snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Jail in stadium?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jail in stadium?
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 209 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom told me the other night that Philadelphia Eagles fans are so unruly, that there's a jail located right in the stadium. She heard it from my brother (and Lord only knows where he heard it). This has urban legend written all over it as far as I'm concerned. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many public facilities (such as sports arenas) have some type of holding cell where they can safely keep patrons who have become too unruly and violent (usually because they've had too much to drink) or who are being charged with a crime (e.g., trespassing for running out on the field) and need to be held until the local police arrive.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, local PD are usually on hand for most events at a large facility. I think that it's more likely that they hold the person until it's convenient for the police to transport the prisoner.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 24 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Veterens Stadium, where the Eagles played until last season, did have an actual jail in that there was a Common Pleas Court judge permanently assigned to the stadium, handing out fines during the game. Lincoln Field, the new stadium, also had the courtroom built, but it has been closed due to decrease in incidents. One source

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not only did the old Veteran's stadium have a jail, it had a courtroom, Eagle's Court. The courtroom was set up after a particularly arful game in 1997; in 1999 it was mved down the street. The Eagles new stadium also has holding cells.
(Source a Google cache of a news paper article about the court) 2003 was the court's last year.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eagles fans are notoriously bad and rude. Other legends have them booing a Santa character at a Christmas season game, and cheering when players on opposing teams get injured (I can't remember the exact incident but a few years back someone was seriously hurt-like a career-threatening injury- and the fans went wild with cheers).
Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie
I'm Screaming of a White Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When they go to the Superbowl in The Simpsons and they get locked up, isn't that in the stadium?

and they get out by using Dolly Parton's make up removal stuff that just disintegrates the bars lol

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ironsman, the supposed incident I think you're recalling is the Michael Irvin injury. IIRC he landed on his neck funny and went unconscious for several minutes. Eagles fans assure me that they were *not* cheering his injury, however, and only cheered when he began moving.

ETA: http://www.etsu.edu/etnews/sports/s1018_2.htm

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Furious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I watched that game. While I doubt that most Eagles fans are big enough scumbags to have cheered Irvin's injury, there were definitely a significant amount of cheers heard while he was still motionless on the ground. My friend John, a die-hard Eagles fan, was also watching, and said the same.

I'm sure that Eagles fans would like to believe that other Eagles fans didn't boo Irvin's injury, but the simple fact is that some of them did. I would like to believe that it wasn't a majority.

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Am 6-Ironsman
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I Am 6-Ironsman   E-mail I Am 6-Ironsman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, it was Irvin that I was thinking of, had a brain fart...! And no I'm not a die-hard Eagles hater or anything, it's just that the bad attitude of Eagles fans keeps coming up in sports books, articles, ESPN, etc. Some other fans aren't much better, Jets fans like to fight, street gangs come to Raiders games...
Posts: 370 | From: New York. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ALadUnsane
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been a fan since 1974 - a loooong 30 years w/o a Super Bowl. Yes, some are INSANE. They get to the stadium are at 8-9AM, cook up breakfast & start drinking. By game time, especially the 4 PM games, they are plastered.

I believe the "jail" at the new Linc has been closed due to lack of morons acting up.

Philly fans take a beating in the press. Some of the stories have become ledgend - like the Vet crowd booing Santa. The truth is in 1968 (at Franklin Field) at a game in December, the Iggles hired a guy to play Santa. He could not make it so they settled for a skinny stand-in. The sub got drunk, and looked rather sloppy, his fake stomach falling out. So the fans did what? THEY BOOED!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ALadUnsane:
I have been a fan since 1974 - a loooong 30 years w/o a Super Bowl.

Kid stuff! You're a cream puff! Try 85 years without a World Series....

Four Five "Yankees suck!" Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ALadUnsane

quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties Fricassee:
quote:
I have been a fan since 1974 - a loooong 30 years w/o a Super Bowl.

Kid stuff! You're a cream puff! Try 85 years without a World Series....

Four Five "Yankees suck!" Kitties

Hey, I'm a Phillies fan. One championship (1980) in 121 years.

We haven't had a championship since the 76ers in 1983.

Curse of the Babe? Get lost. Bostonians have the great Celtics teams, the current Patriots & had dynasties with the Bruins.

Philadelphia has.....well...the Flyers won 2 in a row - in the mid-70's!! And the Eagles in the 40's!! And the best team the city ever had, moved to Kansas City & finally to Oakland (the A's.)

So, you Cub fans & Red Sox fans can go scratch.

brick
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Four Kitties Fricassee:We haven't had a championship since the 76ers in 1983.

I'm thinking that may be the longest drought for any city with a team in all four sports.
Posts: 1744 | From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by brick:
[QBI'm thinking that may be the longest drought for any city with a team in all four sports. [/QB]

You may be right.

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ALasUnsane:
We haven't had a championship since the 76ers in 1983.

I'm thinking that may be the longest drought for any city with a team in all four sports.
You may be right. I couldn't find a similar drought for a city with teams in the four major sports.

But pity poor Cleveland.

Never won an NBA championship since the Cavs started play in 1970 -- heck, never even been in the finals.

Never been in a Super Bowl, last won the NFL Championship in 1964.

Been in two World Series in the past 50 years (in which they won two games, each by one run), last won the World Championship 1948.

Perhaps it's just as well the city's only NHL franchise folded in 1978 after a mere two years in the city, leaving with a combined 47-87-26 record.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brick
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brick     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
You may be right. I couldn't find a similar drought for a city with teams in the four major sports.

But pity poor Cleveland.

Never won an NBA championship since the Cavs started play in 1970 -- heck, never even been in the finals.

Never been in a Super Bowl, last won the NFL Championship in 1964.

Been in two World Series in the past 50 years (in which they won two games, each by one run), last won the World Championship 1948.

Perhaps it's just as well the city's only NHL franchise folded in 1978 after a mere two years in the city, leaving with a combined 47-87-26 record.

Pogue

Ouch!
Honorable mention: Kansas City. The Chiefs have never won a Superbowl, the Royals haven't won a world series since 1985, and neither the Athletics nor the Kings ever won a championship in Kansas City.

ETA: To add insult to Cleveland's injury, the football team won the Superbowl almost immediately after leaving Cleveland for Baltimore.

Posts: 1744 | From: Houston | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TokuShake'n Bake-ayasu

quote:
Ouch!
Honorable mention: Kansas City. The Chiefs have never won a Superbowl...

You might wanna tell Len Dawson he has to give his ring back, then...

- Baka 'Fine with me. Make sure those rings find their way into the hands of my Vikes, though.' yasu

ALadUnsane

I believe the Chiefs won Super Bowl III.
STF
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for STF   Author's Homepage   E-mail STF   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I believe the Chiefs won Super Bowl III.

Wasn't 3 the one that Namath made his guarantee in? The Chiefs did beat the Vikes in a Super Bowl though, unless my memory is just completely screwed up.

ETA: According to Super Bowl.com the Chiefs won SB IV and the Jets, with Namath, won SB III.

--------------------
STF on MySpace

Posts: 5186 | From: Coweta County, GA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
brick
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by TokuShake'n Bake-ayasu:
quote:
Ouch!
Honorable mention: Kansas City. The Chiefs have never won a Superbowl...

You might wanna tell Len Dawson he has to give his ring back, then...

- Baka 'Fine with me. Make sure those rings find their way into the hands of my Vikes, though.' yasu

D'Oh!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages