snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » No, it's not a myth: No two snowflakes are ever alike

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No, it's not a myth: No two snowflakes are ever alike
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 206 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Millions or even billions of snowflakes fall to the earth every winter. But each of those flakes is different.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/2003/12/13/news/news02.txt

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall seeing somewhere (maybe the children's book Snowflake Bentley?) that someone HAS found identical snowflakes before. But it's very, very rare.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Red Squirrel

Icon 207 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can only imagine what life a person must have if they spend their time searching for identical snowflakes..... [Razz]

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bufungla
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 22 posted      Profile for bufungla   Author's Homepage   E-mail bufungla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ElphabaFaye:
I recall seeing somewhere (maybe the children's book Snowflake Bentley?) that someone HAS found identical snowflakes before. But it's very, very rare.

Nancy Knight of the National Center for Atmospheric Research, for one.

quote:
As part of a study of cirrus clouds for NASA, Knight found two crystals with IDENTICAL STRUCTURES. During a research flight into a Wisconsin snowstorm, she collected some snowflakes on a glass slide coated with oil.

MORE THAN A YEAR LATER she re-examined the photos of the flakes and noted the similarity. Not only that, the shape of the crystals - which have thick asymmetrical hollow columns in the center - is unlike anything she's observed before or found in the literature.

She reported her findings in the May Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society. With the coming of colder weather, interest in her findings has been, well, snowballing.

Googling on this was maddening - almost all the hits were personal pages and such, and the number of pages saying "Of course, no two snowflakes are alike" did not heavily outnumber the ones saying "recently scientists have discovered identical snowflakes" (with both statements presented as fact without justification or reference).
This was the most reputable link I could find about the Knight discovery (though not the most informative).

buf 'I must be the biggest flake for spending this much time on it' ungla

--------------------
"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature."

George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra

Posts: 4847 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What do you mean by "identical?" Exact same number of atoms? Same number of deuterium atoms? Sam number of molecules of dissolved CO2? Sam number of atoms of absorbed Chlorine? Same number of imbedded grains of pollen?

Or just "look alike to the naked eye?"

Or...what?

Silas

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cevik
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
What do you mean by "identical?" Exact same number of atoms? Same number of deuterium atoms? Sam number of molecules of dissolved CO2? Sam number of atoms of absorbed Chlorine? Same number of imbedded grains of pollen?

Or just "look alike to the naked eye?"

Or...what?

Silas

It turns out that they are different quantum realities of the same snowflake, one just happens to be visiting from The Universe Next Door.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 201 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -

Falling Physics, When the Weather Outside Is Frightful

By DENNIS OVERBYE

"The morphology of the snowflake that falls on your windshield depends on the random and erratic path it took from its birth as a seedling to get there. Since no two crystals will follow the exact same path, it is unlikely any two of them will look identical. "We can calculate the odds of identical snowflakes: they are astronomically small," Dr. Libbrecht said in an interview."

-

No two alike (probably): the amazing morphology of snowflakes

Who cares about astronomical odds against matches when astronomical numbers of snowflakes fall? As good as it is, the article frustrates because it doesn't provide the numbers for 'the odds against matching' vs. 'the number of fallen flakes past, present and future'. We could learn that exponential numbers of flakes match, matched or will match.

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barns & No Bull

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Barns & No Bull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Millions or even billions of snowflakes fall to the earth every winter. But each of those flakes is different.

http://www.daily-chronicle.com/articles/2003/12/13/news/news02.txt

From Cecil's The Straight Dope:

"It's been calculated that in a volume of snow two feet square by ten inches deep there are roughly one million flakes. Multiply that by the millions of square miles that are covered by snow each year (nearly one fourth of the earth's land surface)..."

Hmmmm.... I think that no two articles or opinions on snowflakes match [Big Grin]

--------------------
Terrified, mortified, petrified, stupefied... by you!

Posts: 3157 | From: Illinois | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages