snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Legal high in Banana Peels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Legal high in Banana Peels
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 24 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This rumor started in the late '60s. Apparently, banana peels contain a substance called banadine which, when smoked, will give the user a legal high. According to those who've tried it though, the user just gets a really bad headache.

This person, however, claims it to be true, although I'm not entirely sure this wasn't written as a joke.

The Definitive Instructions for Smoking Banana Peels

And before you chow me...

Pantene Angel

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 301 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I can't see how this can be anything but a joke. Just look at how difficult the steps are that the writer says you need to do to extract the "bananadine". You either have to be an experienced chemist or hardened drug refiner to do it. Who has ether in their house anyway?

"Bananadine", by the way, isn't a psychoactive chemical and probably isn't even real at all since no serious scientific literature recognizes it.

The Straight Dope says this

quote:
But you still want to know: Will bananas get you high? Of course not. The whole thing was a hoax first publicized in the Berkeley Barb in March 1967. The wire services, and after them the whole country, fell for it hook, line, and roach clip. "Smokeouts" were held at Berkeley. The following Easter Sunday, the New York Times reported, "beatniks and students chanted 'banana-banana' at a 'be-in' in Central Park" and paraded around carrying a two-foot wooden banana. The Food and Drug Administration announced it was investigating "the possible hallucinogenic effects of banana peels."

The outcome of the FDA study I have not been able to discover. However, in November 1967 researchers at New York University reported that a chemical analysis of banana peel had found no intoxicating chemicals and that the high was mainly psychological. It was obvious at the time, at least to some of us, that the whole thing was a put-on.

So there it is. A product of the smoke-anything-we-can-find late 60's.
Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sureshot
Poultrygeist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sureshot   Author's Homepage   E-mail sureshot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
This was immortalized by The Dead Milkmen on their 1993 album "Beelzebubba"

http://www.lyricstime.com/lyrics/55150.html

sureshot

--------------------
I said your name. I wore it like a badge of teenage film stars, hash bars, cherry mash and tin foil tiaras. Dreaming of Maria Callas, whoever she is.

Posts: 52 | From: Tuscaloosa, Alabama | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chabba
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
That must be what they call "Electric Banana", in the song "Mellow Yellow".
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sluggworth

Intersting recipe. I prepared them differently, but with similar results I believe. Oh how I miss college. We would smoke anything once, twice if it didn't make us cough too long.

Dried banana peel goop, I can say from personal experience, offer absolutely nothing except a steady stream of coughing and a slight headache.

If I recall correctly, I got better results from smoking a crushed orange Tic-Tac mixed with peanut skins. But that might have been the LSD kicking in sooner than expected. [Wink]

Sapient Homo
TR7 Bridges Road

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapient Homo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
According to a friend Banana skins don't work because he's tried it. On another related note he says that Nutmeg does work although you would have to smoke so much you'd be close to borderline overdose for it to do so.

--------------------
"Actually I thought we were going to do fine yesterday. Shows what I know."

George Bush after the Midterms

Posts: 165 | From: Margate, Kent, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sapient Homo:
On another related note he says that Nutmeg does work although you would have to smoke so much you'd be close to borderline overdose for it to do so.

That's why you make nutmeg tea - no coughing and you can make it as strong as you like.

Apparently the "high" isn't particularly pleasant, but friends of mine have certainly got a dig out of it.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lamentable Fowl

The Bananadine thing was a joke in a 1967 edition of a college magazine, I saw this debunked very thoroughly on a drug related messageboard I used to moderate. There is no psychoactive substance of any kind in Bananas, people only swear there is to avoid looking overly foolish after having fallen for this one.

The essential oils in nutmeg are not "active" when smoked. Althoughy the mechanism isn't fully understoof, the effects seem to stem from the toxicity of essential oils that are only present in the whole kernel form of nutmeg, industrially dried and ground nutmeg wouldn't do anything at all.

Be aware that these "oils" are VERY hepatoxic, meaning a single dose of nutmeg can be equivalent to as much as a few years of heavy drinking and liver failure after the first time is not unknown. For more indepth info go to www.erowid.org and look up "Nutmeg" - but I'm telling you right now it's EXTREMELY unpleasant for almost everyone that I've known to try it.

The rule of thumb is that the only "legal highs" that really work worth a damn are in the form of fungi, cacti and then of course Salvia D.

--- G.

ETA: D'oh, someone beat me to the debunking and even mentioned the details I missed , such as Berkley!

resELution
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 101 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Step 6-
Evaporate the alcohol. The resultant crystals are 150% pure bannadine. Put
these in your pipe, light up and enjoy! (Keep reading for the secret step 7!)

Really, 150% pure?
Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Satan laughs as you eternally rot
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Satan laughs as you eternally rot   Author's Homepage   E-mail Satan laughs as you eternally rot   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
http://www.truthtree.com/Nutmeg.shtml

I just searcked "Smoking Nutmeg" on ask.com

--------------------
Satan laughs as you eternaly rot = Slayer = my favorite band

check them out at http://www.slayerized.com , http://www.slayer.net , http://www.kfkindustries.com , etc.

Posts: 71 | From: Hollywood, Florida | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chabba:
That must be what they call "Electric Banana", in the song "Mellow Yellow".

Quite rightly.
Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CatPurrson
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatPurrson   E-mail CatPurrson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Anybody ever hear of smoking catnip? I read somewhere that it's supposed to be a mild hallucinogen. I did a report on it for my botany class a few years ago, and one guy said he was going to try it. Never got to ask him how it went....

I'd hate to see what my cats would do to me if I tried burning their catnip...

Cat"curious"Purrson

--------------------
People who hate cats may have been rats in a previous life.

Posts: 114 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Snow-Dog
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snow-Dog   E-mail Snow-Dog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've heard (from a FoaF of course) that while smoking catnip will give you a breif high, it'll also give you a lasting, blinding, headache.

Snow-Not something I'd want to try-Dog

Posts: 474 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I've never tried smoking catnip, but it certainly doesn't do anything if you add it to mulled wine. Shame.

My copy of Naked Lunch has an appendix by William Burroughs listing all the drugs he can think of and their effects. Nutmeg is in there, but even he says that he would never try it himself...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Lol, my gym teacher told us in grade 8 that he had a friend who smoked banana peels to get high and eventually they made him go stone deaf as a result. If the part about the "high" is false, can it still make you go deaf?

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages