snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Spook Archive » Louisiana Bigfoot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Louisiana Bigfoot
bryan
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
KDFW Fox 4 in Dallas reported last night of new Bigfoot sightings in Louisiana. The police crime scene investigation unit is taking plaster casts of 14" footprints and they have recovered long, black, coarse hair samples which are being analyzed. According to one eyewitness' account he smelled a strong odor and looked up to see a 7' tall creature holding a dead 100 - 150 LB pig under one arm. The man ran one direction and the creature ran another.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Schnervel

Read the story from the Bigfoot Field Research Organization here.

I did a Lexis-Nexis search and didn't come up with anything. While I believe bryan, I also checked the KDFW website and came up empty handed.

Schner "Sasquatch" vel

Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
KDFW Fox 4 in Dallas reported last night of new Bigfoot sightings in Louisiana. The police crime scene investigation unit is taking plaster casts of 14" footprints and they have recovered long, black, coarse hair samples which are being analyzed. According to one eyewitness' account he smelled a strong odor and looked up to see a 7' tall creature holding a dead 100 - 150 LB pig under one arm. The man ran one direction and the creature ran another.

But who got the pig?

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
George Kingfish Stevens
Deck the Malls

Icon 03 posted      Profile for George Kingfish Stevens     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I started to ask if maybe Shaq was vacationing in the Looziana bayous, but the stuff about the hair nixed that.
Posts: 399 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WHATEVER

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
John Coffey. Like the drink but spelled different.

WHAT"Sasquatch my foot"EVER

[This message has been edited by WHATEVER (edited 08-28-2000).]

tdn
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdn   E-mail tdn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WHATEVER:
John Coffey. Like the drink but spelled different.

In that case, the pig would be alive again.

Posts: 3800 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Billy C

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://theadvocate.com/news/story.asp?StoryID=15751 It looks like a hoax,imagin that! Billy C

------------------

abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going through that area Friday... I'll keep a lookout for the old fella...
Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bryan

quote:
Originally posted by Billy C:
http://theadvocate.com/news/story.asp?StoryID=15751 It looks like a hoax,imagin that! Billy C

This story doesn't call the current sighting a hoax. It calls a similar incident 25 years ago a hoax.

Billy C

Icon 06 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
bryan wrote"This story doesn't call the current sighting a hoax. It calls a similar incident 25 years ago a hoax" True but does anybody want to take any bets about the current sighting? I will be checking the paper and will post any new developments.Billy C

------------------

bryan

I don't have near as much problem accepting that such a creature might exist as most ULs or UFOs or the like. Many new animals are discovered yearly and some animals that avoid man are often hard to sight. For example, there is the tale of a large cat roaming the neighborhoods of Colleyville, TX near DFW airport. 1. It usually only comes out at night. 2. Several small dogs have been slaughtered in their own fenced backyards. 3. There have been several sightings, even by animal control, but the animal has yet to be captured or shot.
Bob McClenon

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bryan:
I don't have near as much problem accepting that such a creature might exist as most ULs or UFOs or the like. Many new animals are discovered yearly and some animals that avoid man are often hard to sight. For example, there is the tale of a large cat roaming the neighborhoods of Colleyville, TX near DFW airport. 1. It usually only comes out at night. 2. Several small dogs have been slaughtered in their own fenced backyards. 3. There have been several sightings, even by animal control, but the animal has yet to be captured or shot.

There is a difference between an unknown animal and an unknown species of animal. The creature in Colleyville does not sound like an unknown species. The information that you have given is consistent with a cougar or mountain lion, a creature that is known to be elusive. It is also consistent with an ocelot.

Reports of any 'Bigfoot' creature are not consistent with any known species. If Bigfoot exists, it is a previously unknown species.

It is true that new species are discovered every year. Most of them are small. The likelihood of an unknown species decrease as the size of the reported species increases. Also, the likelihood of an unknown species should increase both in a larger area and in a wilder or more remote area. The Louisiana bayou country is large and wild, but neither as large nor as wild as the Northwest mountain forest.

The existence of a sasquatch or yeti is not absurd. However, I think it is less likely that there would be such a creature in Louisiana than in the Northwest, and less likely in the Northwest than in the Himalayas.

I agree that reports of unknown species of vertebrates are more plausible than theories of extraterrestrial visits to Earth.

- - Bob McClenon

Slycat

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, such a large unknown species may very well be elusive, but its remains can't be. Where are bigfoot droppings, or come convincingly, a carcass of a sasquatch? None has ever been found and certainly a large animal would leave some type of evidence.

[This message has been edited by Slycat (edited 08-30-2000).]

abbubmah

Icon 23 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob McClenon:
However, I think it is less likely that there would be such a creature in Louisiana than in the Northwest, and less likely in the Northwest than in the Himalayas.

- - Bob McClenon

Bob, ask anybody who lives in south Louisiana... me included; there's a lot of STUFF living here that boggles the mind regarding diversity and quantity. I'm about half-convinced that if I underwent a thorough scientific identification of every species of flora and fauna in my yard, I'd find a new species of SOMETHING. Might make an interesting website. Things in the swamp you ain't seen before? Daily.

ham "swamped and swatting" bubba

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bob McClenon

Icon 22 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hambubba:
Bob, ask anybody who lives in south Louisiana... me included; there's a lot of STUFF living here that boggles the mind regarding diversity and quantity. I'm about half-convinced that if I underwent a thorough scientific identification of every species of flora and fauna in my yard, I'd find a new species of SOMETHING. Might make an interesting website. Things in the swamp you ain't seen before? Daily.

ham "swamped and swatting" bubba

When I said that the likelihood of finding an unknown species was dependent on the size of the region, I should have more specifically said that the likelihood of finding an unknown large species was dependent on the size of the region. I would be less surprised to find an unknown species of ape in the Mountain Northwest than in southern Louisiana. On the other hand, I accept Hambubba's comments about the astonishing variety of living STUFF in the swamp.

The tropical rain forest is the environment having the greatest biological diversity, and a tropical wetland offers almost as much diversity. I would not be surprised if there are unknown species of semi-aquatic rodent, wading bird, frog, fish, or crawfish in even a small section of southern Louisiana, let alone unknown species of insects.

A tropical climate generally supports more diversity of species than a temperate climate, but the difference is primarily in the diversity of smaller species. Any environment can only support a small number of large species. The supposedly unknown species here is a large one.

My skepticism had to do with finding an unknown species of large ape (or ape-like creature) in southern Louisiana. For a creature of the size that Bigfoot or the Louisiana version is reported to be, a large area would be required to support a family, and a larger area to support a stable breeding population. The area for a breeding population would be vulnerable to human disruption, not just drainage or destruction of swamp, but the construction of roads and power lines that would isolate families from other families and interfere with interbreeding.

Many other large species of mammals are currently endangered because of similar human disruption of their territories, including the species that most resembles these reports, the gorilla. I am not saying that an unknown ape does not exist in Louisiana, but only that I find it less likely than in the larger and less human-visited mountain forests of the Northwest.

Are there any Native American legends of large creatures in Louisiana that are described as human-like but not human? If not, I would be even more skeptical that the current report is a hoax. If there really has been such a creature, the Native Americans would have had legends of its existence. The legends of the yeti and the sasquatch are based on the tales of the native Tibetans and the Northwest Native Americans.

- - Bob McClenon

abbubmah

Icon 15 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bob McClenon:
My skepticism had to do with finding an unknown species of large ape (or ape-like creature) in southern Louisiana. For a creature of the size that Bigfoot or the Louisiana version is reported to be, a large area would be required to support a family, and a larger area to support a stable breeding population. The area for a breeding population would be vulnerable to human disruption, not just drainage or destruction of swamp, but the construction of roads and power lines that would isolate families from other families and interfere with interbreeding.

The area in question is surprisingly sparsly populated. and is quite a large forested area, with terrain similar to the *lower-lying* areas of the Pacific Northwest. (Hills, not mountains!) It's central LA, north of Alexandria, the Kisatchee National Forest. Very dark at night, I've camped in that area. They could be living in the 20' diameter I-49 drainage culverts for all anybody knows. In Austin, the Congress street bridge hosts a million bats... maybe we're building Bigfoot habitats under the interstates!!

ham "tongue firmly in cheek" bubba

bryan

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple points here and I'll play devil's advocate. The way I understand it, these sightings are only common recently. Maybe this creature migrated, hence no previous evidence.. Maybe this creature is somewhat itelligent and buries its waste and dead. Again, no evidence left. In the Louisiana case, they got what are purported to be hair samples. I predict if the samples turn out to be horse or hog hair, the media will not carry the story. If the hair cannot be identified, the report will be that it is of undetermined origin which will neither prove nor disprove anything. The only definitive way to learn if this is a real create is to either capture or kill one. Now, if it is truly a rare species, we certainly don't want to kill one.
abbubmah

Icon 06 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

All right, you asked for it!
http://www.honeyislandswamp.com/bigfoot.html

another version of same thing:
http://www.n2.net/prey/bigfoot/creatures/wookie.htm

this is wild:
http://www.gcbro.com/

I'll look for some more local links.

ham "Bigfoot? suuuure! I saw him too!" bubba

abbubmah

Icon 04 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An update:

I didn't see bigfoot while going thru Rapides Parish the other day, darn! I sent an email to the newspaper yesterday asking for an update; no response to the email, but this was in the paper this morning:
http://www.theadvocate.com/news/story.asp?StoryID=15897

Oh well. I guess we'll wait a little longer.

Ham "Bigfoot is a pizza you eat in a big truck" bubba

abbubmah

Icon 01 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like a hoax:
http://www.theadvocate.com/news/story.asp?StoryID=15985

Note that "just because all the evidence is against it, doesn't mean I didn't see it".

ham "works for me" bubba

abbubmah

Icon 23 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems to have no end:

http://www.theadvocate.com/news/story.asp?StoryID=16144

My favorite quote from the article:

"God dang, everyone has seen it, why can't I?"

ham "redneck's last words - 'watch this'" bubba

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages