snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » pineapple/wisdom teeth connection?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pineapple/wisdom teeth connection?
pumpkinsgirl2
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 212 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I just got my wisdom teeth out two days ago. On the advice of my boss, (I usually don't follow her advice, but I figured in this case, it wouldn't hurt) I ate a whole, fresh pineapple the evening before my dental appointment. According to her, she said it would minimize swelling and bleeding. Low and behold, I did not swell and was on my feet and at the movies the evening after my surgery. Don't worry, I still took the three sick days I was approved for. Has anyone else tried this? I'm aware it could just be that I was lucky. My wisdom teeth had already grown in, so there was no digging involved. I looked for info on this on the web, but could only come up with one or two references. I had never heard of it, has anyone else?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bird
Undercover Angel Food Cake

Icon 212 posted      Profile for bird   E-mail bird   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I don't think the pineapple had anything to do with it. I had my wisdom teeth pulled, (all 4 were grown in) and I too was just fine that night. I think pain and swelling has to do with digging.
Posts: 220 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyMoose

Icon 212 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I think it does have to do with the amount of digging involved. When my friend got hers out, they were already somewhat in, and she came to school the next day. Mine were really impacted, so the dentist had to do lots of digging. I missed two days of school and was miserable for the rest of the weekend.
Lithiate

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I hadn't heard about the pineapple, but on the sheet of paper they sent home with me on how to care for the wounds after surgery, they mentioned soaking green tea teabags in warm water and then placing them over the suture sites as you normally would do with gauze. Apparently there is something in green tea that helps reduce swelling and aids in the clotting process.

Which is not to say I didn't swell like a chipmunk with a mouth full of walnuts.... My lower teeth were so impacted, my oral surgeon later told me it was the most difficult extraction he had performed. He still doesn't want to tackle the lower molar that's so abnormally huge, it's embedded into my jaw bone. He said he'd have to break my jaw to get it out, and there's a likelihood that I'd be drooling out of the side of my mouth for the rest of my life as a result of damaging the nerve that runs perilously close to the root of the molar.

Lithi "love my $6,000 smile" ate

Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 202 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Well, it turns out that there may be some truth in this. There is certainly plenty of anecdotal evidence for pineapples aiding tissue recovery after oral surgery.

More recently, this has been attributed to a proteolytic and anti-inflammatory chemical called bromelain, whis is prevelant in pineapples, papaya, kiwi fruit and figs.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deciduousblonde

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I have been reliably informed that eating fresh pineapple (not tinned) can bring on labour, too. Not tried it myself but know plenty of people who have - I think I will have to work out the statistics.
Were-Apteryx

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lithiate:
Apparently there is something in green tea that helps reduce swelling and aids in the clotting process.

Well, there's tannic acid in ALL tea, and I've had dentists recommend rinsing with tepid black tea before. I wonder why they switched to green,
and why the bags? Compression factor?

Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Okay, why didn't someone tell me about this before I got my wisdom teeth taken out? I doubt it would have helped, but I was swollen up like a balloon and in pain despite all the meds I was taking.

Sister "not like I'd have wanted to eat anyway" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages