snopes.com   
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Food Archive » HOT DOGS contain earthworms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HOT DOGS contain earthworms
krash
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I have heard that hotdogs contain earthworms and that it is listed on the ingrediants as "erthobate". Also, I was told that the only company that doesn't use earthworms is Kunzler. I checked out the ingrediants on the packages and Kunzler was the only one w/o erthobate in the ingredents. Any truth to this??
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post 
http://www.straightdope.com/mailbag/merythorbate.html

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greenphan

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
In my estimation, quite a bit of processed meat has bugs and other animal things in it (even animal waste). It would be almost impossible to keep the processing equipment 100% clean of all extra animal parts. But with hot dogs, does it really matter?

--jeremy "mmmm, pig noses and raccoon anuses"

Aimee Evilpixie
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Aimee Evilpixie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Aimee Evilpixie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode.

Homer: *while eating hot dog* But without all the rancid fat all I taste is the pig anus...

--------------------
Ugg want you find JESUS!

My website!

Posts: 1853 | From: Washington (The State) | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Katoklzmk, Very Sick'n'Cranky

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post 
Gee, and all this time I thought it was McDonald's that used earthworms in their hamburgers!
And what about Hebrew National?

Kat "are earthworms kosher?" O'Klzmk

RingKeeper
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 05 posted      Profile for RingKeeper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
There was another Simpsons episode where Lisa is imagining what goes into hot dogs and and earth worm is one of the things, along with raccoon and a rubber boot.

Ahhhh, the Simpsons, they can solve all life's little questions.

Ring"Thanks, Homer"Keeper

--------------------
There are just some things a dog can't explain to a monkey.

Posts: 2529 | From: Newfoundland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chava

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post 
quote:
And what about Hebrew National?

Kat "are earthworms kosher?" O'Klzmk

No.

Chava

mocchi

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I've heard hotdogs r made of animal parts like brains, livers, hearts, and etc. Mostly pig and cow parts and maybe other animals aswell. One cant resist taking a bite though. Some people might think it taste weird but thats what mustard and chilli r for. Although it does give it a certain taste.

mo "taste like chicken" chi

Goes-Hmmm

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post 
I always heard hotdogs were made from lips and assholes. Regardless of their constitution, those that don't like them are just looking for excuses not to eat them. I like a good chili-dog myself with mustard and ketchup. I don't care if it is made out of earthworms or porcine pancreas, I still like them.

Goes-"but not up the wazoo"-hmmm

die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 1 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by greenphan:
In my estimation, quite a bit of processed meat has bugs and other animal things in it (even animal waste)....

Upton Sinclair's 1906 novel The Jungle, essentially an indictment of the meat-packing industry and its excesses being inflicted upon those so employed, made much note of the zeal with which meat packers, under the banner of "efficency," would resort to all manner of expedients and shortcuts in the interest of what nowadays would be called "adding value."

Not to mention alluding to the Embalmed Beef Scandal of 1898-99, wherein it was learned that our boys at the front in the Spanish-American War were served rotten (even decayed) meat from poor-quality tins, and processed for the most part from diseased or lame cattle, causing a number of deaths from food poisoning (which, it may be worth knowing, were actually more than the number of those as died from enemy fire in that conflict)....

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex

Icon 01 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Katoklzmk, Very Sick'n'Cranky:
...And what about Hebrew National?

The good people at Hebrew National (slogan: "We Answer To A Higher Authority") explain "what is kosher?" at their website.

Specifically, at this page. (Basically put, Jewish dietary law specifies that only the forequarters of cattle are kosher; all else is treif, "unfit.")

--------------------

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
die daagliks phosdex

Icon 1 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aimee and Evilpixie:
Reminds me of the Simpsons episode.

Homer: *while eating hot dog* But without all the rancid fat all I taste is the pig anus...

Similar things have been said about Spam (I mean the lunch meat, as per Hormel out of Austin, MN) down the years, as a matter of fact.

(In matter of fact, Spam was conceived of as a cheap and cheerful way to use pork shoulders that had otherwise been considered waste product, blended with Hormel ham, water and spices. And has been since its 1937 debut.

(The name, BTW, was chosen in an employee contest and is said to be a contracted form of "spiced ham.")

--------------------

Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages