snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Computers Archive » Everything.exe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Everything.exe
Hacker Barbie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just got an e-mail from someone that I don't know (but who has an e-mail address of my university) that says this:

quote:
The people I work with are great. We all get along so well with each other. When
something is wrong with one of us, we are all there to help out the best we can.
For example, when one of my coworkers was out having surgery, all the other
girls did her clients for her. My boss is another reason why I love my job. He
is a very understanding guy. He works around my school schedule so I could have
plenty of working hours.

It also has an attachment called everything.exe

Why would someone I don't know be e-mailing me about how wonderful their boss is? Is it perhaps a virus?

Another thing: This thing ended up in my "junk mail" folder of hotmail, suggesting that it was probably a mass-mailing. Our school does not have distribution lists available to the public, so I don't think that she could have mailed it out to the whole school on purpose.

Hacker "everything you ever wanted" Barbie

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floom
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dont open the attachment. Exe is a nono.

Dont open attachments from anyone you dont know.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
*Astrik*
Xboxing Day

Icon 98 posted      Profile for *Astrik*   Author's Homepage   E-mail *Astrik*   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
For example, when one of my coworkers was out having surgery, all the other
girls did her clients for her.

Whoa...they did her clients! Now that's thoughtful!

~Mazel "My mind is NFBSK!" Tov~

Posts: 1377 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You're on the right path by not downloading it. Even if it's from someone you know, *always* be dubious of an unrequested e-mail attachment - particularly one ending in .exe. But you already knew that.

I tried Googling and searching Symantec and couldn't find anything virus-related. So either (a) this is a new virus that hasn't been diagnosed yet, (b) the file extension changes with each distribution, or (c) it isn't a virus (seems rather unlikely).

Take a look at the e-mail headers. It may be that someone has forged an e-mail address to get their victims' trust. Also, I'd forward it to an administrator if you can, to make sure that they are aware of the situation.

Jonny T.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some viruses nab parts of a random file or e-mail from your hard drive to attach themselves to before forwarding themselves; I don't know anything of the specifics but that might explain the strange message.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Moon Shadows
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 86 posted      Profile for Lady Moon Shadows   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
i got this the other day too.. in my yahoo account of all things--and yahoo's virus checker said it was not a virus..strange, i still did not download it.. do they think we are that stupid??? gah...

btw--yahoo--system admin.. who would i foward this too so that they can handle it? or should i not and just leave it deleted?

--------------------
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate and wine in hand, body thoroughly used up, and screaming WoW what a ride!

Posts: 2924 | From: Flori-duh | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 02 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I may not be a virus, but it could be just as bad. I played around with one just to see what it did. I first updated Norton and then scaned for virus. Finding none I opened it. It took me to a adverstiment site on the web. Then I poked around a saw it install spyware for snoping on my web browsing. I do now know what else may have been install. I would not have opened it in the first place, if it were not for the fact I was going to reformat that computers HD the next day.
Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hacker Barbie
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hacker Barbie   E-mail Hacker Barbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackForge:
I may not be a virus, but it could be just as bad. I played around with one just to see what it did. I first updated Norton and then scaned for virus. Finding none I opened it. It took me to a adverstiment site on the web. Then I poked around a saw it install spyware for snoping on my web browsing. I do now know what else may have been install. I would not have opened it in the first place, if it were not for the fact I was going to reformat that computers HD the next day.

I'm sorry if my post provoked that little experiment.

And as for spyware, I suggest that everyone should have a firewall (to keep unwanted traffic from going out as well as coming in). But since you know how to re-format a computer drive you probably know that. So I guess I'll post it as a kind of public service announcement.

Hacker "zonealarm is awesome" Barbie

Posts: 2351 | From: Germany | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlackForge
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackForge     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hacker Barbie, Fair River Daughter:
And as for spyware, I suggest that everyone should have a firewall (to keep unwanted traffic from going out as well as coming in). But since you know how to re-format a computer drive you probably know that. So I guess I'll post it as a kind of public service announcement.

Zonealarm will not work here. The spyware I talking about is part of a cookie. If you let IE or Netscape out to the internet. The spyware still get through. The good news is it does not send personal info out. The bad new is it the advertisers your a good e-mail address and what you look at and download from the net.

Zonealarm Pro come with the option to download a progam that will check your cookies and find thies program and shut them down. You can also goto Gibson Research and download OptOut for free.

It is a good idea to install this type of software anyway. You do not know what webpage you been to that will install this time of spyware on your computer without you knowing. You maybe supprised and the number of programs spying on your every move though the internet.

Hacker Barbie, I did this experment over 2 month ago. Long before I read this article. Thanks for your concern.

Posts: 1152 | From: Somewere | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages