snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Rat Poop in Penut Butter?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rat Poop in Penut Butter?
CD
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post 
A friend told me that his friend (UL red flag right there) used to work for a major Penut butter manufacturer (Skippy or Jif or something) and he said that the penuts were kept in large vats until they were taken out to be schucked and that rats would get in there. He went onto say the USDA would allow .2% of rat droppings in a jar of PB.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 501 posted            Edit/Delete post 
From the FDA's Food Defect Action Levels:

quote:
PEANUT BUTTER Insect filth (AOAC 968.35) Average of 30 or more insect fragments per 100 grams
Rodent filth (AOAC 968.35) Average of 1 or more rodent hairs per 100 grams
Grit (AOAC 968.35) Gritty taste and water insoluble inorganic residue is more than 25 mg per 100 grams

DEFECT SOURCE: Insect fragments - preharvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation, Rodent hair - post harvest and/or processing contamination with animal hair or excreta, Grit - harvest contamination
SIGNIFICANCE: Aesthetic

They seem to lump rodent hair and excreta together. The value of 0.2% for rodent contamination suggests one rodent hair that weighs 0.2 g, which seems to me like a pretty big hair.

Note that these are not allowable levels, they are action levels, meaning that if your product is this bad the FDA will take action. This does not mean that most products are just below the action levels.

Chava

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Ha! Mosherette will be pleased...

This is completely disgusting but I can guarantee you that it won't keep me from eating peanut butter. I also heard in H.S. freshman health class that they allow a certain percentage of rat feces in cold cereal products too. Guess what? I still eat cereal for breakfast every morning and it hasn't hurt me so far!

Enjal "however, I always pick out those burnt rice krispies just in case"

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages