snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Mysterious (animal?) screaming

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mysterious (animal?) screaming
richard b.
If you're gonna scream, scream with me.

Icon 504 posted      Profile for richard b.   Author's Homepage   E-mail richard b.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A brief fluff journalism piece about a mysterious scream that scared the bejesus out of a few people in Ohio, USA. There's a recording of said scream in the video.

( link )

To me, it sounds somewhat like a person. It's definitely not a peacock, swan or cat. Maybe it came from this creature:
( link )
Link may be NSFW.

Posts: 41 | From: West Palm Beach, Florida | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saluki Worship
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 106 posted      Profile for Saluki Worship     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a person to me. It would be a fun/evil prank to play on the neighbours. I know I've thought of screaming a blood-curdling scream for no good reason, other than to scare people [Razz]
Posts: 96 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard all the animals mentioned above, including cougar, and it didn't sound like any of those.

I'm voting drunk redneck.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Somebody in terrible pain"? Just sounds like a pissed bloke heading home from the pub to me. Nothing unusual in the slightest.

I sense somoene trying to make a wee bit of cash.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kitsune26
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kitsune26     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If somebody's trying to make "Bigfoot" noises, they aren't doing very good.
I've heard "Bigfoot,"or what was suppossedly one.
The recording is to high pitched, and doesn't have the rumble-y undertone.
My vote is a camper realizing the beer, farts, and flames don't mix.

PS, not trying to sound "uppity." Just spent time camping in Bigfeets areas.

--------------------
I'm as giddy as a Japanese school girl in an octopus tank.

Posts: 641 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hubert Cumberdale
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hubert Cumberdale   E-mail Hubert Cumberdale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could it be a loon?
Posts: 835 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Priestley's Mouse
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Priestley's Mouse   E-mail Priestley's Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could it be some sort of weird wind-in-the-trees acoustic anomoly that only happens in this one spot? I heard the scream, and it sounded really "whistley" to me.

PM

--------------------
More about me...

Posts: 1156 | From: Rural Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PeterK
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeterK   E-mail PeterK   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Our house backs onto bushland (I suppose you in the US would call it "woods") and in the middle of the night soon after we moved in, we heard what sounded like repeated blood-curdling screams of a woman. We called the cops and didn't hear back from them. But we heard the screams again many nights. As it happened so frequently and often continued for an hour or more, and we never saw any stories about any horrific murders, we decided it was somebody playing a prank, maybe using recorded screams. But years later we discovered that a creature called the Barking Owl makes such noises and is found in our area. Maybe there is a similar owl in Ohio.
Posts: 670 | From: Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jackelope
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a former occasional dabbler in recreational psychedelics and other mind-alterants, I can remember myself and other friends making a similar racket out in the boonie woods for no better reason than it felt great to howl at the moon at the top of your lungs.

Mushrooms - they make nearly anything seem like fun. Sometimes I sort of miss them, but it's good to be able to distinguish basic shapes and colors nearly all the time now. [Roll Eyes]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura......The one with the rage

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
typical, the sound isn't working for me. Although i can hear all other sounds on my comp.
tanta07
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tanta07   E-mail tanta07   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeterK:
Our house backs onto bushland (I suppose you in the US would call it "woods") and in the middle of the night soon after we moved in, we heard what sounded like repeated blood-curdling screams of a woman. We called the cops and didn't hear back from them. But we heard the screams again many nights. As it happened so frequently and often continued for an hour or more, and we never saw any stories about any horrific murders, we decided it was somebody playing a prank, maybe using recorded screams. But years later we discovered that a creature called the Barking Owl makes such noises and is found in our area. Maybe there is a similar owl in Ohio.

I grew up in Kansas, and in the boonies out there were large birds (cranes, I think?) that would make a very haunting, shrill sound that could definitely raise the hairs on your neck and could easily be mistaken for a woman or child screaming.

I can't listen to the clip here at work, darn it.

Posts: 253 | From: Colorado | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mike Alexander

Icon 302 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It sounds like predator to me, idunno. But seriously, its probably someone blast speakers in the forest. A prankster maybe.
hectorcaliente
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hectorcaliente   Author's Homepage   E-mail hectorcaliente   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Im leaning towards fake. Someone out there making the noise with a boombox. Must of made the sound through his PC.
Posts: 36 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I grew up in Kansas, and in the boonies out there were large birds (cranes, I think?) that would make a very haunting, shrill sound that could definitely raise the hairs on your neck and could easily be mistaken for a woman or child screaming.
I'm glad you said that - a few years back, in the middle of the night, we heard these god awful noises that sounded like a baby being tortured, half scream, half cry noise. Didn't sound like any cat in heat I'd ever heard. We have spotted an odd Ibis or two on the island every once in a blue moon. I wonder if that's what we heard.

ETA: The sounds we heard are nothing like the ones in the OP.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperMang
Ron Mexico

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperMang     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like a drunk redneck going WOOOO!!
Posts: 8 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gizard
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gizard   E-mail gizard   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I worked with rabbits a few years back and not only would they sneeze like people, their screams (when stepped on or not wanting to be picked up) are those i would assume sounded like a woman being murdered or worse.

Maybe there are just tons of cute bunnies out where they live? (glass half full if you will)

Posts: 64 | From: Missoula, MT | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
penna

Icon 1 posted      Profile for penna   E-mail penna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i was told yesterday that the sound IS, in fact a peacock.

--------------------
if it sounds too good to be true, than it probably is....

Posts: 39 | From: Burlington, Ontario | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't sound like any peacock, or any other animal I've ever heard. I used to live next to the Woodland Park Zoo, and heard peacocks and howler monkeys nearly every morning.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eternalsaturn
Sebring-a-Ding-a-Ding

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eternalsaturn   Author's Homepage   E-mail eternalsaturn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Drunk redneck" was my first thought as well. Around these parts, something that sounded like that wouldn't be considered terribly out-of-place at all. [Wink]

--------------------
"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto

my dA page

Posts: 57 | From: Huntington, WV | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Simon Says
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Simon Says   E-mail Simon Says   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by penna:
i was told yesterday that the sound IS, in fact a peacock.

Do you have a source for this? My first thought was peacock too, until I heard the clip. A peacock sounds like a woman screaming. That sounded like a drunken Bubba screaming.
Posts: 624 | From: Kansas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup. That sounds like a drunk bloke noise to me, and i've heard plenty [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My vote is a Halloween sound effects tape. We used to play those continuous loop tapes and this strikes me as a prank by teenagers.

It's not a peacock. I worked at the Santa Fe teaching zoo with free roaming peacocks and howling gibbons. (I've also never heard a peacock that actually sounded like a woman screaming. They sound more like cats.) It's not any animal that I've ever heard of, and it doesn't sound blood-curling to me. It sounds like a Halloween sound effect.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's what a peacock sounds like, which is nothing at all like the sound in the OP.

Just for chuckles, I googled the "Liberty, Ohio scream" and there is no follow-up info about it. Seems like the screamer was a One Day Wonder.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rynn

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rynn   Author's Homepage   E-mail Rynn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds a bit like a fox. In my neighborhood growing up they used to scream like that. Sounded exactly like a person.
Posts: 50 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages