snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » S C topic from TN/NC's I-40 at the edge of the Great Smokies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: S C topic from TN/NC's I-40 at the edge of the Great Smokies
Coal Glow Kidd
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Coal Glow Kidd   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Worldwide, truck drivers tell tall tales. We take most with a grain of salt of which some may be transporting that too. Here's mine I'll never figure out from 1989.

I bought and still own a Scania for transporting the finest timber America could grow. It was loaded with Illinois veneer White Oak headed to a new veneer mill in eastern Virginia a 760 mile trip. It was 4:00 am as I pulled into the first rest area out of Tennessee at the North Carolina line. There was one spot left on the end next to a grassey median. Cars on the right,....trucks on the left. I pulled straight in and set the brake on my Swedish truck. One of 600 imported to the USA, and the only one with a "brush guard"-"deer killer" fold down grill guard.

I ate some cakes with milk, and to my amazement I perked up quickly. I noticed a truck comming in with his lights on bright. He then stopped to my left, behind me. I said on the CB radio, " I'm ready to leave now. You can have my spot." He said nothing in response so I reversed moving 80,000 lbs 6-8 feet. I stopped like hitting a wall!! I'd hit the front of a truck that was mostly blocking the car entrance. I did'nt see it pull in behind me! I got a sick feeling as I jammed the brake. The damage was done and I had 1.5 million safe miles.

I got my flashlight and wondered if there was a long log hanging over a bit,... I could'nt remember. There was no overhang, AND there was no damage to the truck I'd just slammed! I lit it up,....nothing,....the radiator should have been in the fan,...it should'nt be running,....it was! I rubbed my hand over the smooth white metal. I looked for anti-freeze under the motor,....none anywhere! The Caterpiller motor had it's familiar sound. It was in perfect shape. I was flabbergasted!

The driver was in the rest area building and never came out while I stood there scratching my head waiting. I kept saying to myself, "What do I tell him? I've hit your truck but there's no damage?" To my left a truck left a space open, and I pulled left to park there.

It was breaking dawn as I looked at the white new cabover Freightliner sitting there running. I laid my head down over the wheel to rest,......to wait. It was gone when I woke up 15 minutes later!

--------------------
So if you're tired of the same old story,....Oh, turn some pages. REO Speedwagon from Champaign,Urbana, Illinois.

Posts: 73 | From: Evansville, Indiana | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages