snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Legal Affairs Archive » Best Buy Receipt Check (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Best Buy Receipt Check
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 02 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.die.net/prose/bestbuy/
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BCE
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
THIS is one of my main munchkins, swingin' in the breeze! Although it's never happened to me at Best Buy (yet.)

The main offender I am familiar with is Costco, the shopping warehouse-club store. Not only do they demand to check your receipt at the door to make sure of what I don't know; but they often have a line of 10-20 carts waiting to be processed through this pseudo-loss-prevention checkpoint.

I think they even have a big sign with the lame excuse that they want to "make sure you weren't overcharged, got all your stuff, etc." Pshaw!

I often do exactly what the author of that website did, and just walk past, replying to their "Can I check your receipt" with a "No, thanks." I haven't been stopped or detained yet, since I think they realize that only a small percentage of customers know that they have absolutely no obligation to put up with this stupid practice.

BCE

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 220 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just have one thing to add...

You'd probably be able to do this at Best Buy, But I'd think Costco could cancel your membership if you tried this. Although I don't remember the exact wording in the contract, but it probaly would say that you consent these policies by joining. [Smile]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A Midway Summer Night's Dream

Icon 304 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
http://www.die.net/prose/bestbuy/

Sorry folks, he has the time to write and post all his ramblings, but not 10 seconds to let a poor worker-bee take a peek in his bag?

If you don't like the way discount stores do business don't shop there! Go ahead and pay "just a little more" for the personal service at Ye Olde Stereo Shoppe. Which ammendment guaranteed all Americans the Lowest Prices Anywhere?

Midway "some guys would cut off their own cajones to make a point" Bill

Morgaine La Raq Star
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Morgaine La Raq Star   E-mail Morgaine La Raq Star   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with Midway, get over it. He'd probably also complain when the prices went up because they *couldn't* check receipts.
They're not scanning your receipt & keeping it on file, nor are they holding it up for others to verify. They are merely checking to see that you bought what you bought.
If you're offended, let me ask: Are you offended when they ask for your driver's license when you write a check? How about when they ask for your membership card when you go into Costco? They why does a highlighter mark on a receipt make you crazy?

Mor 'I have better things to get my panties in a wad about'-gaine

--------------------
I cannot live without books-Thomas Jefferson *~* A child educated only at school is an uneducated child - George Santayana
I'm going to pummel you with such zeal, Buddha will explode! *~* Never miss a good chance to shut up - Will Rogers

Posts: 6585 | From: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
M. Monroe

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, when he gets pulled over by a cop, and is asked to pass over his license and registration, does he say "no, thank you." and drive away?
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this guy was in the right even if needlessly stuborn about it. I've had a bad experience with receipt checkers myself. One time I bought a keyboard along with a whole mess of other computer stuff and they claimed they couldn't find the keyboard on the receipt. We just wanted to get out of there (This was at Fry's, not always a fun place to be) so we assumed they'd forgot to ring that up and set it aside, when we got home, sure enough, it was on the receipt.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abby 68
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 07 posted      Profile for abby 68   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree he was in the right but he just should've flashed somebody his reciept, at some point.(like before he exited the store) [Thwack]
Posts: 1932 | From: Toronto | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cowboy Bebop

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's customers like this that pretty much inches me closer to Workman's Comp.
Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to be nice to Best Buy because I've had fewer horrible experiences with them than I've had with Circuit City.

Actually, now that I think about it, Best Buy's returns department in Roanoke was pretty nice.

However, when I was about to leave with the exchange I made at that Roanoke store, I was stopped with a wave of the hand by Captain Receipt, who was on the phone at the security station there but apparently wanted me to wait for him. I silently counted to five before he checked my exchange receipt, and had I managed to get to ten, I would have just walked by him. Doing so would either allow me to go free or get him to hurry up and check my receipt. Win-win.

I probably wouldn't have been anywhere near as obnoxious (or amusing) as this writer.

I imagine this could work pretty well for a shoplifter. An incident like this could easily distract enough security and clerks to have an accomplice sneak some merchanice out.

Also, despite what the writer thinks, the Best Buy apology was pretty damned noble. What does he expect, that the company will just stop checking receipts?

Alchemy "Flim-flam LAN"

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
colin sky

Although not discussed in the linked article or its own links, I suspect that Costco/SAMS Club might involve slightly different circumstances because they are membership stores -- I'm not a member, but I imagine there might be something in the "membership contract" that signifies an agreement to a receipt check on exit (and a membership card check on entrance).

Personally, I also generally tend not to shop in stores that require a bag check for security reasons. Basically, I'm providing custom (and potentially cash) to the store, and there should be no reason that i should be forced to feel untrusted.

(Now a voluntary bag check if I don't want to carry my heavy whatever around the store is appreciated).

fnawrite

"so we assumed they'd forgot to ring that up and set it aside, when we got home, sure enough, it was on the receipt"

Too bad you didn't have the receipt with you at the store so you could have checked it then and left with your purchase. Hey, wait a minute...

tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
www.bestbuysux.org
Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kroma
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 01 posted      Profile for kroma         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I often do exactly what the author of that website did, and just walk past, replying to their "Can I check your receipt" with a "No, thanks." I haven't been stopped or detained yet, since I think they realize that only a small percentage of customers know that they have absolutely no obligation to put up with this stupid practice.

Have you ever tried to return any the items you bought? They might give you a hassle if the receipt wasn't checked.

Once when checking my items, they did catch that I was charged twice for something I only bought one of.

Posts: 165 | From: Somewhere in NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 108 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So, when he gets pulled over by a cop, and is asked to pass over his license and registration, does he say "no, thank you." and drive away?
That's not quite the same. When a policeman pulls you over, it's because he has (or is supposed to have) probable cause for stopping you -- he's either seen you commit an infraction, or he has valid reason to believe you are connected to another crime. Merely purchasing merchandise from a store does not constitute probable cause to be searched or detained for shoplifting, however.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ZenKnight

quote:
Originally posted by A Midway Summer Night's Dream:
If you don't like the way discount stores do business don't shop there! Go ahead and pay "just a little more" for the personal service at Ye Olde Stereo Shoppe. Which ammendment guaranteed all Americans the Lowest Prices Anywhere?

Midway "some guys would cut off their own cajones to make a point" Bill

quote:
Originally posted by Morgaine la Frisbee:
I agree with Midway, get over it. He'd probably also complain when the prices went up because they *couldn't* check receipts.
Mor 'I have better things to get my panties in a wad about'-gaine

Maybe next time you should read the whole article before you sound off:

"I completely understand why a merchant would be interested in searching everyone leaving the store. It makes great financial sense. I just don't happen to let them, and they can't do much about it. As I am not particularly price sensitive, I prefer to pay slightly more and not be intimidated every time I shop. Thus I choose to not return to stores that are aggressively enforcing this particular policy.

I've only had a few bad experiences in the years I've been ignoring door guards, and I think the time I've saved in not standing in line again to leave the stores has more than made up for them."

quote:
Originally posted by deep fried mars bar:
I agree he was in the right but he just should've flashed somebody his reciept, at some point.(like before he exited the store) [Thwack]

What for? If this: ARE DOOR BAG SEARCHES LEGAL? surprises you, I bet this:
THE DECISION
will too.

"ARE DOOR BAG SEARCHES LEGAL?

Yes, as long as the inspection is voluntary. No, if the bag check is involuntary or coerced.

(MY NOTE--this means it's an illegal act for the store to force the issue absent the condition below)

THE DECISION

The decision to approach and confront someone suspected of committing theft should not be taken lightly...Some states have 'Merchant Statutes' that give the store operator some limited liability protection if they approach a suspected shoplifter in good faith and the stop is based on a reasonable belief that shoplifting had occurred."

I'm perfectly aware there's a class of people out there that have an unnatural need to be punished for the sins of others, and that the only time these spineless jellyfish show any kind of backbone is when they're shrilly demanding that everyone else submit willingly to the same indignaties they seem to feel they somehow deserve and are just and proper, what I don't inderstand is why they don't redirect this energy and do a Daily Affirmation each day something along the lines of: "Today when I'm handed a heaping plate of crap to enjoy, instead of gobbling it down and saying 'Mmm,mmm, good! Can I get seconds?' I'll just say 'no thanks.'"

A Midway Summer Night's Dream

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZenKnight:
Maybe next time you should read the whole article before you sound off:

"I completely understand why a merchant would be interested in searching everyone leaving the store. It makes great financial sense. I just don't happen to let them, and they can't do much about it. As I am not particularly price sensitive, I prefer to pay slightly more and not be intimidated every time I shop. Thus I choose to not return to stores that are aggressively enforcing this particular policy...

Wellll, I did read the whole article and despite the one paragraph you quoted the article in toto had the tone of "my precious rights were violated and I'm rightiously steamed up about it."

As for being jellyfish, methinks some people actually enjoy barging though life pushing aside anyone they percieve as wasting a second of their precious time - then arguing about it ad nauseum. It's called "having a chip on one's shoulder."

Midway "I've been smart and I've been pleasant, I recommend pleasant" Bill

Wizard of Yendor

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fnawrite:
Too bad you didn't have the receipt with you at the store so you could have checked it then and left with your purchase. Hey, wait a minute...

See the problem was it was two and a half pages long and we didn't feel like reading it at the time, but obviously, knowing now that it really WAS on the receipt, that would hyave been the thing to do. We did end up getting out keyboard after pointing out the mistake on the next trip to he store, but the whole thing should have never happened.
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 605 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Were I live in South Seattle, Costo and Best Buy are the only 2 stores that I know that do this anymore. A few others that I frequent did this for a while and then quit.

Anyways both Costo and Best Buy (at least the ones I go to) do not realy look at what is on your receipt. It look more like they take a quick glance at the number of thing on the receipt that then the number thing you are carring or in the cart. Not item by item check. If the two look like they are close they just mark it and off you go. If not then a quick second look and off you got. It has never taken me more that a few seconds with them. Even when the store is busy on Christmas the line move very fast with one person checking.

I have walk by then at Best Buy with no problems ether. They have asked for receipt and I said sorry, why do I have to show it to you. They just let it go.

Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
M. Monroe

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That's not quite the same. When a policeman pulls you over, it's because he has (or is supposed to have) probable cause for stopping you -- he's either seen you commit an infraction, or he has valid reason to believe you are connected to another crime. Merely purchasing merchandise from a store does not constitute probable cause to be searched or detained for shoplifting, however.

- snopes

I was trying to be funny. Guess I should have made that clear. I was just commenting on how ridiculous it was that he made such a big deal over nothing. They do the receipt check at the Wal-Mart stores here, as well as Best Buy, Circuit City, K-Mart, and other large stores. To us, it is just second nature, and it takes like a minute MAX (that is just when there are stupid people that stop the line to wait for someone and they block the door). I am sure it would have taken less time for him to flash the receipt than it did for him to go through all that to make his "statement". That is all I was inferring by my comment. I apologize if it was not clear and it seemed unintelligent and moronic. [Razz]

[EDIT:I understand there is no reasonable choice when dealing with police officers than to follow their procedures and give them the respect they deserve.]

Jennicat

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
^Smiley goes as being part of the evil empire known as Wal-Mart.

At our local Wal-mart, it's a policy to check most, if not all bags. We generally don't stop everyone going through, but if they've not checked out at our register (at the garden center), we generally ask for a receipt.

Because of these checks, we've averted literally thousands of dollars of theft, which, in turn, converts back into rollback prices for customers. (Rollbacks are determined by taking store's profits and subtracting our shrink... then all that's available goes to cutting prices.)

People are devilish. They hide things, they buy coolers and fill them with DVD players. We've been told to unzip comforter bags and check inside them now because we lost 6 DVD players that way. I routinely find tags for clothing (even underwear... [Eek!] ) stuffed behind our shelves where people have detagged and clothed themselves. A week ago, we found an enormous pile of cereal... people had been opening the boxes, dumping the cereal, and stuffing the boxes full of Om knows what.

Even with receipt checks, we're now told to check dates... people come in with bags and receipts from old purchases and fill up the bags again. We can't have register tape at our registers, because people have been stealing the spare tape and printing their own receipts. Working at Wal~mart certainly wears down your faith in the human race sometimes. [Razz]

So while it may annoy you to have to whip out your receipt, it saves you money in the long run.

Jennicat,
Why chase shoplifters when you can memorize their plates?

ZenKnight

quote:
Originally posted by A Midway Summer Night's Dream:
Wellll, I did read the whole article and despite the one paragraph you quoted the article in toto had the tone of "my precious rights were violated and I'm rightiously steamed up about it."

As for being jellyfish, methinks some people actually enjoy barging though life pushing aside anyone they percieve as wasting a second of their precious time - then arguing about it ad nauseum. It's called "having a chip on one's shoulder."

Midway "I've been smart and I've been pleasant, I recommend pleasant" Bill

Unless I'm missing your point, are you saying this is a shining example of whining self-pity and unprovoked belligerence? 'Cause if it is, I'm gonna have to ask on whose part? If you say anyone other than Best Buy I'm really gonna have to ask if we read the same article.

Let's recap just in case:

The guy sees a line at the door, decides to go around, is instantly stopped by store personnel. Store personnel ask to see inside bags/receipts(as they are lawfully permitted to do, guy declines(as he is lawfully permitted to do), and exits store. Store personnel pursues him outside store and repeat request(thin ice here, but guy may change his mind and thereby relieve them of liability), guy doesn't change his mind but repeats refusal and asks if he is being accused of shoplifting and proceeds to his car(still well within his legal rights), store personnel pointedly do not accuse him of shoplifting(at this point you have to ask why BB is going through all the bother if they're not prepared to do this, cause after all it's the only thing left that'll give them legal standing), yet threaten to call police and attempt to prevent egress by physically blocking vehicle(clearly violating the law and Best Buy's own internal procedures by pursuing an involuntary search), guy finally reaching his limit impolitely asks store personnel to move.

Violations of rights (whether considered "precious" or not) undoubtedly occurred, and subjected to that sort of treatment any reasonable person is more than justified in being upset.

Now the "chip on the shoulder" nonsense: where I was raised that phrase means someone makes a reasonable request and you respond antagonistically and use it as an excuse to pick a fight. Did that occur here?

"I dodge the line and head for an unused automatic door, countering an insistent 'Sir, can I see your receipt?' with a polite 'No, thank you.'"

"I manage to get about 5 steps out the door before the door guard catches up to me and grabs my cart, with the "sir" in his "I need to see your receipt, sir" somehow not very complimentary."

"I ask, still calm, if I am being detained for shoplifting."

"I spend a few moments trying to explain myself, but clearly have too much adrenaline flowing at this point to be particularly erudite. I give up and proceed in the direction of my car."

"I suggest that before doing so he take a moment to talk to either the helpful salesperson who rung me up or to compare their inventory against sales receipts, as to avoid looking like an ass to the cops."

"As I get in my car to leave, two Best Buy lackeys in a pickup truck decide its a good time to park behind me, blocking my path again. By this time, I've had just enough of this bullshit and not very politely or discreetly ask that they get the fuck out of the way. With only a little hesitation, the yellow-shirt nods in their direction and I'm soon free to leave."

We also have a saying where I'm from that if you tease a dog and he bites, it's not the dog's fault. There's plenty of belligerence there, but I don't see it coming from the author, unless it's possible to be both belligerent and antagonistic by retreating.

I'll freely admit I haven't been in retail for 10 years or so, and I'm pretty sure things have changed more than a little, but I'll bet anything they haven't abandoned training programs altogether, and I'm sure they haven't concluded that a good way to curtail loss is to forcibly search people who haven't shoplifted.

colin sky

quote:
Why chase shoplifters when you can memorize their plates?
I think I can answer that. It's only immediately after leaving the store that you can catch them red-handed with the merchanise. Follow the plates a few days later, and it would be much harder to find that sort of direct evidence.
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'll freely admit I haven't been in retail for 10 years or so, and I'm pretty sure things have changed more than a little, but I'll bet anything they haven't abandoned training programs altogether...
When I had a job in retail 4 years ago my "training" was a video tape explaining what shrinkage was and why we shouldn't steal and I got 2 hours on the clock to play with the register with another trainee.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Goes-hmmm

Chasing a shoplifter can be very dangerous. Last year, a Tulsa Albertson's grocery store employee chased a couple of males that shoplifted a case of beer out into the parking lot and they shot and killed him for his trouble. There were witnesses and the killers were caught a few weeks later. Chasing the wrong guy out into the parking lot could get a person killed.

What I don't like is the presumption of guilt that is associated with checking everybody's receipts. A little closer attention to who went through the checkstands, and with what, and checking the people that are suspected of shoplifting, would give just as good of results and still provide a positive shopping experience.

Comments and generalizations like "It's customers like this that pretty much inches me closer to Workman's Comp." and "People are devilish. They hide things, they buy coolers and fill them with DVD players..." just confirm what I suspected for a while, that retailers and their employees have a general distain for the customers and assume that everyone is out to take anything they can get. I resent this implication, I am honest and I'd bet the majority of the customers are as well.

Although my direct association with discount retail stores is now about 15 years old, it was commonly known that employee theft was the highest percentage of "shrink"; shoplifting was up there, but not as high. I'm sure that is one of the reasons for blucanary's "training". So, can I assume then that all retail employees are thieves and treat them accordingly?

Goes-"this customer is always right"-hmmm

Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goes-hmmm:

Although my direct association with discount retail stores is now about 15 years old, it was commonly known that employee theft was the highest percentage of "shrink";

Goes-"this customer is always right"-hmmm

Am I the only one who thinks that these bag-checks are really to keep an eye on the employees? If I was shop lifting, the item would not be in the bag when I left the store... I would certainly not try to put a stolen item in the bag at the checkout counter, or even during the 10 to 20 steps between the counter and the door. It would remain hidden until I was safely out side and to my car.

The only rational I can see to check my bag would be if the management thought that the checkout person was involved in the theft. Then, the employee would either put an item into the bag without ringing it up, or ring the item up as a much lower priced item (in which case the Sam's Club style 'item count' wouldn't work).

As for hiding items in cereal boxes, coolers, etc. Feel free to check my coolers, comforter bags etc. at the point of purchase... they still belong to the store until I pay you. I can't think of many things that would weigh as little as dry cereal... as a cashier, I would be very suspicious of a 5 pound box of cornflakes - unless I was involved in the deal.

This is not to say that bad people can't fool register personnel (and Jennicat, I'm sure you are as honest an concientious as you sound). All I'm trying to say is that as a means to catch shoplifters the bag check is rediculous.

All in all, I think these rediculous "security measures" are really to check the employees.

Atlanta "I don't care much for Best Buys anyhow" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I'm a lot more passive-aggressive than most of you. If I really get ticked at a loss-prevention checker, I'd make them double-check everything and make them verify the exact UPC codes. I'd want tofrustrate them that I'm wasting their time.

I wish, however, they'd institute receipt checks at Wal-Mart. Regularly, those guys ring up the wrong prices or ring up the same item twice.

- Grand " [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] Wal-Mart smiley's annoy me, too" Illusion

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jennicat

Icon 09 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Goes-hmmm:
"People are devilish. They hide things, they buy coolers and fill them with DVD players..."

Oh dear. When I said this, I wasn't trying to imply that I thought everyone who walked by my register was trying to get something out of the store, or was masterminding ways to get things for free, I was just trying to point out that those who are criminally inclined are very creative as to the ways they get out of the store with things.

I'm sure that 99.9% of people that walk in and out of our doors are honest. Why? Because they walk back into the store all the time if they realized I forgot to get something in their cart. Or if it rang up extremely wrong in their favor. Or they bring stuff that their kids have broken and want to pay for it, instead of ditching it behind other merchandise.

As a whole, our customers are great people (most of 'em are darn near hilarious once you get them talking). But the .1% that are trying to get thousands of dollars from the store kinda make it hard to just wave people through and smile.

Sorry to give them impression that I thought of customers as a sort of lower class of people, or a scourge to be endured. They're definitely not... just the minority of them!

On a side note: This may just be local policy, but we generally only "bag check" people that haven't checked out in our area, or who have stuff that isn't in a bag. And even then, most folks just wave the receipt at us while they scoot through the door.

Jennicat,
Improving customer relations, one messageboard at a time. [Wink]

Ladonna28

What an interesting experience. I've been to Best Buy in the past six months and haven't had my bags checked. Then again, all I bought were a couple of DVD's and a computer game.

I do think the guy might have gotten a better response from Best Buy had he not referred to the employees as confused lackeys, etc. He should have simply stuck to the facts (just the facts, man). Even if the employees are in the wrong, management tends to doubt the customer's side of the story if the customer is insulting. Then it becomes a case of "that's just a difficult person".

Retail stores *do* have the right to protect themselves, as long as they do it legally. The cost of shoplifting does get passed on to the customer. I, for one, do not want to have to pay more for an item because some dishonest person stole from the store. And while it's true that the majority of the consumers are not thieves, unfortunately there are those few that will see what they can get away with.

And I have heard a story of the store employee being dishonest as well. A co-worker of mine talked about being at a grocery store in which they noticed that the clerk wasn't charging the guy ahead of them for several items. The clerk also tried not charging her for several items. She got the manager.

While Best Buy was definitely in the wrong to have attempted to intimidate and forcibly detain the guy, they weren't necessarily in the wrong to *ask* to check the bags. After that, they were setting themselves up for a lawsuit.

Ladonna

Maddog Bill Out in the Midway Sun

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ZenKnight:
Unless I'm missing your point, are you saying this is a shining example of whining self-pity and unprovoked belligerence? 'Cause if it is, I'm gonna have to ask on whose part? If you say anyone other than Best Buy I'm really gonna have to ask if we read the same article...

Zen I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes, in the end the BB employees overstepped their bounds. However, the fact remains: the entire incident could have been avoided if this Proud Defender of the American Way had just let 'em check the nfbsk'n bag for 15 seconds!

Midway

ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 02 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Maddog Bill Out in the Midway Sun:
However, the fact remains: the entire incident could have been avoided if this Proud Defender of the American Way had just let 'em check the nfbsk'n bag for 15 seconds!

I don't think you really mean what you think you mean.

Do you really mean to say that all unplesant situations can be avioded if only the people being imposed on give in?

Take that to it's logical conclusion. Very, very ugly.

ULTRA "She wouldn't have been hurt if she hadn't struggled." GOTHA

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGOTHA:
quote:
However, the fact remains: the entire incident could have been avoided if this Proud Defender of the American Way had just let 'em check the nfbsk'n bag for 15 seconds!

I don't think you really mean what you think you mean.

Do you really mean to say that all unplesant situations can be avioded if only the people being imposed on give in?

ULTRA "She wouldn't have been hurt if she hadn't struggled." GOTHA

It seems a lot of people have all kinds of drama in their lives for just this reason. Anytime they are sure they are 'right' they'll fight to the end regardless of the size of the infraction against them. If that's how you want to live you life, go ahead, your choice.

My father taught me to chose my fights. I show my receipts at best buy because it causes me no harm. If they wanted to search me or my backpack, then I'd fight. And once I fight I don't back down.

But feeling you are fighting a righteous battle for the American way so that you don't have to show some poor minimum wage worker your receipt is silly and might be an indication that you need to get a life.

Beach...they can ask for my receipt and I can shop elseware, that's the American way...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beach Life:
[QB] I show my receipts at best buy because it causes me no harm. If they wanted to search me or my backpack, then I'd fight. And once I fight I don't back down.[QB]

And that's fine. You draw your line here. The guy in the OP draws his line there.

Neither line is better than the other. Your line is better for you.

The whole thing could have been avoided if the Best Buy employees hadn't gone out of their way to go beyond the law and store policies, too.

ULTRAGOTHA

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ZenKnight

quote:
Zen I think we'll have to agree to disagree.

Yes, in the end the BB employees overstepped their bounds. However, the fact remains: the entire incident could have been avoided if this Proud Defender of the American Way had just let 'em check the nfbsk'n bag for 15 seconds!

Midway

Just because someone is making demands doesn't mean you have to comply.

Why you seem to feel threatened by people sticking up for themselves is a mystery though.

Maddog Bill Out in the Midway Sun

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGOTHA:

There seems to be a small group of posters (not mentioning names [Razz] ) who argue suchly:

Bill: From the evidence I saw in the OJ trial, my opinion is the jury made the wrong decision.

PosterX: Sure Bill, let's sentence any black man the police arrest immediately! No need for a trial if your skin is dark, let's just suspend the Bill of Rights for "Those Types"! Let's give the police martial powers, heck go whole hog and just issue automatic weapons and call 'em the SS!

quote:
...Anytime they are sure they are 'right' they'll fight to the end regardless of the size of the infraction against them. If that's how you want to live you life, go ahead, your choice.

My father taught me to chose my fights. I show my receipts at best buy because it causes me no harm. If they wanted to search me or my backpack, then I'd fight. And once I fight I don't back down.

Thanks B.L. that's exactly what I was attempting to say.

Midway

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages