snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Michael Jordan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Michael Jordan
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 07 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is there any truth to this rumor: "Before going on to become one
of the greatest players in NBA history, Micheal Jordan was actually cut
from his high school basketball team"?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of sites say he was "cut from his high school basetball team as a sophomore". So I googled "junior varsity" along with his name. Sure enough, an ESPN article states
quote:
After playing junior varsity basketball as a high school sophomore, Jordan made the varsity his final two years, starring as a senior and earning a scholarship to North Carolina.
So Jordan, like many kids, played junior varsity basketball as a sophomore, then made the varsity team as a junior and senior. It may also be -- pure speculation on my part -- the he could have made the varsity as a sophomore but the coach preferred he be on the junior varsity to get more play time.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still find that surprising because you'd think that a guy who dominated the NBA would be a sophomore on the varsity team.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bigblu89
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigblu89         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
So Jordan, like many kids, played junior varsity basketball as a sophomore, then made the varsity team as a junior and senior. It may also be -- pure speculation on my part -- the he could have made the varsity as a sophomore but the coach preferred he be on the junior varsity to get more play time.

That's exactly what happened. He tried out for the Varsity team as a sophomore, but the coach told him he would be much better off starting for the JV team in 10th grade, ans opposed to sitting the bench on the Varsity team.
Posts: 76 | From: Long Island, New York | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages