snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Computers Archive » CBS Camera Phone Hoax

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CBS Camera Phone Hoax
Dan Kelly
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 603 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The email below is a hoax that has been circulating since January, CBS has never run this story. The current resolution in camera phones make it impossible to take a picture of someones credit card without being obvious and overly intrusive.

Keep a watch out for people standing near you in the checkout line at retail stores, restaurants, grocery stores, etc who have a camera cell phone in hand. With the camera cell phones, they can take a picture of your credit card, which gives them your name, number, and expiration date. CBS reported this type of identification theft is one of the fastest growing scams today. Be aware of your surroundings, forward to all your friends and family.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cell-a-chow

Welcome to the boards.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cellphone Crime Discussion on Snopes Board

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dan Kelly

Icon 603 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Cell phone hoax.

Apparently there is another hoax, circulating that if you have someone press your remote key for your car, while holding it up to a cell phone, it will open your car. This is impossible since the key remote uses infared and not sound to transmit the signal.

Eve MG
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eve MG   Author's Homepage   E-mail Eve MG   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Exactly.

Welcome. And sorry you got chowed on your first two posts.

Eve MG

--------------------
I love dairy! Does that mean I can't be a vegan?

Posts: 1569 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NickFun
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NickFun   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
However, camera phones CAN take naked pictures of my ex-wife. Maybe I'll post them somewhere.

--------------------
"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family." —George W. Bush, Greater Nashua, N.H., Jan. 27, 2000

Posts: 102 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What kind of camera phones do these people have?
Personally i have a Nokie 3200 and the camera isn't all that great. I'd basically have to be stood on the person with the card to be able to get a picture in which the detail would be clear enoough to read.

On the cash machine subject, i'm always very careful that noone is around me when i take out my money. It's rather obvious what i'm doing and people around me probably find it a bit insulting, but it's better to be safe than sorry me thinks.

Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Agreed. Camera phones are still fairly low-res (until the megapixel variety comes along). There is no way in heck you can get a legible picture of a card on a phone.

Admittedly snapped in low light, but still.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NickFun:
However, camera phones CAN take naked pictures of my ex-wife. Maybe I'll post them somewhere.

Well if your not using E-Bay anymore, sell your ex-wife on it. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Laura:
What kind of camera phones do these people have?

Unfortunately I don't have one. [Frown]

But I do have a web camera. Might get a digital camera to replace it to rid of pixel blurbs.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
 -
here is a picture of my amex card taken from about a meter with my SE t610 phone

as you can see you can not read anything on on it

edit to say a meter is about 3 feet for all you non metric types

you can not read the laptop screen let alone the card

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i know this is off subject but you sure have a lot of icons on that screen.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages