snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Computers Archive » Hidden Elevator Code

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hidden Elevator Code
Boris41029
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On the website eeggs.com (an easter egg website) they claim that if you hold the Door Close button and the Floor button you want at the same time on some elevators, then the elevator goes into express mode. Not necessarily going any faster, but just ignoring any other requests from different floors. Does anyone know the validity of this claim? I know you'd have to test it on various elevators w/ 3 or more floors. Is this true, and if so, is it part of some secret organization conspiracy, or just a neat elevator feature?

Boris "keeps the metric system down" 41029

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris41029:
Does anyone know the validity of this claim? I know you'd have to test it on various elevators w/ 3 or more floors. Is this true, and if so, is it part of some secret organization conspiracy, or just a neat elevator feature?
Boris "keeps the metric system down" 41029

It's not false, but it's not universally true either. There are some elevators that will respond as described. They're usually found in older or lower traffic buildings. Imagine if this feature were active in any downtown hi-rise; many riders would use it, thus redering the system inefficient or ineffective. Hey, trying it doesn't hurt but be prepared to look goofy when the door opens and you're holding the buttons.

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Boris41029

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Para Diddle, do you know of any specific buildings in specific cities where I could try this out? I seriously want to do this. Plus, has anyone else heard/done any of this elevator thing?
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried this in our library's elevator, and it worked!

'Course, the library has only two floors....

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
odaiwai

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris41029:
On the website eeggs.com (an easter egg website) they claim that if you hold the Door Close button and the Floor button you want at the same time on some elevators, then the elevator goes into express mode. Not necessarily going any faster, but just ignoring any other requests from different floors. Does anyone know the validity of this claim? I know you'd have to test it on various elevators w/ 3 or more floors. Is this true, and if so, is it part of some secret organization conspiracy, or just a neat elevator feature?

I remember trying this when I first heard about it and it didn't work for my office building. However, the building is only 6 floors high and the lifts only work over three of them, so it isn't very representative.

Holding the close button does prevent the door being open by the 'call life' buttons outside though.

dave

Fanger

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just pressing and holding the floor button on the elevator where I work will make it bypass any other floors in the building. The elevator will stop for a moment (and jerk), but then moves on to the desired floor.

I think it has something to do with the age of the elevator. It was installed in 1967, and I've never gotten this to work on any that are newer.

I use this "feature" all the time when I'm on the first floor and desparately have to get to the bathrooms on the fifth!

Fan (Don't think you're going to stop me when I really have to go!) ger

Fanger

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry about immediately posting again, but I forgot to mention something to Boris...

You might try this in the Seven-O-Seven building in downtown Roanoke. (It's on Jefferson Street, near Community Hospital.)

I haven't tried this there, but it's the only older building with a elevator travelling to more than three floors, that I can think of in Roanoke.

Sorry, again, for posting something so regionally specific...but I didn't see any reason for Boris to travel very far, just to try out this elevator trick!

Fanger

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages