snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » Jump start a dead car battery with ordinary aspirin!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jump start a dead car battery with ordinary aspirin!
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 500 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
... And other extraordinary used for ordinary things.

This morning I recieved a marketing email from Reader's Digest advertizing a book called Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things.

Here's an excerpt from that email, which starts out with a story about a woman who has the book:

quote:
But that’s not all. She also keeps mosquitoes from ruining her backyard barbecues – simply by putting out a few bowls of ordinary vinegar.

This woman is so amazing, she was even able to jump start a dead car battery with ordinary aspirin!

Her secret? An astounding new book Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things from Reader’s Digest. Right now you’re entitled to preview your own copy and uncover over 2,300 ways to save time and money, while you amaze your friends and family.

There's plenty of claims there to debunk, I'm sure, but the one that really set off my skept-o-meter is the "jump start a car battery with aspirin" one. At the very least they must be greatly misusing the phrase "jump start." But is there any way at all you could use aspirin to get a little extra juice out of a battery, and even if you could would it be enough to start a car?

The email directs you to this site -- https://www.rd.com/offer/bhe/extraordinary_uses_2free/index.jsp?trkid=rd_em_eufot0805_rlt_ntf
More to debunk there!

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
aranea russus
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aranea russus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The mosquito one sounds like a mutation of the Snopes - Lemon Joy legend. There is also another old wives tale that says vinegar is good for mozzie bites, so maybe the two collided in the night.
Posts: 625 | From: Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast burger with fries:
But is there any way at all you could use aspirin to get a little extra juice out of a battery, and even if you could would it be enough to start a car?

Sounds like a good one for Mythbusters.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 214 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nah.

Exide battery co. FAQ.

Trojan battery Co. FAQ.

The real answer is, take two aspirin, and START IT IN THE MORNING.

I work with lead acid batteries every day. NOTHING can be added to a dead battery to enable it to have "jump start" current, even over time. If it restores by itself, great. Most of the time they don't. Also, messing around with batteries is dangerous. Additives may cause more than usual release of hydrogen gas, which is easily ignitable. An exploding battery is not worth taking the chance and saving a few bucks.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BrainDamage
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BrainDamage         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Only thing I could think of is maybe using aspirin as an abrasive to clean off corrosion on the battery terminals.
Posts: 146 | From: Orlando | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages