snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Sports Archive » Rickey Henderson/John Olerud Helmet Story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rickey Henderson/John Olerud Helmet Story
HP
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a story going around sports circles about Rickey Henderson not recognizing former teammate John Olerud when the two were reunited on the Seattle Mariners. Olerud always wears a batting helmet since suffering an aneurysm years ago. Henderson supposedly asks him about the helmet and remarks that he played with a guy last year who also wore one. "That was me," replies Olerud. Ha ha ha. Now I hear that this never happened. "Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story" is a common dictum in sports circles but this involves active players and quotation marks. Does anybody have anything on this?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here you go...

quote:
Rickey Helmet Tale Just a Joke

ANDREW MARCHAND
The New York Post, Pg. 086
June 19, 2000

MILWAUKEE - The Rickey Henderson-John Olerud helmet story is a good one, except for one little fact. It's not true.

When Henderson was released in the middle of May at Shea, some people in the Mets organization joked that when Henderson got to the Mariners, he would ask former teammate John Olerud why he wears the batting helmet. Olerud would explain that he always does and thenHenderson would say that he had a teammate who wore the helmet last year. Olerud would respond, "That was me."

It was meant in harmless fun, but then ESPN reported it and Sports Illustrated in its latest edition followed with a story headlined, "Clueless in Seattle."

Several sources confirmed the origin of the story yesterday was in the Mets'clubhouse. Olerud has told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer it never happened.

The story is one many could believe because of Henderson's history of saying odd things. For example, last year Henderson couldn't remember GM Steve Phillips' name.

"It was all in fun, I imagine," said Pat Mahomes, who was Henderson's best friend on the Mets. "I think when it was started, the person who started it didn't think that it was going to be reported on. People already have their perception of Rickey. So it is definitely unfair to him, but what can you do about it?"

A Met player added, "It would be an unbelievable story, if it were true."

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages