snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Polybius

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Polybius
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I was wondering about the urban legend of the game "Polybius",
which has quite a story behind it.

More info can be found here:
http://coinop.org/g.aspx/103223/Polybius.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 601 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Someone says it was a prank.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oni
Noah's Lark

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Oni   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oni   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All documents relating to this game point back to the original source of
http://coinop.org/g.aspx/103223/Polybius.html

I would think it was a hoax, since only one souce can be found on it and it's not even all that reliable.

http://www.gooddealgames.com/articles/Videogame%20Urban%20Legend%20-%20Polybius.html

--------------------
"Oh! Look at Godzilla go! I'll tell ya, there's no seafood lover in him!"

-Tom Servo, "Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster"

Posts: 75 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rainbowmonk
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
from Good Deal Games:

Polybius was a puzzle game that had a very limited release, reportededly restricted to less than a dozen arcades in a small Portland suburb.

I'm not sure to which Portland they are referring, but I would assume that a "small Portland suburb" would certainly have far less than a dozen arcades. I don't think they really have to explicitly say "less than a dozen". Anyone know of a Portland suburb with that many arcades?

[edited for clarity]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mikprosser
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is obviously a hoax, I searched all around the net and all I've found were two articles about it, and the second article just seems to get all of it's information from the first one.

And it's also kind of odd that they only have a screenshot of the title screen and not any gameplay, nor do they even describe the gameplay in any way. Oh yeah, and the stuff about men in black suits pretty much proves that this is BS.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JOJO
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 01 posted      Profile for JOJO     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got one of the older books on snopes' main page, "Rumor". It has something in it similar, but the video game is a test for hand eye
co-ordination used by the army for recruitment. The thing that really poped that rumor into my head was a mention of "men in black suits", if I recall correctly, they're in the original legand too.

-Jo "not these guys" Jo

Posts: 129 | From: uOttawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 401 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The wording scrams UL to me. "The history of this game is cloudy, there were all kinds of strange stories about how kids who played it got amnesia afterwards, couldn't remember their name or where they lived, etc." Ooo! ETC! [Razz]

A comment someone posted:
quote:
I think Polybius was the name of a many-eyed monster in Greek mythology.
Actually, she's thinking of Polyphemus and he was a cyclops. Uh, that was the first thing I thought of, too. [dunce]

Edit: Wait a minute...Polyphemus aside, when I said the name of that game out loud, it sounds like "Poly-BS." Let's see..."Poly" means "many" but can it also mean "much" so this game can translate to "Much BS?" [Razz]

Edit again: Turns out Polybius was a historian.

Posts: 1377 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It also sounds like Poly-by-us.

LittleDuck

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages