snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » McDonalds Chicken Nuggets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: McDonalds Chicken Nuggets
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 19 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Has anyone here in the UK seen the new McDonalds TV ad - where the kids are having a party or something else there and they start saying that the Mcnuggets have changed.

After a while a kid takes a bite and smiles and says "Change is good".

Then a voiceover comes on and says "Chicken McNuggets - now made with Chicken breast"

The first question I thought there was "What the NFBSK were they made of before then?"

Anyone have any ideas? I heard the whole beak/testicle/skin thing but how true it is I don't know.

This must be like the worst advert ever because it raises more questions than it answers.

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Chicken breast is a cut of meat - previously those nugget things were made of shaped chicken-ass pulp. I'm sure it will remain greasy crap.

I love the new ad of theirs aimed at women - as if that ad is going to have 'career-types' rushing in their droves for salad out of a plastic tray in a smelly, overcrowded dump. But hey, they do crunchy apples..... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
We discussed this before, but sometimes it's easier to find the article than the thread.

"how little we know about what lies inside the golden breadcrumb coating"

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
theloneabalone
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theloneabalone     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
mechanically separated chicken meat. such a innocent phrase.....

--------------------
num, me vexo?

Posts: 1299 | From: . | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sub-Contractor
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 37 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Yum...
Even more reinforcement of my basic cooking philosophy:
1)If it didn't come from the butcher I trust or the green guy I use, I ain't gonna cook it.
2)Unless I trust the cook (usually including myself, but not always [Wink] ), I ain't gonna eat it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sub-Contractor:
Yum...
Even more reinforcement of my basic cooking philosophy:
1)If it didn't come from the butcher I trust or the green guy I use, I ain't gonna cook it.
2)Unless I trust the cook (usually including myself, but not always [Wink] ), I ain't gonna eat it.

I guess you don't eat out much then
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sub-Contractor

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post 
We eat out a few times a week, mostly carry-out. We live walking distance from small family owned Indian, Middle Eastern, Greek, Italian, Mexican and Japanese eateries. Most have groceries right next door. (I like the sushi from the store better than the resturant's, but it's made by the same chef...go figure.)

We're on good terms with the staff and owners (the Indian place doesn't even give us menus any more...just the usual [Smile] ) and trust them.

As far as trying new places, we might try 3-4 a year but usually only add maybe one per year to our regular list.

I'll miss this place for the food when we move.

moonfall86

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I think the change is that they use white instead of dark meat now. They don't really taste any different to me, though.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
They didn't use dark meat before, they sometimes contained gristle and other nastiness.
They taste much better now - much juicier and no crunchy bits.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jello B. Afra

My step father used to work for a company that produced Chicken McNuggets in the uk, and I can assure you they where made of 'MRM' or mechanicaly recovered meat.

Incidently, the factory in question was in the local news after a few of the workers there produced a nugget that looked suspiciously like a penis, complete with faux testicles, or a rough simily thereof.

Ana Ng
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ana Ng   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
What's wrong with mechanically separated or recovered meat? I've read that ingredient in things and I've wondered why they can't just say "chicken" or something.

Ana

--------------------
My great grandfather planted that tree!

Posts: 4862 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Morrison's Lament

It's very much on the edge of an accepted definition of "meat", and carries more risk of transmitting certain diseases than actual meat does. But it's ten times cheaper, so it's used instead.

quote:
MRM is meat residue which is left on the carcass after all the prime cuts have been removed.

It is pressure-blasted off the bones by machinery and forms a reddish slurry which resembles mince.

Some companies then use it to bulk up their meat products.

Experts say it is likely that bits of spinal cord - the part of a cow most likely to be contaminated with BSE - could be found in mechanically recovered meat.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1482140.stm

It's basically a most unappetizing slurry of organic waste.

--- G.

M. Wise

Icon 206 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
It's basically a most unappetizing slurry of organic waste.
And if they'd instead simply take the prime cuts and toss the rest, it'd be labeled as an example of humanity's wastefulness. I heard the story about how native americans used all of the buffalo while the cowboys wasted most of it several times in school. I don't think they can win.

[ 01. July 2004, 11:12 PM: Message edited by: snopes ]

mat504

Icon 102 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I visited MacDonalds today at melbourne Airport and they had a sign out the front that said they use thigh and breast meat only. It was an answer to the new anti MacDonalds movie. MacDonalds sales have been hit hard by the new supersize me movie. They can no longer put rubbish in the food at all.
Deciduousblonde

What worries me is that I find chicken nuggets tasted better BEFORE they took the crap out of them [Frown]
Two Scoops

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Two Scoops   Author's Homepage   E-mail Two Scoops   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
If it tastes good (never had them) and won't make me sick, it could be made from testicles as far as I'm concerned.

Though, I would prefer not to know because of the squeamish part of me...

Edit - I should add I prefer it not look like it either, with the whole physcological factor and all.

Posts: 846 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
 -

Look good?

Bull's nads. Taste pretty good - much better than nuggets that's for sure...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Fuchsia
Xboxing Day

Icon 506 posted      Profile for Fuchsia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Somehow this thread is reminding me of burgoo.

quote:
Culinary preparations include scrambling the brains with eggs or putting them in a meat and vegetable stew referred to as "burgoo". A history of eating squirrel brains was obtained from family members of all five patients with probable or definite CJD seen over 3,5 years in a neurocognitive clinic in western Kentucky.

--------------------
Nothing makes sense, so let's have no more nothing and stop making sense.

Posts: 1353 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rebelangel79

i actually worked at a plant that made the nuggets, patties and strips. i don't know wtf it was, but it was ground up and shaped into the nuggets, etc. it stunk to high heaven and i haven't eat any since. it was pretty nasty!!

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages