snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Which sport has the hardest conditioning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which sport has the hardest conditioning
Ssantos
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Soccer is over 90 minutes of running, water polo is 100 laps around the pool, volleyball is running over 5 miles and includes sliding drills. Which sport is harder and which can a person benefit the most from?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Darimir

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well my guess would be Triathlon. A few miles of swimming, several tens of miles of cyling and then some more miles of running. That surely has to be the worst. Of course the length of the various bits of the race do change, but I reckon the Iron Man events are probably the most extreme, 10+ miles swimming, 100+ miles cycling and 24 miles running. Takes hours!!!

Team sports, well that's different. I'd personally go with Rugby (cos I'm English) since it's full contact, no padding, 80 minutes of total carnage. People have their ears damaged so frequently that they have to tape them to their heads.

Jim.

catchy name

Darimir-i completly agree with you. i instantly thought rugby but also see what you mean about the triathalon. what part of England are you from?
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(This smiley is a crazed soccer fan.)

Well, I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard several years ago that Soccer is the most physically demanding of all sports. And don't laugh, but the same source said after soccer is motocross. Oh, well, go ahead and laugh.

Ali "what if I ride my motorcycle onto the soccer field - would that be twice as demanding?" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dan the Seeker

quote:
Originally posted by AliBaba:
Ali "what if I ride my motorcycle onto the soccer field - would that be twice as demanding?" Baba

Wow, kind of like a soccer based polo game with motercycles? Not that would be something to see!

--Dan

brad43

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Has antone every tried highschool wrestling?
It's very physically demanding. We hand a two hour practice every night after school for almost the whole year, lots of conditioning excercise.

Hollywood Blonde

Mixed martial arts fighting (aka ultimate fighting).
le Feu du Poèt

quote:
Originally posted by Ssantos:
Soccer is over 90 minutes of running, water polo is 100 laps around the pool, volleyball is running over 5 miles and includes sliding drills. Which sport is harder and which can a person benefit the most from?

Of the three you mentioned, It's a tough choice and very speculative on any of our parts to try and say for sure. In each, you get a bit of a respite from teammates sharing the load, as it were.

Of your three, I guess I'd eliminate volleyball since your positional change during play is far less than soccer and wouldn't use nearly the cardio that either soccer or water polo would.

But of ALL sports, definately grappling of some kind would be the 'hardest' in terms of overall demands on your body - both in raw explosive power, endurance and cardio/lung power. As for the most beneficial, probably light grappling or cross-county skiing or distance swimming. Idno, it's kind of useless to really discuss, becuase what's best for YOU is what you enjoy. Even if one sport is more demanding, you probably won't get the benefits from it if you don't like doing it!

PF

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by le Feu du Poèt:
Of the three you mentioned, It's a tough choice and very speculative on any of our parts to try and say for sure. In each, you get a bit of a respite from teammates sharing the load, as it were.

Of your three, I guess I'd eliminate volleyball since your positional change during play is far less than soccer and wouldn't use nearly the cardio that either soccer or water polo would.

But of ALL sports, definately grappling of some kind would be the 'hardest' in terms of overall demands on your body - both in raw explosive power, endurance and cardio/lung power. As for the most beneficial, probably light grappling or cross-county skiing or distance swimming. Idno, it's kind of useless to really discuss, becuase what's best for YOU is what you enjoy. Even if one sport is more demanding, you probably won't get the benefits from it if you don't like doing it!

PF

I agree, anything with grappling, like amateur wrestling or brazilian jiu jitsu, is VERY intense. You go all out, using every muscle in your body. At my present sorry condition, I would only last maybe a few minutes grappling before I pass out. Sports like soccer is tough and demanding, but you get periods of "down time," and in endurance events your body has a chance to get into a "groove."

Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In terms of the lowest percentages of body fat, I'd heard that the "fittest" athletes were cross country skiers, followed by rowers (one which nobody's mentioned yet). I haven't a cite for that, though. And I'm not really even sure what it means.

(I can say that, at least at an amateur / college type level, rowers train far harder than any other sports people that I know of...)

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
odaiwai

Professional Cyclists tend to be ridiculously fit with very low waking heart rates. Sean Kelly, the Irish cyclist was said to have a waking pulse rate[1] in the mid thirties.

Interestingly enough, Formula One drivers need to be very fit as well. Apparently Micheal Schumacher also has a very low waking pulse rate.

My vote for toughest sport would definitely be triathlon.

dave

[1] Waking pulse rate is your pulse when you're in a calm and relaxed condition. 78 is about normal for a human male. A WPR of 40 means that even if the athlete is working hard enough to double his rate, his heart is only working as hard as a normal male sitting down.

chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
In terms of the lowest percentages of body fat, I'd heard that the "fittest" athletes were cross country skiers, followed by rowers (one which nobody's mentioned yet). I haven't a cite for that, though. And I'm not really even sure what it means.

(I can say that, at least at an amateur / college type level, rowers train far harder than any other sports people that I know of...)

Yes, how could I forget rowing??? And by rowing I don't mean the Disneyland canoe ride, either (if it is still open). Similar to all out bouts of physical activity like amateur wrestling/grappling, rowing is just plain intense. I feel like puking, and that's just from
watching rowers go at it in Olympic competitions!

Posts: 5729 | From: HellPaso, TX | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chinpira
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chinpira   Author's Homepage   E-mail chinpira   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Track and Field athletes are pretty fit. I believe that 400 meter runners have among the lowest body fat percentages in track and field.
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd have to say professional darts, simply because of the amount of alcohol involved.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GravyTrain
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GravyTrain     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I'm sure it's not the MOST conditioning by far, you would be amazed how much actual physical training top-flight chess players go through. Maintaining one's concentration for half of a day requires a sound body to prevent energy levels from crashing. Three to four hours of cardio activity, three times a week.

Of course, my chess cardio training involves gasping for breath after eating a dozen suicide wings during the big game.

Gravy "Feed them great meals of beef and iron and steel - they will eat like wolves and fight like devils" Train

Posts: 1157 | From: Calgary, Alberta | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper

Icon 01 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For instant, heavy-duty cardiovascular conditioning I vote for the frantic fully-loaded-down-sprint-for the-bus.

There were times when I was running for the bus in college where I could have trampled down world-class sprinters.

kitap

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hornitosmonster

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
They( basketball commentators) say basketball players are the world's greatest athletes. I will say that boxers train harder then any one else in professional sports . It takes alot of energy to go 12 rounds of fighting, I would rather bike 150 miles then fight three rounds.
Island Manta

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Island Manta   E-mail Island Manta   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by odaiwai:

Interestingly enough, Formula One drivers need to be very fit as well. Apparently Micheal Schumacher also has a very low waking pulse rate.

My vote for toughest sport would definitely be triathlon.

dave

I'd have to agree with the race car drivers (not just F1)...Can you imagine the physical & mental endurance needed to run 400 to 600 miles, sitting in the same position...and on top of that...a poorly handling race car takes MORE from you...

Look at how Tony Stewart trained for the Indy 500 AND the CocaCola 600...and he finished both races.

Triatheletes in my book are nuts...but very FIT nuts

K "That's Ms Custard, TYVM "

--------------------
"You never know when you will be attacked by a wild tortilla" - José Zavala
"Happiness isn't happiness without a violin playing goat"
Be good and you will be lonesome

Posts: 3569 | From: USVI | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lexicondevil

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a collegiate rower and yes it is a pretty enduring sport. Especially if you are a lightweight like me who has to be between 155-160 pounds during the season, fatigue plays a major factor.

Despite what many people may believe, rowing is about 80% leg and lower back strength. The arms are basically used to hold and control the oars.

Fall races are similar to cross country running in that we row at a low pace for 40 minutes (about 3 miles)in a "head race". The winter is strictly training by running, lifting (crunches) and mostly killing yourself on an indoor rowing machine popularly called an "erg"(short for ergometer).

The spring is considered the main season, where body weight requirments are in effect. Here it is 2000 meter (roughly 6:30 minutes) sprint races. This is where leg power and a high storke-per-min. rating is important.

You have to have a high aerobic capacity and leg muscels to be a good rower. Also a rower's body fat is relativly low (I'm 9% myself). First year rowers find it very difficult because it takes a while to adjust to it and build up stamina.

So yeah, rowing is a pretty hard conditioning sport. Take it from a kid who never played a varsity sport in high school.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages