snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » History Archive » February 29th 1949

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: February 29th 1949
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure quite where this belongs...
I'm on an e-list for astrologers; yesterday one member posted that she'd been trying to do a birthchart for somebody who claimed he had been born on February 29th 1949. Naturally, most of us pooh-poohed it and told her to ask the guy to check his birth certificate; several of us quoted the Leap Year rule (February 29th only comes in years that are divisible by 4 & not divisible by 400).
However, a couple of people decided to do a search on Google, and came up with several instances of February 29th apparently occurring in non-Leap Years
quote:
...it seems not only does 1949 have a February 29, but also
1948, 1950 AND 1947 are all reported in a google search as being days when newspapers were published, people died, things happened. i.e. all the normal daily stuff.

quote:
The Chicago Sunday Tribune http://web.library.uiuc.edu/ahx/ead/ua/2620095/2620095series6.html and
Tennessee Putnam Herald http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mcgee/c/rfc787/rfc78703.html
were both published on 29 February 1949.
quote:

It seems that Switzerland had a leap year in 1949. (referenced at http://www.marxists.org/archive/cliff/works/1950/07/3.htm )
So did Wisconsin at http://www.angelfire.com/fl5/midnightangel44/powmiapages.html
and 29 February 1949 appears in a UN document at http://domino.un.org/UNISPAL.NSF/0/6b189672cac9e58a85256d9f006554b8?OpenDocument
Other references "On February 29, 1949, Dassault's straight-winged creation, the M.D.450 Ouragan "Hurricane") took to the air, and promptly earned a contract for 150 more. As with McDonnell, MiG and Saab, Dassault's first jet was to be the forerunner of a dynasty of great aircraft, such as the Mystère
and the Mirage." http://www.history1900s.about.com/library/prm/bldefiningthejet5.htm
Atomic Energy policy - Appendices, February 29, 1949 appears in Harry S Truman's files at http://www.trumanlibrary.org/nsc.htm http://www.goacom.com/saligao_tinto/articles/scroll1.htm holds a reference
to somone's death on 29 February 1949.
NBC put out radio shows on 29 February 1949 [URL=http://www.thrillingdetective.com/diamond.html
]http://www.thrillingdetective.com/diamond.html [/URL]
Major Lucian Nevelson Youngblood died on 29 February 1949 http://www.doolittleraider.com/raiders/youngblood.htm
Theer are other references. People seem to persist in dying, marrying and being born on that date.
It seems that some people believed that there was a 29 February in 1949. I realise that it's extremely irritating of them. But this is certainly not as straightforward a question as it looked.
Almost all of the references I found to 29 February 1949 existing as a date were American.

And I found this guywho also belives he was born on February 29th 1949.

Yes, I know that 1949 and the other years cited could not have been Leap years. But that's a heck of a lot of typos!

(Edited to try to tidy up links)

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
W. Fikere Tomba
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
1948 was a leap year. As for '47, '49, and '50, you can't say how many apparent typos is too many unless you check a lot of known non-leap years to figure out the average rate of mistaken Feb. 29ths being recorded.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenny   E-mail Jenny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At least they're *obviously* typos. How many incorrect dates are quoted and never noticed because they're not implausible like these?
Posts: 67 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
arnie
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for arnie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder how many people have dated documents as April, June, September or November 31st?

--------------------
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 593 | From: Charlton, Sarf Lunnon | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hell's Granny:
Not sure quite where this belongs...
I'm on an e-list for astrologers; yesterday one member posted that she'd been trying to do a birthchart for somebody who claimed he had been born on February 29th 1949. Naturally, most of us pooh-poohed it and told her to ask the guy to check his birth certificate; several of us quoted the Leap Year rule (February 29th only comes in years that are divisible by 4 & not divisible by 400).

*nitpick*
Years that are cleanly divisible by 400 are leap years- reference the year 2000 as an example. Of course, the last one before that was 1600, so it's a fairly obscure rule.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cobra4J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobra4J   E-mail Cobra4J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe I can scramble this up even more.

I would say such examples are indeed typos- that someone wrote down the wrong date- which is easy to think about since every month except February has at least 30 or 31 days. If someone remembers yesterday was the 28th, then wrote down the 29th- that's understandable.

However, not too many years ago we had a "leap second"; someone added one second to the clock. All this was done to get our calendar right (right with who or what I am not certain). But, if someone decided our calendars were out of synch in 1949 they might have turned that into a leap year also. I doubt it, but it is possible. Anyone know of any time they added an extra leap year or 2?

Posts: 479 | From: Owosso, MI | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
W. Fikere Tomba

The rule goes like this: all years divisible by 4 are leap years, except multiples of 100 that are not divisible by 400.

Regarding the OP, I'd like to point out that "Feb. 29, 1949" could be a typo for "Feb. 29, 1948." That actually seems to me an easier error to make.

W. Fikere Tomba

quote:
Originally posted by Cobra4J:
However, not too many years ago we had a "leap second"; someone added one second to the clock. All this was done to get our calendar right (right with who or what I am not certain). But, if someone decided our calendars were out of synch in 1949 they might have turned that into a leap year also. I doubt it, but it is possible. Anyone know of any time they added an extra leap year or 2?

I am sure this didn't occur. The Gregorian calendar is far too accurate to have been already off by a day in 1949.
Jaeger
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaeger   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jaeger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What I find hard to believe is that the guy who requested the birthchart is being genuine about this. He can't possibly have lived this long without the question having been raised before, and he must have either an answer or a theory about it.

It sounds as though he's not quite sincere about wanting a birthchart, at the very least.

- Jaeger

Posts: 1158 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizake the mizan

*more nitpicking*

All years are divisible by four. It's just that some of the divisions have remainders.

RichardMi

Lucian Nevelson Youngblood (1918-1949)
Class: Air Force
Born 05/26/1918
Texas, Pampa Major
Died 02/30/1949
Found this on a site called Roll Call of Heros.

Note the date of death. More research may be needed.

RichardMi

Co-Pilot Lt. Lucian Nevelson Youngblood Pampa, FL Feb 28, 1949

And this from the other web site a google search on this gentleman's name turns up. Note the date as Feb. 28, not the 29th or 30th. Some one might want to go by UTD where the museum on the Dolittle raid is and see what they say.
Richard

Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra4J:
However, not too many years ago we had a "leap second"; someone added one second to the clock. All this was done to get our calendar right (right with who or what I am not certain).

Leap Seconds:
quote:
The first leap second was added on June 30, 1972, and they occur at a rate of slightly less than one per year, on average.
No mention of any extra leap days, as far as I could tell.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to my Granny, born in 1918, February 2004 was the first February in her lifetime to have 5 Sundays in it...

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
. . . but, according to today's Metro, it last occurred in 1976
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hell's Granny
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hell's Granny   Author's Homepage   E-mail Hell's Granny   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jaeger:
What I find hard to believe is that the guy who requested the birthchart is being genuine about this. He can't possibly have lived this long without the question having been raised before, and he must have either an answer or a theory about it.

I entirely agree, J. The first day he entered school, a teacher would have queried it. And what about Social Security, Inland Revenue, insurance companies?
Anyway, my friend says he's now telling her that his birth certificate really does say February 29th 1949, but a "dateline deviation" (his words) got corrected in Iceland (where he was born) in 1949, which resulted in a time zone shift, or whatever, which made it necessary to add an extra day to February locally.
Garbage. Total garbage.

--------------------
Oakleaf Circle - Elfin Magical Diary-Transit: the astrologers' newsletter

Posts: 1304 | From: South-West Scotland | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
. . but, according to today's Metro, it last occurred in 1976
Bah - should have put that under old wives' tales! I'll be giving my granny a strict telling off. Mind you she was only told it by some guy she met in the street. And of course it never crossed my mind to check it myself as that would have involved what I believe the Beano refers to as Hard Sums.

[Smile]

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly China didn't adopt the Gregorian calander until 1949. By then they were 13 days behind. It's possible they had A February 41, 1949 if they crammed all those extra days onto February.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Interestingly China didn't adopt the Gregorian calander until 1949. By then they were 13 days behind. It's possible they had A February 41, 1949 if they crammed all those extra days onto February.

No, they would have had to drop 13 days OUT of the calendar. In 1752, when England and the Colonies adopted the Gregorian calendar, Wednesday, September 2, was followed by Thursday, September 14. Eleven days were eliminated, not added.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:

No, they would have had to drop 13 days OUT of the calendar. In 1752, when England and the Colonies adopted the Gregorian calendar, Wednesday, September 2, was followed by Thursday, September 14. Eleven days were eliminated, not added.
Opps, I was thinking I might have that backwards. I guess that's not related then. Thanks, I've learned my one new thing for the day, I can now shut my brain off.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
W. Fikere Tomba

quote:
Originally posted by Hell's Granny:
Anyway, my friend says he's now telling her that his birth certificate really does say February 29th 1949, but a "dateline deviation" (his words) got corrected in Iceland (where he was born) in 1949, which resulted in a time zone shift, or whatever, which made it necessary to add an extra day to February locally.

Since Iceland is nowhere near the International Date Line -- wrong side of the Earth in fact -- this sounds unlikely.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages