it? Who would I call?

- Pseudo_Croat

May I suggest the Deity Of Your Choice? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

- Pseudo_Croat

If you are able to call someone for help, you should be able to hold out for food supplies to be airdropped if they can't get to you fast enough.

However, assuming that you were lost in the wilderness, your cell phone died, ate polar bear liver, and then got rescued by, say, The Amazing Race production staff, I would have them take you to a hospital. If it has been several days- perhaps 8 or so (after looking at Kathy B's info)- I would have them call your next of kin.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages