snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » Myth about poison ivy immunity...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Myth about poison ivy immunity...
ottercreek
The First USA Noel

Icon 500 posted      Profile for ottercreek   E-mail ottercreek   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
How many of you have every known anyone who claims that the don't get poison ivy? I have known a few....It is like there are some people who say this, but my guess is that is a macho thing that is just talk. I am not sure what the poison is in poison ivy but unless it is essentially something akin to an allergy that 99% of the population gets, that chemistry does not change from one person to another. It would be like saying if you spilled acid on me, I dont get burned. Please forgive my total lack of research on this one, but it peeves me to hear people claim they are somehow immune to the ills that the rest of us have to put up with. Other people say they don't get sunburn (talking about bleech white people who claim this) that they are immune to other things that science says you cant just be immune to without having a major difference in you body composition from the rest of the human race...Okay, if you want to be macho, please pick something else....Anyone know the science?
Posts: 736 | From: Maryland | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amperage
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I understand it, poison ivy is a lot like latex.

Some people are born incredibly sensitive to it, and will break out if they're even near the stuff. Some people will develop a sensitivity to it quickly and then will break out if they touch it. Some people will develop a sensitivity to it after prolonged exposure and then will break out if they touch it. And some, few, rare, people will only develop a sensitivity to it if they're in constant contact with it for a very, very long time.

Except that more people are born sensitive to poison ivy than are not, and more people aren't born sensitive to latex than are.

I count my blessings as, thus far anyway, I have never show any sensitivity to poison ivy. And yes, it drives everyone else NUTS when they break out in a rash and I don't.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ottercreek:
Please forgive my total lack of research on this one, but it peeves me to hear people claim they are somehow immune to the ills that the rest of us have to put up with.

It peeves me when people start yammering on about things they don't know anything about. It would be one thing if you were just asking for information, but you openly admit you don't understand it yet still have formed a very strong opinion about it. Here's an idea -- understand first, then form an opinion. What do you think?

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm one of those who doesn't seem to have any reaction to it. I can't count the number of times all my friends got it and I didn't from the same exposure. It actually happened last week. My roomates got a rash from working in the yard and I didn't.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
grackle

A good friend was immune to poison ivy for 37 years. She'd often help people remove it from their yards. She has no idea what caused the timing for the sudden change to reacting very strongly but she is highly sensitive to it now. She went from blithely wrenching dug up plants out with her hands to now getting a reaction from touching clothes that had brushed up against it.
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It has no effect on me. Zero. Zippy. Zilch. I hope I don't end up like grackle's friend.

Ranger "leaves of three, let it be" Dog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm one of those people who break out if I get within 10' of the stuff. I broke out once when I walked through smoke from burning yard rubbish. I guess Mr. Guru had thrown some Poison Ivy in the fire.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ULTRAGLORIA
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ULTRAGLORIA     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Everyone is sensitive to poison ivy. And the more you handle it, the more sensitive you become.

Amparage is correct. And grackle's friend is a classic example. The friend handled poison ivy a lot. Thus she became more sensitive to it every time she handled it. If she'd left it alone, she probably never would have developed a reaction the few times she did come in contact with it; and might think she was 'immune'. But she wouldn't be immune. She just has a very low sensitivity.

So, all you out there who think you're immune to Poison ivy, oak and summac, you're not. You just have a high threshold. Avoid the stuff anyway.

Ottercreek, there is no chemical relationship between acid and the oils in poison ivy. You analogy is flawed, as the reaction one has to acid on the skin is chemical not allergic.

A more valid example would be, say, peanuts. I can eat them. You can eat them. Joe over there eats them and dies. Does that mean you and I are being macho by claiming we can eat peanuts without dying?

As for sunburn, that is also correct. People have varying amounts of melanin in their skin. That and other factors mean that I can sit in a shaded room and get burned while my friend can work all day in the garden and be fine.

Plus there are some drugs, such as ibuprophen, that can make one more sensitive to ultraviolet rays.

--------------------
A Lie can run around the world before the Truth can get its boots on. - Terry Pratchett

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions; but everyone is not entitled to their own facts. - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Posts: 2495 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned early on what poison ivy looked like and have always tried to avoid it. I never knew if the reason I wouldn't get a rash when my friends did was because I was careful or because I had a different immune system. Now I never Chicken pox either even though I was trapped for a week with my poxed sister during a snowstorm. There was no way for me to avoid her.

Some people are allergic to world and some are not and everything in between. The histemine system is still a bit mysterous.

Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RangerDog
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RangerDog   E-mail RangerDog   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now here's an interesting article everyone should read!

Eat your way to Poison Ivy immunity

Ranger Dog

--------------------
Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish

Posts: 2036 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mark me down also as a person who seems to be immune to poison ivy. I've been out in the field and my entire squad has come up with it, while I never had a mark.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine is nearly immune (rather not sensitive) to poison oak, because I don't think we have poison ivy in California. That is I have never seen it, and I have been many places where it *should* be growing. But we have poison oak like crazy. Anyway, when his mom was pregnant w/him she got systemic poison oak and the poison oak antihistamines got transferred to him.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do believe I've mentioned my own extreme sensitivity to the stuff. I would imagine everyone has a reaction to it, even if subdued, because that stuff is DESIGNED to get a reaction out of creatures, so they stay away. So, stay away from those plants, they WANT to be left alone! I think they should evolve to be bright blue and red stripes though, so we can know from a distance to stay away. Ya hear that poison plants? Evolve already! I give you a projected 2006 deadline for completion of the project and 2008 for full incorporation into the entire species! That should do it.
Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never had poison ivy, not once...never.

Why? I don't know, but I have low-crawled through the stuff, used a weedeater on it, walked through it (none of which I did on purpose). People around me got it, I never did. I don't know that I am "immune", but I certainly can't be too senative to it.

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dark Jaguar
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dark Jaguar   E-mail Dark Jaguar   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Indeed... Well, you don't really "get" poison ivy, you get a rash FROM it.
Posts: 958 | From: United States | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Slainey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slainey   E-mail Slainey       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, Dark Jaguar, if poison ivy were that cute it would be condemed to live in planters at malls and office complexes around the world. No one deserves that, not even poison ivy.
Posts: 2655 | From: MO USA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ranran yousei

My husband would get poison oak (similar plant) often as a child. His family had an entire woods out their back door for three years (then they moved).

At some point, for some reason, he stopped having the reaction (while still living at the place in the woods). He can grab the stuff, rub it on himself, and nothing. Not a sinlge red irritation. He's been like this for over 20 years now. He rarely comes into contact with the plant anymore, but whenever he does, he tests the immunity, and it's still there.

I'm not sure how much is bunk or how much is accurate, seems to me the reports I read vary each time I read a new one, but as memory serves (and this can be way off at this point), people's reaction can change from one end of the spectrum to the other, at any given time. You may be sensitive to the plant, and always will be. You may not be sensitive to it, and never will be. You may develope an immunity, or lose the immunity.

I've also heard (I'm not so sure this is true, as I've yet to meet anyone that it's happened to) that you can develope "memory spots". Say, for example, your first time was on your left arm, the rash developes, you suffer, it goes away. Next time, your leg brushes up against it, yet, the rash developes on your left arm again. It was explained that the body just sends the 'irritation signals' to the old location because there's message mix ups in the wiring. Could be possible, not sure. This could also be explained maybe by, your leg skin isn't as susceptible, so less/no irritation occurs, and since you didn't realize you came into contact, you inadvertantly spread the oil, and now it seems you have a "memory spot." I'm more apt to believe the "spread without knowing" idea (especially since I used my own brain power to reason that one out), over the "mixed up wiring" theory that was touted on the news blurb. The oil does spread, the rash does spread (if you don't prevent it). Although, it is entirely possible that I could be wrong.

(By the way, the 'memory spot' thing I had heard was also regarding poison oak, not ivy.)

Me, I've never had it. I've been blessed enough to avoid it like the plague.

ranran "now I feel itchy..." yousei

MarkS

quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGOTHA:
Everyone is sensitive to poison ivy. And the more you handle it, the more sensitive you become.

Amparage is correct. And grackle's friend is a classic example. The friend handled poison ivy a lot. Thus she became more sensitive to it every time she handled it. If she'd left it alone, she probably never would have developed a reaction the few times she did come in contact with it; and might think she was 'immune'. But she wouldn't be immune. She just has a very low sensitivity.

So, all you out there who think you're immune to Poison ivy, oak and summac, you're not. You just have a high threshold. Avoid the stuff anyway.

Not according to this:

http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter61.asp?WID=%7B152E5EF6-F047-41A1-8C6B-FD479F496B02%7D

"While some people certainly have the luck of the draw and are naturally immune to poison ivy, others become so over time. And worse, some people seemingly lose their immunity for no apparent reason at all."

So Otter, it seems your "macho friends" may be telling the truth, after all.

Simetrical

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never come down with any poison ivy-related rash, to my memory. This probably has to do with the fact that I rarely have anything to do with any sort of greenery at all. I haven't the foggiest idea what poison ivy looks like.
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGOTHA:
Everyone is sensitive to poison ivy. And the more you handle it, the more sensitive you become.....

That's not true at all. That's like saying everyone is allergic to peanuts. Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac all have Urushiol on their leaves. This is a common Allergen. Depending on when you first came into contact with it, or possibly the first few times, you may develop an allergy. It's possible to develop allergies later in life, and it's possible for allergies to diappear. It depends on the persons immune system, since allergies are an imunno-response.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lawguy
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lawguy   Author's Homepage   E-mail lawguy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Jaguar:
Indeed... Well, you don't really "get" poison ivy, you get a rash FROM it.

and your point would be...?

--------------------
"I've argued in front of every judge in this state, often as a lawyer."

Posts: 1021 | From: Northwest Indiana | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[hijack] lawguy, did you get my PM? [/hijack]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ASquared
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ASquared   E-mail 2ASquared   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ranran yousei:

At some point, for some reason, he stopped having the reaction (while still living at the place in the woods). He can grab the stuff, rub it on himself, and nothing. Not a sinlge red irritation. He's been like this for over 20 years now. He rarely comes into contact with the plant anymore, but whenever he does, he tests the immunity, and it's still there.

Hey, same thing happened to me. When I was younger and went crawling through the woods with friends, I would come home each day with a rash from poison Ivy. But recently, I have been able to walk through giant patches of it without getting a rash at all. (This really irritates my friend who I forgot still got bad reactions to it and he followed me through a bunch of poison ivy)
Posts: 51 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CatPurrson
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CatPurrson   E-mail CatPurrson   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, what MarkS said! [Smile]

Poison ivy is just another allergen. An extremely common one, but an allergen. It's that lovely oil on the leaves, urushiol(sp?) that causes the problem. With any allergen, some people already have antibodies (IgE, specifically) to that allergen, and react the first time they come into contact with it. Others may not produce antibodies until the 2nd or 200th time, if ever.

AFAIK, right now I'm *not* allergic to poison ivy, but that could change. My dad wasn't allergic when he was young, but as he got older he became quite allergic and had to be very careful whenever he did yardwork. My sis has been allergic since she was very young. Me, I rolled on the stuff as a kid with no problem whatsoever, but now I wouldn't want to risk picking up a handful of the stuff.

I've heard doctors tell people to wash with a really strong soap (Dial being one I've heard recommended) if they suspect that they've come into contact with the oil. If you do this quickly enough, you might head off a reaction, or at least make it less severe. The only way a poison ivy rash will "spread" is if you haven't gotten all of the oil washed off and it gets smeared around.

Hope that was helpful.

CatPurrson

--------------------
People who hate cats may have been rats in a previous life.

Posts: 114 | From: South Carolina | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GooglyEyes
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GooglyEyes   E-mail GooglyEyes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Following CatPurrson's post, the allergens from poison ivy/oak can also stick to your clothes through many washings. You can put on clothes that have been through the wash a few times and if you happen to brush against a molecule (probably facetious) you can be re-exposed even years later.
Posts: 789 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages