snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Appalachian State University ghost

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Appalachian State University ghost
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 301 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: i live in north carolina, which, being a southern state is rife
with superstitions and ghost stories. one such story that i am aware of
(and have even seen the site) is that East Hall at Appalachian State
University (i live an hour and 15 min. away, and will be transferring
there next fall) is haunted by the spirits of a group of students who
committed suicide sometime in the early 20th century down there.
according to the story, the students in question were kept apart from
others in the basement of East and studied constantly. apparently this
was because they were more intelligent and belonged to a school-sanctioned
group. i don't know the details, but i'm sure you could find out.

anyway, when i was down there absolutely nothing happened, except the girl
i met down there thought i was a complete idiot and decided to pretend she
could see spirits and communicate with the dead. she made a pretty big
show of it, but also made a complete fool of herself.

anyway. if you could dig up the history on this and other ASU ghost
stories, that'd be fantastic. my main question is, was there really a
mass suicide in East? because that's the crux of the whole story.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mickey Blue
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mickey Blue     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It would seem every single college/university is haunted by ghosts.

My alma mater (if thats how its spelled, I"ve only been an alum for a few months) has numerous supersticions.

1) There are two tall buildings (ten floors) used as dorms that were built in the 70s. Supposidly while they were being built the young son of one of the workmen (maybe the forman?) was riding his tricicle around and fell down the elevator shaft. Now supposidly on whatever day he died you can hear sounds of him riding his trike in the basement at midnight.. There may be a few more 'ghost story' cliche's in there.

2) Supposidly before it was a school some of the buildings were part of a hospital in civil war era (this may be true, I don't know). Apparantly you can hear/see wounded soldiers in certain areas.

3) Playing on hatred of abortion (popular in the south in general, particularly in my area) they say a certain building was 'the abortion room' during that civil war hospitals heyday. People say at midnight you can hear babies crying up there (strange since they were aborted and all).

Thats all I can remember right now.

Oh, one more, not really ghost story related but suicide related. In the tall buildings I mentioned the shower heads are extremely low (if your even average height its really annoying, I'm about six feet and the spray hits me in the mid to lower chest area). They say thats so people cannot hang themselves in the shower..

Now I suppose this 'could' be true, but alot of problems exist for me..

One, the ceiling had tons of exposed girders that you could easily hang yourself from were you so inclined.

Two, there are tons of other ways to kill yourself, why focus so much on hanging?

Three, its a ten story NFBSKing building, just jump (or hang yourself out the window).

Still, logic dosn't stop people from speculating wildly then asserting it is the truth and the president of the university (who has only been around for about five or six years) said so (or, failng the president, a professor who has been teaching there for many years).

My guess on why they are so low is because back when teh buildings were built it was an all girls college, and up until about ten years ago those two buildings were all girls dorms. Now I nkow at least a little ways back women would get hairstyles that you woudln't wash every day, so if the shower heads were lower it would be easier to take a shower without getting your hair wet.. I'll admit that is speculation as well, but I find it more likely then the suicide thing.

--------------------
"All people are responsible for the good that they didn't do"

Posts: 4774 | From: Virginia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages