snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Legal Affairs Archive » Spreading cremated remains illegal?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Spreading cremated remains illegal?
tagurit
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 217 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just told that it's illegal by probably federal law, to spread the ashes resulting from the cremation of a human body. I find this rather hard to believe. It was added when I questioned the idea that the possible reason was in case DNA testing needed to be done. Now, I'm no expert, but it seems to me that cremation might destroy DNA. But, what do I know?

I've googled til I'm blue in the face and find nothing to substantiate or dispute claims that spreading crematory remains is illegal by any federal or state (of michigan) law.

Can anyone provide some insight?

tag dust in the wind... urit

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
oh pleeze
It's So Cheesy (to Fall in Love)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oh pleeze   Author's Homepage   E-mail oh pleeze   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
try this site.

http://www.cremationassociation.org/docs/model-cremation-law.pdf

--------------------
op

i'm taking the afternoon off to stalk my previous boss who fired me for taking afternoons off.

Posts: 728 | From: the funshine state! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tagurit

Icon 506 posted      Profile for tagurit   E-mail tagurit   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, oh pleeze. That document deals more directly with those contracted to scatter cremated remains, but it gave me the correct term, cremated remains rather than crematory remains and I've edited my thread title accordingly. It also gave me some keywords to search on.

I've learned more than I wanted to know about cremation. Numero uno is that it's not ashes, and not referred to as ashes. Hollywood gave us that concept. What remains after cremation, generally speaking, is bone fragments and there is a pulverization process that breaks these fragments up into unidentifiable bits.

There are companies that contract to do scattering. Who knew? There are aerial scattering companies and companies that scatter cremated remains at sea. Some companies will scatter them wherever you want them, within regulations. And that brings me to the lawsuits filed against companies that didn't fulfill their scattering obligations, resulting in most of the scattering regulations that exist. Scattering companies have left remains in empty lots. Some have stored remains in warehouses, making no attempt to scatter them. Scattering companies have even dumped remains into a common container and scattered many simultaneously.

Remains can be scattered on uninhabited public land, out to sea (with restrictions usually regarding distance from coastline) or private land with written consent of the owner. There are scattering areas in some cemeteries. There's even scattering by balloon ascent and dispersal by personalized fireworks display! [Eek!]

But, nowhere did I find any law against taking your relative's remains and scattering them to the wind. Of course, you still need written permission if you plan to scatter them on private property.

Also, I haven't found anything to indicate there is DNA in cremated remains, though that's probably not important now. I'm inclined to believe the DNA is destroyed by the cremation process.

tag cremated remains to cremated remains? doesn't have quite the same ring to it... urit

--------------------
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet
---
AAMAH

Posts: 8532 | From: Michigan | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brian O'blivion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brian O'blivion     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
cremated remains to cremated remains? doesn't have quite the same ring to it
I've always thought 'cremains' sounded cool.
Posts: 307 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
But, nowhere did I find any law against taking your relative's remains and scattering them to the wind.

The Catholic Church prohibits it:
quote:
The practice of scattering cremated remains on the sea, from the air, or on the ground, or keeping cremated remains in the home of a relative or friend of the deceased are not the reverent disposition that the Church requires. (Order of Christian Funerals, Appendix II)
That's as close to a law (nothing in the CCL!) as I could find. [Smile]

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
John John was put out to the sea, maybe they got special permission from the Pope. I don't remember any scattering though, it was very windy that day, or maybe they didn't scatter and just laid to rest the ashes. hmmmmm.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rhiandmoi for a limited time:
John John was put out to the sea, maybe they got special permission from the Pope. I don't remember any scattering though, it was very windy that day, or maybe they didn't scatter and just laid to rest the ashes. hmmmmm.

They permit burial at sea without any special permission as long as it's in a container that is heavy enough to bring it to the bottom and local secular law doesn't prohibit it.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JR
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JR   E-mail JR       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tagurit:
What remains after cremation, generally speaking, is bone fragments and there is a pulverization process that breaks these fragments up into unidentifiable bits.

I've been near the oversized Moulinex they use for that while it was running... very loud.

Some people have "issues" with cremated remains. I used to work for a courier company that took the neatly boxed and wrapped remains to the funeral homes (where they were put in urns).

Some drivers refused to have them onboard.

I used to put them on the front seat and ask them what kind of music they wanted to listen too. Funny, they all liked rock 'n' roll. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Semper ubi sub ubi

Posts: 1175 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages