snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » Differential ice melting rates

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Differential ice melting rates
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I like to put a lot of ice in my drinks, and it seems to me that when I put ice into iced tea (of the canned variety) it melts noticeably faster than it does in the same volume of Coca-Cola, even though both drinks were chilled to the same temperature before the ice was added. Am I imagining things, or could some property of soda (such as the carbonation) help it maintain its cooled temperature more efficiently and therefore melt ice less slowly?

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would guess it has to do more with the lack of sugar in the ice tea.
Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Etienne
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etienne   E-mail Etienne   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the specific heat of soda is different than that of iced tea, so that it heats up more slowly, and thus drains less energy from the heat.
Posts: 1102 | From: Quebec | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Carbonation could make a difference -- fluids retain carbonation better when they're cold.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
uncle jam
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It probably has something to do with the sugars, ala road salt.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Am I imagining things, or could some property of soda (such as the carbonation) help it maintain its cooled temperature more efficiently and therefore melt ice less slowly?

There's no reason that ice needs to melt at any particular rate, so yeah, it's not surprising.

If it's a real effect, I'd guess one possible reason might be that the bubbles from a carbonated drink, settling on the sides and foaming on the top, make insulating layers between the Coke and the sides of the cup, and between the Coke and the air. Keeping the liquid colder longer means keeping the ice solid longer.

Just a guess.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Finite Fourier Alchemy:
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Am I imagining things, or could some property of soda (such as the carbonation) help it maintain its cooled temperature more efficiently and therefore melt ice less slowly?

There's no reason that ice needs to melt at any particular rate, so yeah, it's not surprising.

If it's a real effect, I'd guess one possible reason might be that the bubbles from a carbonated drink, settling on the sides and foaming on the top, make insulating layers between the Coke and the sides of the cup, and between the Coke and the air. Keeping the liquid colder longer means keeping the ice solid longer.

Just a guess.

The bubbles also could be said to help the convection curents in the soda and therefor help it warm up.
Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
snopes asks:
quote:
I like to put a lot of ice in my drinks, and it seems to me that when I put ice into iced tea (of the canned variety) it melts noticeably faster than it does in the same volume of Coca-Cola, even though both drinks were chilled to the same temperature before the ice was added.
God is punishing you for drinking the abomination that is canned iced tea.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dr. Dave
Frosty the Pitchman

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dr. Dave     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ice in liquid winds up in an equilibrium at the freezing temperature of the liquid. In pure ice in pure water at 1 ATM air pressure, that temperature is 32 degrees F or 0 degrees C, also known as the freezing point of water. My point with all of the qualifiers is that the freezing point is different depending on what is in the liquid.

More solute will lower the freezing point. Road salt helps melt ice because it lowers the freezing of water into, say the 20's (F used for the rest of the post- sorry non-US friends.) This is also why road salt is not effective if the temperatures are well below freezing- in the single digits for instance, except for on well travelled roads, etc. etc.

Back to beverages. In this case, the liquid can be cooled to a temperature below 32. So plain ice in a bath of salty water will stay frozn longer as the temperature of the mix is below its freezing point (assuming the ice is made of mearly pure water and the other liquid has more solute.) This is why ice cream makers use a mix of ice and water and salt- the mix is in equillibrium at a lower temperature than 32.

So, your two beverages have different freezing points- determined by the sugar, salt, etc., and yes, carbonation is a solute and a weak acid as well (carbonic acid.)

I do not think it is a bulbbles insulation or convection because the bubbles are not forming a complete gas layer, but bubbles do not assist in convection.

Canned iced tea generally has a lot of sugar and artificial flavor, like soda, unless it's diet. I have not seen unsweetened canned iced tea.

Posts: 400 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages