snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Former Iron Butterfly Drummer a Time Traveler?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Former Iron Butterfly Drummer a Time Traveler?
chryscntedpeach
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgive me if this has been posted before. I did a search and turned up nothing.

I heard some time ago that the former drummer for Iron Butterfly, after leaving the group, started working on plans for time travel. Apparently while working on these plans he mysteriously died in what appeared to be a suicide. Some believe that the CIA was given orders to "do away" with him because he had been very close to figuring it out. I tried doing a google search on this topic to no avail. No helpful information was brought up except some info on Iron Butterfly and an online magazine article that briefly mentions it.

Has anyone else heard this before or know of any information backing up these claims? As I'm sure with many "wild" celebrity rumors this one probably isn't true. I thought it was at least interesting enough to make note of.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There was a mysterious death of an ex-member of Iron Butterfly. It wasn't Ron Bushy the drummer, but Philip Taylor Kramer, a bassist. Kramer played in a short-lived incarnation of Iron Butterfly in the mid-'70s. Read about what happened to him here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Taylor_Kramer

Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The backstory I heard about Taylor was that he became a mathematician and was working on propolsion systems for the military. Has anyone else heard this particular version?

I had never heard there was a 911 call and had always assumed, after his van was found, that it went off-road by accident. AFA him being missing, the rumors I heard were that he had come across some secret government/military knowledge and was 'silenced'.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jon Up North
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No he had developed a free energy device that allowed him to get 10,000 miles to the galon from his JATO unit and the Men In Black found out and stole his kidneys.

--------------------
We're not insured for pickles.

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No, this is the time-travelling rock star:
 -

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chickee Daizy
Live and Let Madai

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chickee Daizy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Parajay Temple YOMANK! I used to love that show when I was a kid.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkies...They don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Posts: 907 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rogue1stclass
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rogue1stclass   E-mail Rogue1stclass   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.skepticfiles.org/evenmore/kramer2.htm

This was written before he was found. Just...wow.

Posts: 195 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hectorcaliente
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 104 posted      Profile for hectorcaliente   Author's Homepage   E-mail hectorcaliente   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After reading the notes about this person, I gotta say that he most likely faked his death to save his families income. He has to be living somehwere else other then this country, and possibly has had a change of identity.
Posts: 36 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hectorcaliente:
After reading the notes about this person, I gotta say that he most likely faked his death to save his families income. He has to be living somehwere else other then this country, and possibly has had a change of identity.

Most likely? You think that's the most likely outcome? What, because of all the death-faking that goes on, but you never hear of it because it's covered up by, er, the Mafia or something?

Out of interest, what other likely, but not-as-likely outcomes have you investigated and dismissed? You know, from the notes and all? I personally think you're being unduly hasty in ruling out the Freemasons at this early stage. The all-seeing eye and all that.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hectorcaliente

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hectorcaliente   Author's Homepage   E-mail hectorcaliente   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dara:
quote:

Most likely? You think that's the most likely outcome? What, because of all the death-faking that goes on, but you never hear of it because it's covered up by, er, the Mafia or something?

Out of interest, what other likely, but not-as-likely outcomes have you investigated and dismissed? You know, from the notes and all? I personally think you're being unduly hasty in ruling out the Freemasons at this early stage. The all-seeing eye and all that.

You need to stop watching the X-files, and beam your Halle pop chasing *ss back to reality. Why dont you do yourself a favor and go back to your reading of the Reverend Jim Jones, and let the rest of us speak our minds like this Country has allowed us to, before you start biting at poeple.
Posts: 36 | From: San Diego | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dara:
quote:

You need to stop watching the X-files, and beam your Halle pop chasing *ss back to reality. Why dont you do yourself a favor and go back to your reading of the Reverend Jim Jones, and let the rest of us speak our minds like this Country has allowed us to, before you start biting at poeple.
I really don't understand. What evidence have I given you to suggest that I do, chase, read or believe any of those things? I was disputing your assertion that the most likely explanation for someone's death is a hard-to-believe conspiracy theory, and I don't see how so doing makes me the tinfoil hat wearer here.

And a bit of civility costs nothing.

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hectorcaliente

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hectorcaliente   Author's Homepage   E-mail hectorcaliente   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
because you are leaning towards MIB propaganda.
that because he dissapeared, immediately you think that the Gov't had something to do with it.
yet there has been so many cases where poeple will fake their deaths when bankruptcy is near. I never said that i solved this mystery. I just simply wrote down what I though happend, based on reading the articles that are provided.
Besides, the fact, I was told that they can't read your thoughts if you wear that tin foil.
 -

Doc J.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
that because he dissapeared, immediately you think that the Gov't had something to do with it.

Er . . . where exactly did Dara say that ?
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

quote:

Actually, I think you'll find I specifically named the Freemasons. But that's really by the by, and I don't want to have to explain sarcasm to you.

quote:
yet there has been so many cases where poeple will fake their deaths when bankruptcy is near.

Really? I can think of one, and it was from the 1960s, a British MP called John Stonehouse. . I knew two people who actually committed suicide largely because of financial problems, and bearing in mind the fact that they found his van, and his body, I don't understand why you have decided that the most likely option is that he faked his own death. I think the most likely option is that he brought about his own death.

quote:
I never said that i solved this mystery. I just simply wrote down what I though happend, based on reading the articles that are provided.

But is it really more likely that he is alive and living under an assumed name than dead? Even if it were true, wouldn't it still be unlikely? And did you read the article where they found his van and human remains?

quote:

Besides, the fact, I was told that they can't read your thoughts if you wear that tin foil.

That is true. But I prefer to put tinfoil inside my normal hat. I reckon it does the same job, and at least no-one knows I'm barking.

--------------------

Billy Biggles
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Billy Biggles   Author's Homepage   E-mail Billy Biggles   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't fall for it, lads. There is no such person as Hector Caliente. It's the alter ego of Silas Sparkhammer. Silas has taken to rebuckling his knickerbockers below the knee. See, there's a nicotine stain on his index finger, and he's got a dime novel hidden in the corn crib. He's memorizing jokes from Capt. Billy's Whiz Bang. Certain words are creeping into his conversation - words like "swell" and "So's your old man".

I weep for the future of America.

--------------------
Cogito ergo sum, non sum qualis eram. Putting Descartes before the Horace every time.

Posts: 377 | From: East Anglia, UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rogue1stclass
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rogue1stclass   E-mail Rogue1stclass   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, it's most likely that he's dead, considering they found him, and he was dead. In his van. In a ravine.

I don't know, however, whether or not Stairway to Heaven was still playing on his radio.

Posts: 195 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rogue1stclass:
...In his van. In a ravine...

Looks like he's not going to have much free time for living in a van down by the river...
Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hectorcaliente

quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:
quote:

Its called sarcasm.
Doc J.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Its called sarcasm.
[lol]

Yeah, right.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dara bhur gCara

quote:
quote:
quote:

Its called sarcasm.
Earlier in this thread, I posted this:

quote:
Originally posted by Me
Actually, I think you'll find I specifically named the Freemasons. But that's really by the by, and I don't want to have to explain sarcasm to you.

I was suggesting in this post that most people, including you, would know what sarcasm is, so it would be patronising and unnecessary to have to explain to you what sarcasm is. I realise now that this is not the case. I apologise, and withdraw my earlier statement.

--------------------

hectorcaliente

Its all good! I apologize for my rudeness.
Atlanta Jake
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atlanta Jake   E-mail Atlanta Jake   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Billy Biggles:
Don't fall for it, lads. There is no such person as Hector Caliente. It's the alter ego of Silas Sparkhammer. Silas has taken to rebuckling his knickerbockers below the knee. See, there's a nicotine stain on his index finger, and he's got a dime novel hidden in the corn crib. He's memorizing jokes from Capt. Billy's Whiz Bang. Certain words are creeping into his conversation - words like "swell" and "So's your old man".

I weep for the future of America.

Ho-Leee crap! Billy, do you listen to Banks & Shane much?

I thought they were a strictly Atlanta Phenomenon. Are you from around here?

I havn't heard this quote in years (I have it on 8track!) [lol]

Atlanta "Who is iiiiit?" Jake

--------------------
Remember Kids, Don't try this at home!

Posts: 1366 | From: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages