snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Science Archive » Why Do We Feel "Smarter" On Some Days?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why Do We Feel "Smarter" On Some Days?
BeowulfGirl
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeowulfGirl   E-mail BeowulfGirl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I normally fear the Science message board, but I figured that someone out there would know the answer to this!

I know everyone has probably experienced this; on some days, I just feel more mentally alert, quicker with words, more eloquent, and generally "smarter." (I'm sorry, today is not one of them...) Other days, I have trouble doing simple math and forming a coherent sentence!

I've tried to determine if there's a common denominator on the days that I just seem more "with it" than others, such as quality/length of sleep the night before, type of breakfast eaten, any medication taken, etc., but there doesn't seem to be one. (I figure that if I can figure out what it is, I can purposely "induce" one of those "smart days.")

Anyone know?

Posts: 1790 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could have tell you yesterday today me dumb today.
Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps on the "dumb" days, your body isn't doing as good a job of getting oxygen to your brain? I know I tend to feel a little dopey when I have a bad cold.

Nonny "Ann Eckdote" Mouse

------------------
www.geocities.com/ncmcphee

"Aden, I don’t think you’re thinking clearly," Kerra protested breathlessly. "You’ve been exposed to a very powerful pheromone. There may be lingering effects! This could be dangerous!"

Aden buried his face in her hair, inhaling the clean, feminine scent of her. "Mmmm," he murmured wickedly. "Kerra-mones. Delicious."

Into the Fire by Norma McPhee NOW AVAILABLE from LTDBooks

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bflyalt
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 

BeowulfGirl, do you keep any records? Do you put check on the calendar?
Start doing something. Devise a system on your next smart day and follow it. Measure your temperature, weight, pulse rate, etc. That’s how science is done. Every study starts with observation.

------------------
Happy Me

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ROBERT.BAK

One cause of such days for me is when I have excessive blood glucose (say around 10 mmol/l — thats about 180 mg/dl). On my most recent such day (Wednesday 7th March), I satyed in bed the whole day...

Nostradamus

On excessive blood glucose--that could be it, but why is the amt. of sugar in your blood higher on, say, Tuesdays than Thursdays? Perhaps diet is the answer. Glucose is, of course, stored energy, and a body that isn't using its stores to full advantage is like a man with more food in his fridge than he can eat in a week that'll go bad in five days.
There is a psychological condition in which the human body performs better on sunny days or times of year than in bad weather or colder months. Maybe you just need some sun, querida....

JK Will

Icon 18 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suspect as some of the other people here have hinted it could be in the blood... bloody oxygenation, blood flow, glucose etc. It can also do with how much rest you have had (and what kind of rest), your physical and mental health and so on. Probably at least a dozen factors.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages