snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » Red Bull

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Red Bull
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 15 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post 
Comment: i have also heard that red bull contains bull sperm...is there
any truth to this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
megaira, redhot fiery fury
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: i have also heard that red bull contains bull sperm...is there
any truth to this?

hehehe! hahahahaa! What a bull loa...I mean, what a load of bull!

http://www.redbull.com/product/ingredients/ingredients01.html

here ya go.

[Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LizzyJingleBells
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 209 posted      Profile for LizzyJingleBells   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
It sure is a good drink though...especially during tech week! I just wish it wasn't so hard to find.

Lizzy "bunch of bull" Bean

--------------------
Come on, come on, we were once upon a time in love
If the only prayer you say in your life is thank you, that would suffice. - Meister Eckhart My Blog

Posts: 7725 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kerrylikesvodka

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I think the reason for [Thwack] this rumour about red bull containing bull sperm is that taurine, one of the additives that sends you loopy, is a hormone taken from bull testicles. Thankfully, the taurine used in red bull is a synthesized version.

However, there is a bit of an urban legend in the UK that asian red bull is far more potent that our own stuff, and that some of the additives it contains are illegal over here. Some asian traders sell it 'under the counter'. Some even claim that an indian supermarket in my home town coventry got busted, and their supply of red bull was seized.

Dave Lee Sloth

Getting a little of subject , a mate of mine a while ago had an e-mail she had printed off and was sticking up on the notice boards in my work place .

I can't fully recall the details but the thrust of the message was that red bull had an ingredient that had been linked to brain tumors , as I don't drink the stuff I didn't pay that much attention but I can't help but wonder if there is any truth to this.

Any red bull drinkers out there better informed ?

Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by kerrylikesvodka:
taurine, [is] one of the additives that sends you loopy

I think what you meant to say was:

Taurine is the second most abundant free amino acid in the central nervous system, but the characterization of its physiological role is still incomplete. It has been suggested that taurine functions as an inhibitory neurotransmitter or as a neuromodulator in some brain areas.

[Wink]

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Icon 303 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Who told you this one:

quote:
taurine, one of the additives that sends you loopy, is a hormone taken from bull testicles. Thankfully, the taurine used in red bull is a synthesized version.
?

Taurine is an amino acid, not a hormone. It'd be found in *meat* as well as heart, skeleton, brain, eyes... and it can be found in many animals, not just bovine.

It does not make you "loopy."

From a feline nutrition site: "The role of Taurine in the body is complex. It is a building block of all the other amino acids as well as a key component of bile, which in turn is needed for the digestion of fats and absorption of fat-soluble vitamins. It is vital for the proper utilization of Sodium, Potassium, Calcium, and Magnesium, and prevents loss of Potassium from the heart muscle. Also, Taurine has a protective effect on the brain and is essential in maintaining eye function"

It also goes on to point out that it is heat sensitive. There's a chart on the page that shows a dramatic drop in Taurine content after cooking.

My thinking is that it is yet another one of those fun things they looked at and said "hey, is this a name no one will recognize?" "yeah" "great marketing idea" "you betcha" "throw it in!"

...just as Sobé has capitolized off of every "fad" herb on the shelves right now (guarana, ginsing, echinacea, etc. etc...please can I just get some plain freaking tea??).

Meg

Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by megaira, redhot fiery fury:

It does not make you "loopy.

Quite right, it's the Smirnoff and Jose Cuervo in those TVRs that make you loopy !
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

TVRs?

*confused*

Darimir

quote:
TVRs?

*confused*

That'll be Tequila, Vodka and Redbull, a fine all night long drink, you'll never feel tired anyway! There's also the JTVR (just add Jack Daniel's)

Jim.

wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 98 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
TVRs?

*confused*

the UK have taken to red bull in a big way. Many pubs now produce pitchers of red bull based cocktails.

there favourite being TVR...tequila vodka redbull

Can anyone think of any more...i know there are a load of them but cannot remember them now, maybe it's the redbull making me loopy [Big Grin]

Little miss

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
I'm a classic. I still prefer the good old White Label & Red Bull.

Substitute Ballantine's, J&B or Cutty Sark if needed.

Jaime

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Darimir

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Can anyone think of any more...
There's the JGTVR (Jack, Gin, Tequila, Vodka and Redbull), and the insanity mindspasm (invented by myself), which is Absinth, Redbull, Cachaca, Gin, and cranberry.

Jim.

kerrylikesvodka

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Firstly, what can I say? hormone, amino acid, I dont take bloody biology. But the book 'E for Additives' still maintains that taurine is extracted in the largest quantities from bull testicles. Hence 'taurine'. And it isn't suitable for vegetarians...

as for 'loopy', did you ever hear of irony? I didn't mean in the sense it actually sends you mad, I meant as in 'it gives you wings'...Did you know they add taurine to pet food to perk up the animals?

My fave variation on the old TVR is bacardi, malibu, archers, jack D and red bull. Dead sweet, with a kick, and gets you absolutely steaming within a couple of glasses. I never thought of a name for it because I'm too busy knocking it back.

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Firstly, what can I say? hormone, amino acid, I dont take bloody biology.
Hey, you post it as fact, it's not fact, it gets rebutted. [Eek!] The significance of it being an amino acid, not a hormone, is that it will come from *meat,* not a testicle, gland, whatever.

quote:
But the book 'E for Additives' still maintains that taurine is extracted in the largest quantities from bull testicles.
And books are exempt from misinformation?
The "new" E for Additives book was published in 1988...the old one was revised in 1987...we're talking over 14 years here. The author, Maurice Hanssen is also a big fan of Cider Vinegar therapy...his books are hardly flying off the shelves.

quote:
Hence 'taurine'. And it isn't suitable for vegetarians...
Yeah, I get the taurus reference...

quote:
as for 'loopy', did you ever hear of irony?
Nope. Do elaborate. [Wink]

quote:
I didn't mean in the sense it actually sends you mad, I meant as in 'it gives you wings'...
Yeah, I got that... however, I'm making a real good bet it's the caffiene, sucrose, glucose and b-vitamins making people loopy, tweaked, spazticated, etc.

quote:

Did you know they add taurine to pet food to perk up the animals?

*sigh* They don't have to *ADD* taurine to pet food. Anywhere there is beef, chicken or lamb, there will be taurine because it is an amino acid found in *meat.* The page I linked to was discussing adding a supplement for felines that were not getting enough of it.

Thanks folks for the FYI on the TVR, JGTVR, VRTGJ, GTJVR, etc. etc. [Big Grin]

kerrylikesvodka

okay, my bad

...although my copy of E for Additives was only published in 1999.

quote:
...although my copy of E for Additives was only published in 1999.
Ah. Perhaps they're easier to find in the UK, as he seems to be a UK author in the first place. Amazon UK's latest copy was '88....they had a list of his other books, but little to no information on them.

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages