snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Did the traditional Gatorade shower kill a college coach?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did the traditional Gatorade shower kill a college coach?
Ms. Hollywood
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 88 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read a letter in Dear Abby or Ann Landers a fw years ago calling for a stop to the traditional Gatorade shower given to football coaches after a big victory. The writer said that a college coach literally caught his death from cold after being given the Gatorade shower after a victory. He contracted pneumonia and died a few days later. The pneumonia was blamed on him walking around cold and wet from the shower. Is this a true story, or if it is, is there more to his cause of death than the shower?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ursa Major

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was George Allen of Cal State Long Beach. He died of Pneumonia.
Barrytown's Chutzpah

Icon 24 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it could be true if he had the flu or something before the Gatorade shower. From what I understand, pneumonia is a complication of the flu that can arise when one is exposed to cold.

Not likely that a healthy guy could catch pneumonia solely from Gatorade, unless the Gatorade was swimming with pneumonia-causing bacteria or virii.

Barrytown

Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barrytown's Chutzpah:
Not likely that a healthy guy could catch pneumonia solely from Gatorade, unless the Gatorade was swimming with pneumonia-causing bacteria or virii.

When the University of Arizona football coach catches his death of pneumonia, you won't mention this thread. Right?

-Tabby
the "not plotting anything. Really!" princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barrytown's Chutzpah

Icon 104 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tabby's eight crazy lives:
quote:

When the University of Arizona football coach catches his death of pneumonia, you won't mention this thread. Right?

-Tabby
the "not plotting anything. Really!" princess with claws

[Laughing out loud] Your secret's safe with me. snopester's honor!
Tabbymago
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 18 posted      Profile for Tabbymago   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tabbymago   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]Your secret's safe with me. snopester's honor!

Why does that phrase not inspire confidence in me? [Razz]

-Tabby
the princess with claws

--------------------
If you don't appreciate the irony, the irony appreciates.

"Sappiness and medieval violence: it's a wonderful combination. Like chocolate and peanut butter for the mind." -me on my fantasy novel-in-progress

Posts: 2281 | From: Arizona | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
A rossdawg happened here

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I played soccer and baseball in my early childhood, I swore Gatorade (when it only came in the one or two flavors) would kill me too.
Ms Holiday Stressa

quote:
Well, it could be true if he had the flu or something before the Gatorade shower. From what I understand, pneumonia is a complication of the flu that can arise when one is exposed to cold.

Barrytown

If I recall correctly, it was really cold out and he was elderly (former Redskins coach, right?) They showed the tape over and over when it happened.

Brrrrr! -Stressa

Kiwibird

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ms Holiday Stressa:
If I recall correctly, it was really cold out and he was elderly (former Redskins coach, right?) They showed the tape over and over when it happened.

Even at that, getting chilled is simply not enough stress to bring on pneumonia by itself. There had to be a bacterium or virus involved here, and you can't blame Gatorade for that.
Ms. Hollywood

No one is blaming the Gatorade, they were trying to put a stop to the shower tradition by claiming the sudden exposure to the coldness of it was dangerous. But if the guy already had the virus, any kind of chill would of brought it on, so to say this tradition is a killer is barking up the wrong tree. Not that I think dousing elderly old coaches is a kind thing to do, maybe just the younger coaches!
Ursa Major

quote:
Originally posted by Ms. Hollywood:
No one is blaming the Gatorade, they were trying to put a stop to the shower tradition by claiming the sudden exposure to the coldness of it was dangerous. But if the guy already had the virus, any kind of chill would of brought it on, so to say this tradition is a killer is barking up the wrong tree. Not that I think dousing elderly old coaches is a kind thing to do, maybe just the younger coaches!

I think the deal with George Allen was that it was such a huge win for CSULB (my alma mater) that he was basking in the glory (giving interviews and lingering the way people do after the final game of a season) on the field for hours after the game, drenching wet the whole time. I think Allen's common sense is more to blame than Gatorade (I seem to remember that it was ice water).

Whether to spare the feelings of the players, protect Allen's dignity, or simply to set the record straight, the coach's family insisted to everybody who'd listen that he died of heart complications that had nothing to do with his last game.

Groucho Gearloose

This was in a Seinfeld episode, no?
Duis Linguini

quote:

If Mackovic loses to ASU again, I don't think you'll have to worry about it. The entire city of Tucson would become suspects.
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Did former Washington Redskins Coach George Allen die due to a Gatorade celebration shower?
Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Illuminatus
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Illuminatus   E-mail Illuminatus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duis Linguini:
quote:

If Mackovic loses to ASU again, I don't think you'll have to worry about it. The entire city of Tucson would become suspects.
This whole argument is based on the wrongheaded assumption that Arizona will win any games worthy of the Gatorade bath.
Posts: 532 | From: Champaign-Urbana, IL | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PatYoung
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PatYoung   E-mail PatYoung   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by A rossdawg happened here:
When I played soccer and baseball in my early childhood, I swore Gatorade (when it only came in the one or two flavors) would kill me too.

Welcome!

--------------------
pat "Megadittoes Rush" young

THUMP, THUMP, THUMP

Posts: 5442 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, when one receives a cold bath outside when it's snowing, it is bound to happen.

A football parody had one where the gatorade bowl froze and a big block of ice fell out giving a severe injury to the head of the coach.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's bound to happen you say?

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Heavy B
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heavy B   E-mail Heavy B   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure about the whole "causing pneumonia" thing, but I would like to see the Gatorade-Dumping-Celebration-Thing banned simply because it has become a tired, stupid, cliche.

--------------------
I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. - Joe Walsh

Posts: 801 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LoWay:
Well, when one receives a cold bath outside when it's snowing, it is bound to happen.

It is? That's interesting, since you can't actually contract pneumonia that way.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages