snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Legal Affairs Archive » His hands are registered as lethal weapons

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: His hands are registered as lethal weapons
Sara at home
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The conversation went like this:

Him: If a black belt and boxers have to register his hands as lethal weapons.......
snopester: Um, I don't think so.........

Help me out, snopesters. Can anyone find anything that proves that somewhere in this country and/or world martial arts black belts and/or boxers must register their hands as lethal weapons with any law enforcement agency.

Another one I always heard but now I want proof.

Sara "Oh yeah? Prove it."

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I've seen this as false but I can't remember where. I checked AFU but couldn't find it. One article that mentions it as an UL is: http://www.ecklaw.com/page8.html
quote:
Legally, we martial artists are at an immediate disadvantage as far as judges and juries are concerned.  We are trained as warriors.  We intentionally learn dangerous techniques which are designed to injure, maim and kill; we practice those techniques until they become second nature to us; and because we spend so much time practicing, we are generally stronger, faster, quicker and more self-confident than our couch potato contemporaries.  Although the bit about "registering your hands" is an urban legend, I guarantee that if you find yourself in court because you have injured somebody, you are going to be answering questions about your martial arts training.

Also see question 6 at:
Chinese Boxing FAQ

This website says: Brown also details special areas for the "trained fighter." He tells why a trained fighter may be held accountable because a special standard governing his actions is applied, and he explains the yardstick used in that standard. A court may consider a black belt to be an "expert" in self-defense, so the rules of how well he judged the force of his reaction are stiffer.
Laws concerning Black Belts

And here it says you can be charged with using lethal force (but nothing about registering hands: Laws Governing Martial Arts

Bev "take that! and that!" Hamilton

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius, one of Gwaihir's people

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
The conversation went like this:

Him: If a black belt and boxers have to register his hands as lethal weapons.......
snopester: Um, I don't think so.........

Help me out, snopesters. Can anyone find anything that proves that somewhere in this country and/or world martial arts black belts and/or boxers must register their hands as lethal weapons with any law enforcement agency.

Another one I always heard but now I want proof.

Sara "Oh yeah? Prove it."

Unfortunately, it's very hard to prove a negative. (I get lots of questions in my work about "Where in the law does it say you DON'T have to do something"? Laws generally are quite busy enough telling you what you DO have to do.)

Perhaps your friend should consider it this way. What other lethal weapons must you register with law enforcement agencies? Knives? Baseball bats? Frozen legs of lamb? Other than firearms, I can't think of any registration requirements.

Sara at home

Thanks Bev. I knew someone would have some information from the martial arts people but I had forgotten that it might be you.

quote:
Originally posted by Sparverius, one of Gwaihir's people:
Perhaps your friend should consider it this way.

That was no friend, that was my husband. (rim shot)

quote:
What other lethal weapons must you register with law enforcement agencies? Knives? Baseball bats? Frozen legs of lamb? Other than firearms, I can't think of any registration requirements.

Funny you should mention that. The conversation was about knives and the rest of this comment was ".......why don't they have to register {that type of} knives?"

Sara "and a special thanks to bufungal -- you know who you are"

B Hamilton
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B Hamilton   E-mail B Hamilton   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks Bev. I knew someone would have some information from the martial arts people but I had forgotten that it might be you.

You're quite welcome, Sara. I really don't know much about martial arts. We taught gymanstics. I just remember reading it somewhere but I never found exactly what I was looking for.

Right now I'm trying to find the sites that debunk the Mason/Dollar bill connection as that was stated as a fact in our newspaper today. I remember reading about it but can't find it now.

Bev "cobwebs in the brain" Hamilton

Posts: 1338 | From: Orlando | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IndieQueen2

I think I asked this question the last time this topic came up, but I'm not sure. How does someone know if someone else is a black belt or has martial arts training without being told? My husband holds a black belt, but it wasn't issued in this state. He doesn't tell anyone he has one, so if he were to get into a fight, nobody would know.

As far as we both know, there is no sort of national register. He would only use his training in self-defense.

Also, where does one go to register one's hands as lethal weapons? Is there an office for such things?

Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by IndieQueen2:
Also, where does one go to register one's hands as lethal weapons? Is there an office for such things?

Until proven otherwise, I am going to say there is no office because the whole registering thing is just an Urban Legend.

You would think that they would have to hand out the address of where to go to register when they handed out the black belt if you were required to register.

Sara

BlueRose

My husband has a red belt in tae kwon do and I took a self-defense course taught by his instructor. Neither of us has a black belt, but I'm fairly certain that, if necessary, we could inflict some serious damage to anyone who wanted to mess with us (providing they didn't ambush us with a gun.) The question of black belts registering their hands as lethal weapons would have to be extended to those who have had the training but haven't been tested (or would that be considered "illegally concealed weapons"?)

Our instructor (a 4th degree black belt) warned us about using EXCESSIVE force in self-defense because, having had martial arts training immediately gives the impression that we had an unfair advantage over an assailant with no training (never mind that he might have a knife, gun, club, anthrax spores, or a frozen leg of lamb and that he was assaulting us in the act of committing a crime). He said if we did injure or kill our assailant, we would undoubtedly be slapped with a civil lawsuit, if not charged with assault and/or manslaughter. He said these were the words to remember.

"I was in fear for my life."

If we indicated in anyway that the situation could have been handled in a less aggressive or harmful manner (such as, we could have run for our lives instead of kicking butt) then we would probably be successfully sued. We had to make sure that fighting was the only option and that we didn't overdo the use of force (in other words, once the assailant was down and unarmed we got out of there and notified the authorities instead of kicking his head around like a soccer ball). We even had a police lieutenant come in to talk to the class about how to talk to the police after an incident, what to say and what NOT to say.

Still, if someone attacks me or my son, I will always remember these three words I learned in my self-defense class.

Slap.

Grab.

Rip.

Blue "still can't understand why my husband would never help me practice" Rose

IndieQueen2

quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:

Until proven otherwise, I am going to say there is no office because the whole registering thing is just an Urban Legend.

You would think that they would have to hand out the address of where to go to register when they handed out the black belt if you were required to register.

Sara

Exactly. You hear "His hands are registered lethal weapons" every once in a while usually in reference to a boxer, but I've always thought it was a load of crap. It was explained to me once by my husband's instructor as being a voluntary thing, but even he didn't know where one would do it, and he's an attorney.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages