snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Haunted Doll in Florida?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Haunted Doll in Florida?
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother told me there's someplace in Florida (Key West, maybe?) with a 5 foot doll that's haunted. I think he said the name of the doll was Robert. I don't know why it's haunted, all he said was someone worked at the place it's at, and the doll moves about in an attic or upstairs section of the house, freaking people out. I don't know if people actually see this thing move or not.

Does anyone know what he's talking about, or is someone just sending him b.s. stories?

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know about Robert. I'll have to dig around this afternoon to see if I can find the page somebody linked me to, but I know whoever told your brother wasn't making the story up himself.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ctown28
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ctown28   E-mail ctown28   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The story can be found here:

http://www.hauntedtours.com/Robert.html

Posts: 143 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ali Gator
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ali Gator         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This story was on a TV show a couple of times last year. I think it was on Travel Channel's Haunted Travels.

The Horror Channel - Robert The Doll

A Very Scary Doll

Posts: 63 | From: Iowa | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saraquill
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone post clips of those webpages on this thread? The doll looks too creepy for me to really read those links.

Sara Quill

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
He doesn't look scary to me in the main picture (except the cheesy, fakey "evil" pic with the ripped grin. Even that doesn't scare me, it just looks stupid.). But I used to work in a doll museum, and I'm used to being around older dolls than that that can look like they came from beyond the bowels of the earth if the lighting is low in a room.Which they were, or else you'd damage the doll's clothes and "skin". Ever seen a creepy looking doll from the 1800's with teeth in a dimly lit musuem? Boogah boogah!!!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This quote appears right next to a picture of the doll:

quote:
One of Robert's favorite activites is to prevent his photo
from being taken. Visitors have reported a variety of camera
malfunctions and Robert's favorite trick is to black out his
own photo, while leaving the remaining film unharmed.

And yet, the picture is still there.
Giselle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giselle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly off topic but does anyone rememeber the doll that was on unsolved mysteries or some show like it where a doll that looked a lot like Robert was featured? He was not nearly as tall afaik but he had that same creepy washed out face.

--------------------
Ralphie, get off the stage sweetheart.

Posts: 2041 | From: Yuba City, California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bach_girl
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bach_girl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Great grandmother used to have dolls in her attic that freaked me out. They had TEETH. Little, sharp, shiny, creepy TEETH. Yikes.

--------------------
"My Very Educated Mother Just Said Uh-oh! No...Pluto..."~ Steven Colbert

Posts: 3256 | From: Somewhere in Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nutcracker soldiers are, IMO, equally freaky.

They BITE!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
boogers
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for boogers   Author's Homepage   E-mail boogers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Chucky doll has knocked over a dried plant display twice by falling on it and yesterday it knocked a power drill off the footstool I have it on. I keep telling myself that Chucky only moves because of the vibrations from my feet as I walk about the house.

At least I hope that's the only reason that thing moves.

Posts: 1111 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady L
Squall of Me

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Lady L   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
slightly OT, but I remember as a child getting freaked out because of a toy my older sisters had. I think it was called Saxy the Clown and it would turn on by itself in the middle of the night constantly. I think Mom and Dad finally threw it out after one too many nights of my sisters screaming for help when it would turn on.

--------------------
The Snopester formerly known as RooBug

Posts: 556 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh, don't get me started on clown dolls [shudder]. And thanks to Mr. King, I now have similar problems with cymbal-playing monkeys.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, clown dolls rule! Sorry, for some reason Chloe's post reminded me of the time (about two years ago) when I got robbed. Neighbours reported seeing several teens around my home at the time but nobody was ever identified or caught. Sadly they got away with several of my and my son's toys (including a swing of his and my telescope). Oddly they left "Mr. Clown" (a clown marrientte) on the front porch picnic table. I still like to believe they got freaked out by the thing. Wouldn't that be great if he was saved because someone thought he was too errie to take? He's now back to hanging from my mantle with his big stupid grin on his face.

I also had to laugh at "Robert" not allowing himself to be photographed beside a photograph or "Robert".

Additional: I just think I should also mention that I have the greatest friends in all the world IMHO. Most everything was replaced by people I know (there was only a few hundred dollars worth of loss so I didn't file an insurance claim). The telescope was the most expensive item, I don't think anything else that was taken cost more than $20. I actually ended up with 3 new telescopes from various caring friends... I actually thought about starting a yard sell and selling telescopes by the yard. I'm very thankful for all the wonderful people I know who will always see me through the shit times in my life. Still, I feel very violated but at least I'm proud of my clown that escaped its potential kidnappers.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 301 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While it wasn't haunted, in grade school I got a doll in an Asian costume (Yet the face of the doll was clearly Caucasion. Go figure.) at a school "yard sale". It was maybe 20 inches tall or so. When my brother saw it, he knew the kid who sold it, and said, "You won't have that doll too long. It scared the her outta his sister." I asked why, and he wouldn't say.

I put it on my bureau and that night, I felt creepy and I couldn't guess why. I looked at the new doll, and realised it was her eyes. I can't explain why. It wasn't one of those freaky dolls where it looks like the eyes follow you or anything, and the eyes weren't damaged or hazy like some older dolls get. (In older, 1800's dolls, the age turns the colors of dolls eyes, and they get a weird "doll glaucoma".) But whatever it was, the doll began to creep me out.

Even in daylight, the thing started to creep the hell outta me. The eyes were just evil looking to me. (I must've been 10 or 11 at the time.) One night, the doll fell over between the bureau and the wall, and I thought, "Thank God, that thing can't stare at me while I sleep anymore." Of course, I was also freaking out that I heard it fall while I was trying to get to sleep (or was it walking? Brrr...)

Weeks later, while cleaning my room, I notcied the doll wasn't anywhere in the room. It creeped out Mom when she had first seen it, but she wouldn't take anything from me without telling me. Which means it either got up and left the house, or my brother snuck into my room and got rid of it. Of course, the brother idea didn't ocur to me until many years later. I had a lot of restless nights wondering where the hell the Asian doll went, what it did while I was sleeping...

Gah! I do not miss that damned doll from hell.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sort of OT:

When I was young and my mom was in better health, she used to sew all the time. One of the things she made were Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls. She made a large (about 4 feel tall standing) and small set (about the size of a normal doll).

I recall that I was scared to death of the large dolls and that I would not go into the room where they were. This was about the same time that I started freaking when I saw red LEDs. I believe that there was some weird stuff going on in the house I grew up in until we moved out when I was 7. I recall my dad saying years later that the guy who had owned the house before had killed his wife there, but he doesn't remember telling me that. My mom said I was an interesting child because I'd know who was calling (remember, way before caller id was around, about 4 years old or so) and I'd 'see' people who weren't there (not to be confused with imaginary friends; these were people that had either died or were close to dying at the time).

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
laurenh1982

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoy the description... "The original "Chucky," Robert the Doll, has been said to
resemble everything from Michael Jackson to Curious George.

mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
slight hijack/
Otaku, my little cousin saw people who were dead about 2 years ago--she would have been about three. She was at my aunt and uncles house--which is over 100 years old. No wonder she likes to go to cemetaries [Smile]

/end hijack/

Yeah, Lauren, I saw that description too...how dare they compare that thing to Curious George! [Big Grin]

Can a doll be haunted? I have yet to see one for myself, but my grandma had a doll that smelled like vomit. After my mom acquired it, she sunned the doll for a few days, and still couldn't air the damn thing out.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DesertRat
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DesertRat     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Nutcracker soldiers are, IMO, equally freaky.
I concur. I HATE those things.

--------------------
High on the wind, the Highland drums begin to roll, and something from the past just comes and stares into my soul... --Mark Knopfler

Posts: 3402 | From: New Bern, NC | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Strawberries 'n Sugar
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Strawberries 'n Sugar   E-mail Strawberries 'n Sugar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Could someone post clips of those webpages on this thread? The doll looks too creepy for me to really read those links.
As TrishDaDish said, it isn't a very scary doll. It looks more like an old potato or something. If you still don't want to look, I believe that the second link that Ali Gator posted doesn't contain any pictures.

I just wish that there was a picture of it that showed how big it is. The websites seem to have the same picture of it.

Strawberries "then again, it does hate being photographed" 'n Sugar

--------------------
I made it!
-Me

Posts: 298 | From: Eau Claire, WI; formerly Bloomington, MN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IckleMissPhonics

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckleMissPhonics   E-mail IckleMissPhonics   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember years ago, I once read an newspaper article about a haunted doll, it was one of those andy/ann dolls (I just vagually remember the name) those dolls that have the red woolen hair and a red triangle shaped nose. Well this doll used to cause a lot of things including throwing objects etc... it got so out of hand that I had to be put in a museum, in a glass box. As I said, this was an old article well over 15 years old, it scared the living daylights out of me, I refused to remember the full story!!

--------------------
"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasle"...Edmund Blackadder

"Is anyone, going, anywhere???"

Posts: 47 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
IckleMissPhonics

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckleMissPhonics   E-mail IckleMissPhonics   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In fact, talking of the haunted 'ann' doll, I came across this

Haunted 'Ann' Doll

--------------------
"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasle"...Edmund Blackadder

"Is anyone, going, anywhere???"

Posts: 47 | From: Northern Ireland | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wild.Otaku
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wild.Otaku   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wild.Otaku   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just finished reading the story and it gave me the creeps all over again. Granted the dolls my mom made didn't do stuff like that, but they were freaky to me none the less.

I still have the dolls. They're in a plastic container in the basement where they'll stay until I sell them or give them away.

I'm still trying to figure out my fear to red LEDs.

--------------------
Tom, we're flying a giant robot into space! "Safe" isn't the first word that springs to mind! - Colleen, Last Hope, Vol.2

Posts: 2710 | From: Meet me in St. Louis | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ever since reading a great collection of short stories about haunted dolls (I'd give anything to remember the title) several years ago, I've been creeped out by them.

My husband's grandmother has dolls that were made with real hair from one of her granddaughters - [Eek!] eeewwwwwww......I won't go anywhere near them if we're over at her house.

Posts: 1093 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages