snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Satanic cults in America (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Satanic cults in America
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The most famous "satanic ritual abuse" case stemming from the so-called "satanic panic" I can think of is the West Memphis Three. Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley were convicted of ritualistic torture and murder of three boys on a case that consisted mostly on a preconceived public opinion that the boys were Evil Satanic Wiccans. Two are serving life in prison while the third is awaiting lethal injection.

The story reads like a bad Law & Order episode.

Here is the most objective piece I can find - most people documenting the event very clearly lean towards the three being innocent, for very good reason. There have to be at least a dozen different grounds for an appeal.

Alchemy

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lola
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Philly ritual killings

I'll try and find the follow up on this.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alchemy's Ghost:
The most famous "satanic ritual abuse" case stemming from the so-called "satanic panic" I can think of is the West Memphis Three.

The link I posted earlier for the Religious Tolerance site on Satanism has a link to an article on that case as well. I haven't read it to tell how objective it might be, but it is at least another article on the subject.

Noemi "and you are quite welcome res [Smile] "

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
evilbeth

quote:
The most famous "satanic ritual abuse" case stemming from the so-called "satanic panic" I can think of is the West Memphis Three. Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley were convicted of ritualistic torture and murder of three boys on a case that consisted mostly on a preconceived public opinion that the boys were Evil Satanic Wiccans. Two are serving life in prison while the third is awaiting lethal injection.

The story reads like a bad Law & Order episode.

Here is the most objective piece I can find - most people documenting the event very clearly lean towards the three being innocent, for very good reason. There have to be at least a dozen different grounds for an appeal.

Alchemy

This is a very serious example of the harm that Satanic panic can cause. A man is going to be executed if his sentence is not commuted or if DNA evidence doesn't come back proving his innocence in less than two months.
Ghost on Toast
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Ghost on Toast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: Philly Murders-

QUOTE: "The body of Willie J. "Pete" Kent, a 60-year-old street person, was found Feb. 28 inside an abandoned rowhouse in North Philadelphia. His neck, which had a rope around it, bore vicious slice wounds. His torso had been nonsurgically cut open, and his heart, liver, one of his kidneys, and the top of his esophagus had been removed. Whether Kent was murdered has yet to be determined."

Whether or not he had been murdered has yet to be determined!!!
I'm kinda guessing that kind of suicide isn't entirely easy...

Posts: 884 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Devil-worship killers tend to act on their own, as they are more often than not suffering hallucinations and working in tandem with another might either A) Ruin their delusions or B) Clash with their personality. Son of Sam believed that his neighbor's dog spoke with the voice of Satan and instructed him to kill; Richard Ramirez's killings were Satanically motivated; the Zodiac killer had warped notions of Hell as an eternal paradise in which he would be supreme ruler and enslave the souls of those he killed.

The closest you'll get to an actual Satanic Cult related murder is the Tate-LaBianca killings perpetuated by Charles Manson's "family," who were led to believe that Manson was in fact the devil himself (and Jesus, and an angel, and one of the four horsemen), and that a hole in Death Valley would take them to Hell to hide when blacks began exterminating whites.

Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost on Toast:
Whether or not he had been murdered has yet to be determined!!!

I suppose there's the (very small) possibility that the guy had died of exposure, a heart attack, or whatever and that all the mutilation was post-mortem...
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I once talked with a counselor who told me an interesting story. She had a client who claimed to have been abused by a satanic cult for years, had 4 or 5 babies from the age of 13-22, all of them sacrificed to Satan.

Well, at least one problem here- the girl had been examined by medical doctors who could find no proof she had ever been pregnant. When confronted with this, her reaction was quite interesting; the cult must have used it's magic to make it look like she was never pregnant.

Proof of mental disturbance? Probably- but, it may also be proof of just what you can get people to believe when you push the right buttons. Maybe that's why we are all here in the Urban legend page. Quite a few of the stories we hear are possible and believable, others seem ridiculous. But, when you hear that story over and over, or someone offers "proof" of some sort, even sane rational people start to believe in things that are not only untrue, but you would think someone would see they are obviously untrue.

So, is there Satanism in America- yes, there are perfectly legal churches of Satan, and there are a few people who perform violent acts in Satan's name, and there is some evidence that there may be "secret groups" hiding here and there. But, is group "A" working with group "B" overseas in some giant conspiracy? Sounds like an urban legend to me.

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

quote:

I, at one time, followed this case very closely, and while the satanic angle was played up highly, during the trials, those who are still on the guilty side of the fence are not so, just based on the idea of satanism, many of them find that angle to be laughable, while still maintaining that the three are guilty. Anyone who is interested in the story can find ample information online about it, and there are also two HBO documentaries surrounding it, "Paradise Lost", and "Paradise lost 2". How objective those movies are, well, not terribly objective, especially the second one. The filmmakers did actually believe that they were going to film a movie about three true satanists, when they started work on the first film, but changed their mind during filming(and you'll know why once you watch it).

I will also comment that actually the most famous satanic ritual abuse case, on the books, is not the WM3 one, but rather the McMartin Preschool case, which was the catalyst for the widespread satanic panic that occurred during the '80s. There is also the Dale Akiki case, which happened here, in San Diego, in the early '90's, and was like a bad flash back to the earlier McMartin Preschool case. I am sure there is information on both of those cases, online, if one wanted to google for them.

Dizzy "child of the 80s" Lizard

resELution

Icon 219 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps it would be best to think of those who kill in "Satan's name" as one would tend to think of those who kill in "the name of Jesus." They are extreamists who do not represent the veiws of those they claim association with.

Satanism is not evangelical or cult like in nature. Claims by some suposed Satanists or Satanic vitems of being recruited or forced to join/participate raise my eyebrow a bit.

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First off The FBI could not find their hand in front of their face. It would be very hard to find true satanists. A true satanic cult is embedded in society. They keep quiet about their affiliation with said cult.The satanists would also look like the average person(again embedded into society). They would not look like the typical Hollywood rendition of a satanist. There is a very well researched book on a worldwide satanic cult which performs ritualized killings. This book traces the roots of these killings. there is reference clear back to the manson days, and even mention of the Zodiak killer. (who was never caught) This book mainly deals with the Son of Sam and the cult in New York. The book is called The Ultimate Evil: An Investigation into a Dangerous Satanic Cult
by Maury Terry . Amazon.com states it is out of print but I am sure your local used bookstore will have a few copies. In my opinion it would be very probable that there is a worldwide Satanic cult. Mabye the Government is involved in this. This would explain why the FBI disavows it's existance.

Zachary Fizz

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In my opinion it would be very probable that there is a worldwide Satanic cult. Mabye the Government is involved in this. This would explain why the FBI disavows it's existance.
Satanic fishslap [fish]
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

quote:
Originally posted by Chris:
This book mainly deals with the Son of Sam....

Who claimed Satanic worship, but rather was suffering from severe mental illness.

Dizzy "just because someone says the words, it doesn't make them true" Lizard

Mouse

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Mouse   E-mail Mouse   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
During the Satanic Panic of the eighties (fostered by the Recovered Memory fad, another fallacy) Law enforcement did large scale investigations into Satanic cults. This is what they found.
The primary cults consist of large scale organizations like the Church of Satan (which has nothing to do with any killings), teenagers who experiment with the occult and maybe draw a few pentagrams or sacrifice a stray cat or dog (they are few and far between), and sick and disturbed individuals who act on some impulse telling them to kill.
There is nothing that suggests that their is a secret network of Satanists who live amongst us all the while committing unspeakable crimes. The FBI has found no bones, no blood, no nothing to suggest that. No one can committ such crimes and leave behind no trace. Too many people have been sent to jail over fallacious allegations.
[flame] [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"You see? The mysteries of the Universe are revealed when you break stuff." Coop from MegasXLR

"I distrust who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -- Susan B. Anthony

Posts: 2246 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Maury Terry book is out of print for the very good reason that the courts ruled that it had libelled the Church of Satan.
Oh yeah, and also because it was a load of cr*p.

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Felessan

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Felessan   E-mail Felessan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DizzyLizard:
quote:

I, at one time, followed this case very closely, and while the satanic angle was played up highly, during the trials, those who are still on the guilty side of the fence are not so, just based on the idea of satanism, many of them find that angle to be laughable, while still maintaining that the three are guilty. Anyone who is interested in the story can find ample information online about it, and there are also two HBO documentaries surrounding it, "Paradise Lost", and "Paradise lost 2". How objective those movies are, well, not terribly objective, especially the second one. The filmmakers did actually believe that they were going to film a movie about three true satanists, when they started work on the first film, but changed their mind during filming(and you'll know why once you watch it).

I will also comment that actually the most famous satanic ritual abuse case, on the books, is not the WM3 one, but rather the McMartin Preschool case, which was the catalyst for the widespread satanic panic that occurred during the '80s. There is also the Dale Akiki case, which happened here, in San Diego, in the early '90's, and was like a bad flash back to the earlier McMartin Preschool case. I am sure there is information on both of those cases, online, if one wanted to google for them.

Dizzy "child of the 80s" Lizard

Religious Tolerance.org has some good pages on these topics.

McMartin Case:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/ra_mcmar.htm

Dale Akiki case:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/ra_akiki.htm

West Memphis Three case:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/ra_robin.htm
See also
http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/famous/memphis/index_1.html?sect=7

All are very informative.

--------------------
You fool! That's not a warrior, that's a banana!
- a surreal moment in a role-playing game

Posts: 2480 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Noemi

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Noemi   E-mail Noemi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In my opinion it would be very probable that there is a worldwide Satanic cult. Mabye the Government is involved in this. This would explain why the FBI disavows it's existance.

reselution, you never told us you were part of a world-wide conspiracy! Remember this old heathen when you guys take over, k? [Roll Eyes]

Noemi

--------------------
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
My blog, no guarantees about witty or intelligent content. My current projects.
Coveted Beads <---- our eBay store, new items being added somewhat regularly

Posts: 8418 | From: Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 107 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Last week I saw a “documentary” on German TV about “Satanic cults in Germany”. It was embarrasing to watch. All the “witnesses” were people with Multiple Personality Disorder, (not my words, it’s as they were called in the documentary) telling how their parents forced them to sacrifice babies and such. The only supposedly “sane” witness was a sister who gave basically the same testimony. This was deemed particularly relevant.

They showed a hall in a German castle called the Wewelsburg where some of these rituals supposedly took place. Now I know this castle, it was the headquarter of Heinrich Himmler, now a museum and youth hostel. The idea of secret satanic rituals being held there is preposterous: the place is closely watched to prevent neonazis gathering there as a place of pilgrimage.

This was all brought as serious investigation.

Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have put off replying to this string for a reason- I wanted to see who said what.

The last person to write wrote a good point- one that could be "repeated" many times over in many different settings. There have been many "witnesses" who said "this happened here" when "here" turns out to be a place that is closely monitored, or a little too public.

Years ago I talked with a therapist about this subject. She did have a few clients who told believeable stories, so some of these satanic groups may exist. However, is there some group in England that is closely associated with some group in Los Angeles? Very unlikely. More than likely, there are a few people, here and there, that do worship Satan separate from others, but the evidence for even this is lacking.

More likely- I became an amateur psychologist and documented a psychological phenomenon I call the "suddenly everybody" syndrome.

About 10 years ago, someone finds a syringe in their Pepsi. Suddenly, over the next few weeks, lots of people start finding foreign matter in their Pepsi. Then, magically, it all went away when a woman was caught, on camera, slipping a Syringe into her Pepsi.

A few year before this, someone came up with a diagnosis of ADD- suddenly, difficult children aren't "spoiled" or purposely annoying, they have a medical problem. OK- sounds good- until suddenly millions of children are taking medication. You see what I mean? One child gets diagnosed with a condition, and "suddenly everybody" needs drugs, therapy, ritalin, etc etc etc. Now our kids are getting loaded up with pills.

Satanism is much the same. There may be a few people here and there that experienced something- something terrible, something real- but then, for years, millions of people are suddenly "remembering" and "having flashbacks". Suddenly America, and soon the world, are full of underground cults. "Suddenly everybody" is a victim of satanic ritual abuse.

Well, at least one problem. The therapist I mentioned earlier, talked about one of her clients who claims to have had 3 or 4 children from her teens through her early twenties, all of whom were sacrificed to Satan. Possible? Well, why don't people notice that this girl is always preganant, but never has children? Why can't medical doctors find proof she was ever pregnant even one time? (she had a check up) Her reply when confronted with this evidence "O, the group used their magic to make it look like I was never pregnant". Hmm- how interesting. We go from the possible, to the insane.

So, everyone- go to bed, sleep well- the boogey man is not out to get you. And remember, the next time someone is the victim of some rare medical condition, alien abduction, Satanic abuse, or whatever- just because it may have happened to someone else, does not mean it's true, and it does not mean that it happened to you.

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DizzyLizard

Very good post, Cobra. I agree with the bulk of what you said, but I do take a bit of an issue with the following:

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra4J:
A few year before this, someone came up with a diagnosis of ADD- suddenly, difficult children aren't "spoiled" or purposely annoying, they have a medical problem. OK- sounds good- until suddenly millions of children are taking medication. You see what I mean? One child gets diagnosed with a condition, and "suddenly everybody" needs drugs, therapy, ritalin, etc etc etc. Now our kids are getting loaded up with pills.

Yes, this is going OT, sorry - The ADD/ADHD phenomenon was much as you described, but, I do believe that this is a real medical problem that does affect some children. How many? I don't know, but I do know what my own experiences are, and can vouch for the need of medical intervention, in some cases. My son has severe ADHD. He is on medication, and goes to therapy every other week. His behavior, and performance at school, in the last year that we've had him on medicine has improved 150%, it is undeniable to anybody who has every had any regular interaction with him. We can tell when he's not had his medicine, in the morning. It's that obvious, and there is much of it that he cannot control, himself. His therapy is to help him with the problems that are due to the decisions he makes, as opposed to the impulses his brain sends his body. We did everything that we could before finally agreeing to try medication, we didn't want to do it, but it has made a world of difference for everyone in our family, his teachers, peers, etc.

Now, before anyone decides to lay into me for "drugging" my child, a few more pieces of information. The medication that he is on is a stimulant. Generally, those who are not truly ADD/ADHD will respond to the medication as such, not, as a calming agent. I care for five children, ages 8, 6, 6, 5, 1 1/2, three are my own, and two are my step-daughters, and my oldest son is the only one who is on any type of medication, for anything. We provide structure, and believe in discipline, and it works well for the majority of our family, but my son's hyperactivity is a huge exception, and all the more noticable, in contrast to the rest of our children.

One more thing, I also know a number of people who, when ADD/ADHD became the "thing" would label their children as such, and blame anything, and everything they did, on it, but these same people never actually took their children in to see a Doctor for a proper diagnosis. They were just playing armchair pediatrician, and coming to their own conclusions. Furthermore, if it happened that it was the case, with their child(ren), they weren't doing anything to help them, they just gave them a label, in order to explain away the behavior. I would say that that type of parent probably makes up the majority of the widespread "outbreak" of ADD/ADHD that happened some years back. From what I know, having talked extensively with my son's principal, the actual percentage of children on prescription medication for ADD/ADHD is quite low, in comparison to the number of kids who are labelled as such.

Dizzy "one of my munchkins, can ya tell?" Lizard

Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

I wasn't planning on getting into ADD, so lets save most of this for another string.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I absolutely believe some children do have a real condition that causes them to be hyper- and, as in your case, medication helped.

But, several things come to my mind. I grew up in the 1970s, I recall my early childhood experiences rather well. In each of my gradeschool classrooms there were 20-30 children, of which there were only 1 or 2 per grade that I would look back on as probably having ADD. Today, how many children are on medication? 1 in 20? 2 in 20? 3 in 20? I've had friends who are teachers who complain about half of their classrooms seem to be hyper. What's happening to our children?

Did your doctor tell you there may be alternatives to medication? A change in diet can be of great help for many children with ADD.

In any case, glad your child is doing better.

Now, back to the subject. Anyone see the devil lately?

DizzyLizard

Icon 107 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the explination. I thought that was probably your take on it, but I wasn't sure, and I am a bit sensitive about the subject matter. It's all good, though, and yes, we tried diet changes before starting the medication, and it helped, but only slightly(also very difficult to manage with two separate households).

Dizzy "Now back to our regularly scheduled satanic worship  - " Lizard

StarlandVocalBand

Icon 107 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Satanic waffles.
StarlandVocalBand

Icon 218 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Satanism is much the same. There may be a few people here and there that experienced something- something terrible, something real- but then, for years, millions of people are suddenly "remembering" and "having flashbacks". Suddenly America, and soon the world, are full of underground cults. "Suddenly everybody" is a victim of satanic ritual abuse.

One of the truly amazing stories is that of Laurel Willson, who wrote (under the pen name "Lauren Stratford") the bestselling book Satan's Underground, which purported to be a true account of her sufferings at the hands of Satanic ritual abusers. It was quite thoroughly debunked in the late 1980s.

Fascinatingly enough, Ms. Willson later turned up in the public eye with a new pseudonym, "Laura Grabowski." This time she claimed to be a survivor of the Holocaust, specifically of Auschwitz and the experiments of Josef Mengele.

pinqy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But, several things come to my mind. I grew up in the 1970s, I recall my early childhood experiences rather well. In each of my gradeschool classrooms there were 20-30 children, of which there were only 1 or 2 per grade that I would look back on as probably having ADD. Today, how many children are on medication? 1 in 20? 2 in 20? 3 in 20?

See, there's thing...I was one of those children in your class that you would not have considered ADD. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 30. I've never been hyper and never been a "problem child." The question is whether ADHD is overdiagnosed now, or underdiagnosed then...or both. I've seen some studies claim that it is overdiagnosed and some say it's diagnosed enough. It seems that on the national level ADD is not over or under diagnosed, but some parts of the country underdiagnose and some overdiagnose.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

OK- enough ADD or ADHD

How about back to SIA (Satanism in America)

Anyone heard anything new lately? Any evidence?

The McMartin case may be a good example of this mass hysteria- or as I call it, "suddenly everybody" syndrome.

In the McMartin case, some of the kids talked abotu Satanism, and some talked about being pornographically photographed and filmed.

Here we are, about 15 years later- and- has anyone ever found even one porno photo, or one brief film clip, that shows one of the children from the McMartin preschool? Has anyone found any evidence of them disturbing graves in the area? (something else they alleged)

resELution

Icon 16 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemi:
quote:

reselution, you never told us you were part of a world-wide conspiracy! Remember this old heathen when you guys take over, k? [Roll Eyes]

Noemi

I might loose my job at the FBI if I did! Then no more midnight liasons with Agent Scully for me. [Embarrassed]

resE"Oops did I say that."Lution

Posts: 2286 | From: Washington State | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
resELution

Icon 01 posted      Profile for resELution   E-mail resELution   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK- enough ADD or ADHD

How about back to SIA (Satanism in America)

Anyone heard anything new lately? Any evidence?

The McMartin case may be a good example of this mass hysteria- or as I call it, "suddenly everybody" syndrome.

In the McMartin case, some of the kids talked abotu Satanism, and some talked about being pornographically photographed and filmed.

Here we are, about 15 years later- and- has anyone ever found even one porno photo, or one brief film clip, that shows one of the children from the McMartin preschool? Has anyone found any evidence of them disturbing graves in the area? (something else they alleged)

Satanism is alive and well in America. I think that OP was reffering to the Satanic Panic and to exagerated and mostely fabricated rumors about "cults" and ritual abuse.
DizzyLizard

I don't remember anything about disturbing graves, in the McMartin case, but it's been awhile since I've read anything about it. There is a great article, online, which conquers the whole tunnel deal, but does a very good job of outlining all the seris of events, which I read a few years back. It's The Dark Truth About the "Dark Tunnels of McMartin", in case anyone is interested.

Dizzy "the devil made me do it" Lizard

Sister Ray
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 221 posted      Profile for Sister Ray   Author's Homepage   E-mail Sister Ray   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

About 10 years ago, someone finds a syringe in their Pepsi. Suddenly, over the next few weeks, lots of people start finding foreign matter in their Pepsi. Then, magically, it all went away when a woman was caught, on camera, slipping a Syringe into her Pepsi.

I agree with this. However, in cases like this, evem the people who actually found something in the pepsi cans were proved to have not simply because everyone else was lying.

I think this goes for the whole day care cases thing. Most of them are bunk. A few I've read about are a mix of bunk and reality, and I personally think one was not bunk. But since so many were bunk, they all have to be bunk now. It's the same thing with multiple personalities. Most psychiatrists say it is a rare condition, my own saying that there were maybe ten thousand in America. I visited a board devoted to the subject, and it had forty posters or so. But some people started seeing it everywhere, and when it wasn't so, it's nowhere. It's almost like hardline religious philosophies. It's merely black and white. Thinking like this in anything will merely impede upon objectivity.

Sister "black and white are both absent of color" Ray

--------------------
The Organization. Adam Haseeb Memorial Pages. My library.

"There can't be a war on Christmas. Even Cambridge has decorations up!" - an observation I made

Posts: 2719 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roy012
Xboxing Day

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Roy012     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember seeing a special on Dateline about a year ago about a girl who disappeared in Texas in the early 90s and was supposed to have been grabbed by a cult and murdered. Apparently a lot of the story was made up by overzealous social workers and prosecutors, but I don't remember any more. Regardless, it was pretty chilling. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

--------------------
"Excuse me, homes, but could you tell me how to get back to the interstate?"

Posts: 1245 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vampyrviolia
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for vampyrviolia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Karla LeVey was on the Abrams Report tonight talking about the Laci Peterson thing.
She's very pretty, in dark sort of way.

--------------------
Hey, check out my dads website -- www.eastcountyhwy.com
He grooms dogs too.

Posts: 1593 | From: Bedias, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ticrazyguy

quote:
Karla LeVey
Is that the daughter of the founder of the church of Satan?

ti"I like them evil"crazyguy

vampyrviolia
Happy Holly Days

Icon 01 posted      Profile for vampyrviolia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup.

--------------------
Hey, check out my dads website -- www.eastcountyhwy.com
He grooms dogs too.

Posts: 1593 | From: Bedias, TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bblady

quote:
I remember seeing a special on Dateline about a year ago about a girl who disappeared in Texas in the early 90s and was supposed to have been grabbed by a cult and murdered. Apparently a lot of the story was made up by overzealous social workers and prosecutors, but I don't remember any more. Regardless, it was pretty chilling. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Yes, it took place in Gilmer, Texas. Here are two links: http://www.skepticfiles.org/misctext/whunt2.htm
http://www.chron.com/content/chronicle/metropolitan/95/11/27/gilmer.html

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages