snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » expiration dates on soda

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: expiration dates on soda
pucknym
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I never remember seeing expiration dates on soda cans until maybe the last year or so. Anyhow, does anyone know what changed like if they started using a different preservative or something?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Hello, pucknym, I see you're new! Welcome!
Here's an article that answers your question:
http://stacks.msnbc.com/local/tcpalmvb/tcp_1280109.asp
So the bottom line is, the practice of putting expiration dates on soda is nearly 10 years old. Old soda will not harm you (any more than new soda, that is). The article did raise a question for me, though. It states that old soda gradually loses its sweetness and carbonation. I can understand the latter, but what sort of chemical reaction would cause it to lose sweetness?

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Darien

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Well, I don't know what causes it, but I have had pesi that was perhaps a year passed expiration. It was kinda bad. There was next to know flavor to it. However it wasn't like drinking soda water without the syrup.
matchboxer

Well a couple of years back, I bought a 20 oz. Pepsi that had expired about a month and a half before. I didn't realize it until I had drank half of it. It wasn't really gross, just very flat and a little bit devoid of flavor. I went back to the store (it was a 7-11 type of place) to get myself a refund, and the lady at the counter tried to tell me that the date wasn't an expiration date, that it was a bottling date. I ended up taking the dollar it cost out of the Give A Penny, Take A Penny thing.

OK. End unintentional hijack. The expiration date is really more of a "best before" time. There's nothing wrong with it, it just tastes a little...off.

pucknym

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Thanks everyone. as for the whole losing sweetness after the expiration, I think it's because of an artifical sweetener, aspartame that is used in soda--however, I dont know if it's all soda or just diet.
Muck
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Muck   Author's Homepage   E-mail Muck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Diet soda definitely loses its flavor after the expiration date. Not only is it no longer sweet, it also loses whatever cola-orange-lemonlimey flavor it had to begin with.

So, be vewwey careful when having a diet soda at grammy's house. It can be quite horrid.

Posts: 749 | From: Lebanon, OR | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tyler

You know what? Not to gross you out, but earlier today I found an old, open can of soda hidden behind a few books on the shelf. It was a few days expired. It looked undrinkable.
But I was really, really thirsty, so I took a sip…
Yum
Yum
Yum
Yum
Yum
And, incidentally, yum
It tasted fine! It was a little flat, but otherwise it tasted great. What’s the deal with that? It was a pepsi max by the way, if you feel like testing this out for yourself.....

Keeper of the Mad Bunnies
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   E-mail Keeper of the Mad Bunnies   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mari:

Here's an article that answers your question:
http://stacks.msnbc.com/local/tcpalmvb/tcp_1280109.asp

The article did raise a question for me, though. It states that old soda gradually loses its sweetness and carbonation. I can understand the latter, but what sort of chemical reaction would cause it to lose sweetness?

My chemistry is not the best, but I would assume that a reaction between the carbonic acid (from the dissolved CO2) and the other ingredients would result in the loss of sweetness. After all, the CO2 is going somewhere (otherwise the soda would not get 'flat').

James Powell

Posts: 588 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages