snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Most of the gold removed from Fort Knox

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Most of the gold removed from Fort Knox
Dick Tracy
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is an inquiry suggesting that most of the gold may have been removed from Fort Knox secretly by the US gov:

http://www.fgmr.com/right2know.htm

What do you think?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midway Bilbo

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, all this "evidence" is based on one witness: Mr. Durrell. Folks have witnessed alien abductions and the gunman(men) on the grassy knoll too.

Anyway even if there was no gold left in Fort Knox our economy wouldn't collapse, since we left the gold standard our money is backed by the sale of T-bills*, not the value of gold in Fort Knox. (Found a sorta introat Motley Fool)

Midway "golden shower of facts" Bill

*Yeah I'noo - it's not quite that simple, but dammit Jim I'm a doctor not an economist! Oh crap, I'm not even really a doctor either

die daagliks phosdex
Monster Mashed Potatos & Grave-y

Icon 01 posted      Profile for die daagliks phosdex   Author's Homepage   E-mail die daagliks phosdex   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tracy:
Here is an inquiry suggesting that most of the gold may have been removed from Fort Knox secretly by the US gov:

http://www.fgmr.com/right2know.htm

What do you think?

You have to wonder if the source is credible, for one.

Or, for another, is something cooked up by Far Right zealots as are interested in cooking up some class of an excuse to justify their claims as to the "worthlessness" of Federal Reserve Notes inasmuch as same are not backed by gold and/or silver reserves.

Which, come to think of it (and getting a bit off topic here), leaves me wondering how many countries still have monetary policy pegging their currencies to gold or silver reserves in their Treasuries; and, if so, whether such:

*has kept inflation in check;

*kept wages, prices and exports competitive;

*kept savings rates (as a percentage of wages) stable; and

*has actually stabilised consumer buying power.

This notwithstanding Far Right propaganda in this respect....

--------------------
"Nie lees die hoofopskrifte--lees die daagliks phosdex in plaas ..."

Posts: 1316 | From: Winona, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midway Bilbo

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Iludium Phosdex:
Or, for another, is something cooked up by Far Right zealots as are interested in cooking up some class of an excuse to justify their claims as to the "worthlessness" of Federal Reserve Notes inasmuch as same are not backed by gold and/or silver reserves.

Ooo, ooo Mistah Cottah! I was just reading that some folks is using exactly that argument to not pay taxes. Problem is there's already about 100 lbs of case law refuting this. So try it only if you don't think the the IRS is everywhere watching everything you do...

Midway "oops better go now I see someone- aggggkkk" Bill

Robigus, Frozen Mushroom
The First USA Noel

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   E-mail Robigus, Frozen Mushroom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Which, come to think of it (and getting a bit off topic here), leaves me wondering how many countries still have monetary policy pegging their currencies to gold or silver reserves in their Treasuries; and, if so, whether such:
[list]*has kept inflation in check;

*kept wages, prices and exports competitive;

*kept savings rates (as a percentage of wages) stable; and

*has actually stabilised consumer buying power.
[/list]
This notwithstanding Far Right propaganda in this respect....[/QB]

Well, according to several sites, on August 15, 1971, there was no longer any country in the world that would redeem currency for gold. Whether or not this is a good thing is a matter of much discussion. Personally, it makes little difference to me. As long as I can still earn and spend paper money as easily as gold, I'll not complain. [Cool]
Posts: 724 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages