snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Belching = good manners?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Belching = good manners?
just Lisa
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 504 posted      Profile for just Lisa   Author's Homepage   E-mail just Lisa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It is happening again. A child (of almost any age) emits an enormous burp. Then says "You know, in some countries it is polite to burp after a meal." Supposedly it shows how much you enjoyed it.

Now, when I was a kid, I was told that China had this particular point of ettiquette. However, despite reading just about anything that comes within my reach, I have never encountered an official citation of this form of good manners.

So, did any of you have a different country cited? Has anyone found a guidebook or book of manners that elucidates this behavior?

Li (BRAAAAKKKK!) sa

--------------------
Never make fun of a man's fish, especially if it is 40 feet tall and aluminum.

Posts: 949 | From: Central California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kessira
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Clownfish Lisa:
It is happening again. A child (of almost any age) emits an enormous burp. Then says "You know, in some countries it is polite to burp after a meal." Supposedly it shows how much you enjoyed it.

Now, when I was a kid, I was told that China had this particular point of ettiquette. However, despite reading just about anything that comes within my reach, I have never encountered an official citation of this form of good manners.

So, did any of you have a different country cited? Has anyone found a guidebook or book of manners that elucidates this behavior?

Li (BRAAAAKKKK!) sa

My parents, who met while Dad was working on the Dewline in Alaska, told me that this is the custom among the Eskimos, but no, I've never seen any evidence to back it up. In any case, the novelty of it quickly wore off in my household, though at the time I couldn't understand why...
Ju"Urrrrp!"dy

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 106 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
me too, only, I was told it was Japan.

(Lucky for me, I've never been much there, or, boy, would I have made a fool of myself!)

Marry- oooh! excuse me!- ya

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well, I can vouch that slurping is considered polite in Japan. As for belching... I read an Amy Tan essay where she talked about her father emmarassing her in front of friends by belching loudly after a meal and explaining it was a Chinese custom. I guess it is...

Aimee "I belch anyway, it's fun!" Evilpixie

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Otter the Klown

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I always heard it was Portugal.
Ms Stressa, Nobody's Clown

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post 
A book I read as a kid about the Zulu tribes (31 Brothers and Sisters , one of my faves) said it was them.

My parents always pointed out that we were not in Africa when I used that excuse! - Stressa [lol]

Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms Stressa, Nobody's Clown:
A book I read as a kid about the Zulu tribes (31 Brothers and Sisters , one of my faves) said it was them.

My parents always pointed out that we were not in Africa when I used that excuse! - Stressa [lol]

Is it the Masai that spit/spray some sort of ceremonial drink at each other to seal trades?

As for the Chinese belching thing, I strongly doubt it, and I'm not about to ask my anthropology professor about it. I think I already lost points with her for being a fan of Hong Kong cinema. [Wink]

Alchemy

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bratling
Silence of the Clams

Icon 08 posted      Profile for bratling   E-mail bratling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It's belching the redneck mating call.... I mean.. isn't it? Am I wrong?!

[lol] [Wink] [Razz]

Posts: 1141 | From: TamperBay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
judical
Deck the Malls

Icon 207 posted      Profile for judical   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post 
I was always told(by my dad) that it was Arabian countries that considered it good manners to burp.
Posts: 378 | From: texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClownLady_Troubador:
I was always told(by my dad) that it was Arabian countries that considered it good manners to burp.

Ditto here. Peter O'Donnell points it out in a couple of his Modesty Blaise stories...

(Although that might seem to be a pretty weak cite -- sort of like citing Ian Fleming or Tom Clancy -- and yet these guys really did *some* research in their fiction!)

Silas (b-u-u-u-u-u-r-r-r-r-p-p-p-p!) Sparkhammer

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemy:
As for the Chinese belching thing, I strongly doubt it

You're right, it's not a requirement of good manners in Chinese society to belch after a meal to express appreciation. However, it isn't bad manners to belch either, as it would be in most Western society. In fact, China's pretty much Liberty Hall as far as belching's concerned. [Smile]

Kate

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BferBear

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I live in Hong Kong, and whilst I am not sure if it is a custom or just a common habit, it is true that burping at any stage (not just after meals) is considered normal amongst older chinese locals. Not so much amongst younger people who have been more exposed to western behaviour.
Jaime Vargas Sanchez

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:

Me too.

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I was always taught it's good manners in Egypt.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 84 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Just to add a little empirical evidence to the fray [Wink]

I was travelling in North Africa, staying in the main with local families happy to put up travellers for a few dollars, bed and breakfast style. One time in Tunisia we were heading out into what was regarded as real desert and our Hosts told us tales of Bedouin tribes - I remarked that my mother had told me it was customary for Bedouin to belch after a meal as a sign of appreciation (indeed, my experience in the Arab parts of the world I have visited ceratinly led me to believe this was true, food is a burpy business for sure!)

The man of the house confirmed this, and even added that it wasn't just polite, it would offend if no burp was brought forth, and was also the means by which you declare your intention to consume no more food (otherwise more will be brought to you).

We never encountered any Bedouin, but burped to great appreciation after our host had served us the best lamb I ever tasted in my life! [Smile]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 09 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Add my voice to those who were told about the Arabian/North African/Bedouin tribespeople.

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kessira

Icon 207 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:

I spent 7 years living in al-Khobar and dining with the locals, and never heard that even once. It is good manners to eat with one's hands (or more precisely, one's right hand) but belching was never an option.
Ju"urrrlp! 'Scuse me!" dy

Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
One of the point I forgot to add was the fact that we were told that it was taboo for women to burp, or for men to burp triumphantly when women were in the room - all got a bit confusing to be honest, so we just ripped traditional European style burps to be on the safe side! [Big Grin]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 99 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
oh, i DO like the phrase "to burp triumphantly"

so...why ISN"T it socially acceptable to burp [Razz] after meals...when we ALL feel like it, and are doing all kinds of internal contortions not to, given that most of us grew up believing it was acceptable SOMEWHERE in the world?

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
And following on from marrya's question, at what stage did our parents stop greeting our burps with "Oh, you clever baby!" and substitute "Stop it, that's digusting!"? [Razz]

Kate

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Van Couver
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Van Couver   E-mail Van Couver   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Can't remember where I heard it from. But my brother and I once used it on my mother.

"But in others countries that stands for good manners"

And the only reply we got was

"But not around here" And the topic was closed.

bg
Van Couver

--------------------
FAMILY(n): Where the term insane is a RELATIVE term //Threadkiller: Watch this line.....it might be the last on this topic........

Posts: 2146 | From: Austria | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya

Icon 108 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
yeah, we tried that with the old "fingers were made before forks"
to which my mum replied "Yes, but not YOUR fingers, honey!"

marry "finger-lickin'" ya

--------------------

First Amongst Daves
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for First Amongst Daves   Author's Homepage   E-mail First Amongst Daves   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kate:
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemy:
As for the Chinese belching thing, I strongly doubt it

You're right, it's not a requirement of good manners in Chinese society to belch after a meal to express appreciation. However, it isn't bad manners to belch either, as it would be in most Western society. In fact, China's pretty much Liberty Hall as far as belching's concerned. [Smile]

Kate

Have you noticed, though, that spitting and to a lesser extent belching is becoming less common?

A Chinese colleague of mine theorises that its because of increased exposure to mainlanders: the Hong Kongers have rapidly come to think of it as "mainland behaviour".

--------------------
Dave's boards:

incandescent

Posts: 255 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 27 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
^ burping smilie

I've always heard that burping was a complement to the chef, but I never heard any specific country attached to it.

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aimee Evilclowny:
Well, I can vouch that slurping is considered polite in Japan. As for belching... I read an Amy Tan essay where she talked about her father emmarassing her in front of friends by belching loudly after a meal and explaining it was a Chinese custom. I guess it is...

Aimee "I belch anyway, it's fun!" Evilpixie

I lived in Japan for two years and can vouch that slurping is ACCEPTABLE (i.e., something you're allowed to do). However, I didn't get the impression that it was POLITE (i.e., something that you're expected to do and people may be offended if you don't).

I'm not a native and could be wrong.

But I do feel that in general this thread is not making a distinction between something being "good manners" (which would mean you SHOULD do it) and simply being acceptable (which merely means you CAN do it), which I think is a distinction worth making.

Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages