snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » History Archive » dollar bill star of david?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: dollar bill star of david?
mayvenne
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Can any one shed some light on why there is a star of David (or what looks like one) and a menorah on the dollar bill? I have heard all sorts of stories but am unable to find the truth.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Animal (or god?) who stole Xmas

Icon 605 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't seen a Menorah on it, and don't believe there is one on there. However the Star of David appears due to Masonic connections, and the same goes for the pyramid with the eye at the top. Many of the US founding fathers were freemasons, and their imagery and symbolism can be found everywhere from the Statue of Liberty, to the Central Washington DC street plan, to more obscure variants such as the Mormon temple ceremony and even the dreaded KKK.
ZenKnight, Desert Dragon

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Both of you are doing better than me, I can't even find the star.
the lil rossdawg that santa forgot

Icon 106 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Check above the head of the Eagle on the back of a one. It is one of the "Great Seals" created in the Continental Congress by Franklin and a group of congressmen. It is a constellation of 13 stars representing the first 13 colonies. It has nothing to do with a Magendavid or Star of David. It was a classical design trying to be as symetrical as possible with 13 stars. Much the same way a Sheriff's or police badge has nothing to do with Judiasm or the star of David or the state of Israel (modern or in Biblical times). You will also find Eagle clutching olive branches (representing peace) with 13 leaves and 13 arrows in his other foot. Both are representative of the 13 original colonies.
On the front in the Treasury seal (scales, chevron and key) you will also find a chevron containing 13 stars between the scales and key.

Frankd6

On every $1.00 bill in my pocket, the 13 stars over the Eagle are 5 pointed. I thought the Star of David was 6 pointed.
Wizard of Yendor
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Wizard of Yendor   E-mail Wizard of Yendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frankd6:
On every $1.00 bill in my pocket, the 13 stars over the Eagle are 5 pointed. I thought the Star of David was 6 pointed.

Yes, but all the stars together form a 6 pointed star (kind of).
Posts: 2352 | From: California | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ZenKnight, Desert Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by the Wizard of Yendor:
quote:
Originally posted by Frankd6:

Yes, but all the stars together form a 6 pointed star (kind of).
You're right, I wasn't looking with my conspiracy glasses on.

So yes, it is a Zionist plot.

Frankd6

OK, I see it now. Can anyone point out the menorah?

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is none on any bill. And contrary to popular belief there are two types of "menorah". There is one with 7 "lamps" and one with 8 and a "shamosh" which is used at Hannukah and this one is called a Hannukiah.
Bonnie

Icon 104 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jewish Symbols in the American one dollar bill?

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
anue
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 102 posted      Profile for anue   E-mail anue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bonnie:
Jewish Symbols in the American one dollar bill?

Thanks, Bonnie, first of all. And second of all, why do you have negative 151 posts? And someone else here has __.141592 etc posts.. how does THAT work?

--------------------
om mani padme hum

Posts: 2306 | From: tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nofret

quote:
Originally posted by The Animal (or god?) who stole Xmas:
I haven't seen a Menorah on it, and don't believe there is one on there. However the Star of David appears due to Masonic connections, and the same goes for the pyramid with the eye at the top. Many of the US founding fathers were freemasons, and their imagery and symbolism can be found everywhere from the Statue of Liberty, to the Central Washington DC street plan, to more obscure variants such as the Mormon temple ceremony and even the dreaded KKK.

According to this essay by a Mason, the eye in the pyramid isn't a Masonic symbol at all. It's just one of those "facts" that everyone KNOWS is true--rather like Parson Weems' tale of little George Washington chopping down the cherry tree. The author states, and explains, the following:

* Benjamin Franklin was the only Mason on the first design committee, and his suggestions had no Masonic content.

* None of the final designers of the seal were Masons.

* The interpretation of the eye on the seal is subtly different from the interpretation used by Masons.

* The eye in the pyramid is not nor has it ever been a Masonic symbol.

http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/d/r/dryfoo/www/Masonry/Essays/eyepyr.html

Icon 108 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah the site Bonnie posted seems to straighten the issue out and if they was a desire to honor Jews with a menorah I doubt they would do so upside down and hidden.
Bonnie

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks, Bonnie, first of all.
Gosh, you're very welcome, TreeHugger.

quote:
And second of all, why do you have negative 151 posts? And someone else here has __.141592 etc posts.. how does THAT work?
Ahem. Apparently not very well.

Bonnie "of that, I'm positive" Taylor

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

quote:
Originally posted by the lil rossdawg that santa forgot:
Check above the head of the Eagle on the back of a one. It is one of the "Great Seals" created in the Continental Congress by Franklin and a group of congressmen. It is a constellation of 13 stars representing the first 13 colonies. It has nothing to do with a Magendavid or Star of David. It was a classical design trying to be as symetrical as possible with 13 stars. Much the same way a Sheriff's or police badge has nothing to do with Judiasm or the star of David or the state of Israel (modern or in Biblical times). You will also find Eagle clutching olive branches (representing peace) with 13 leaves and 13 arrows in his other foot. Both are representative of the 13 original colonies.
On the front in the Treasury seal (scales, chevron and key) you will also find a chevron containing 13 stars between the scales and key.

It's as good as a Magen David since it's identical. But I don't think it was put there by Jewish people.

Actually what is creepy is that novus ordus seclorum ... annuis coepit (or whatever the exact Latin phrasing is), and the "evil eye" watching off the top of the unfinished pyramid.

quote:
Originally posted by Nofret:
[QUOTE]According to this essay by a Mason, the eye in the pyramid isn't a Masonic symbol at all.

* Benjamin Franklin was the only Mason on the first design committee, and his suggestions had no Masonic content.

* None of the final designers of the seal were Masons.

* The eye in the pyramid is not nor has it ever been a Masonic symbol.

[/URL]

Well the Star of David isn't a Jewish symbol either, it's a symbol that came to be adopted by Jews after the time of David apparently, and is also known as the Seal of Solomon.

"* The eye in the pyramid is not nor has it ever been a Masonic symbol. "

Yes it has been. The Masons had a particular predilection for Biblical and pseudo-Egyptian imagery.

As someone else has pointed out, it is actually strange heraldry bearing not much resemblence to the usual older European arms, unless you count the eagle as a generic one, rather than a lcoal species.

ZenKnight, Desert Dragon

quote:
Actually what is creepy is that novus ordus seclorum ... annuis coepit (or whatever the exact Latin phrasing is), and the "evil eye" watching off the top of the unfinished pyramid.

Frankly, I'm amazed that after centuries of progress we're still little better than dimwitted peasants stewing in superstition and shrieking in fear of the unknown.

Novus: nov.us ADJ 1 1 NOM S M OS
novus, nova -um, novior -or -us, novissimus -a -um ADJ
new, fresh, young; unusual, extraordinary; (novae res, f. pl. = revolution);

Ordo: N 3 1 NOM S M
ordo, ordinis N M
row, order/rank; succession; series; class; bank (oars); order (of monks) (Bee

Seclorum: Word mod cl/cul
An internal 'cl' might be rendered by 'cul'
secul.orum N 2 2 GEN P N
seculum, seculi N N Later
the world/universe; secular/temporal/earthly/worldly affairs/cares/temptation

That's hardly sinister, the Americas were commonly referred to as the "New World" after their discovery. Democracy in the US was a brand new experiment in government, an experiment the rest of the world at the time was confident would fail.

All-seeing eye

quote:
The All-Seeing Eye -- a single human eye surrounded by radiating beams of light -- is found in many eras and cultures. It is generally a symbol of the watchful and protective power of the Supreme Being, especially when that entity is considered in a solar or heavenly context. It appears on the Great Seal of the United States, and is among the many beautiful symbols of Freemasonry, where it represents the Great Architect of the Universe.
Annuit: annu.it V 3 1 PRES ACTIVE IND 3 S
annu.it V 3 1 PERF ACTIVE IND 3 S
annuo, annuere, annui, annutus V
designate w/nod, nod assent; indicate, declare; favor/smile on; agree to, gran

Coeptis: coept.is VPAR 3 1 DAT P X PERF PASSIVE PPL
coept.is VPAR 3 1 ABL P X PERF PASSIVE PPL
coepio, coepere, coepi, coeptus V
begin, commence, initiate; set foot on; (usu. PERF, PASS w/PASS INF; PRES earl
coept.is ADJ 1 1 DAT P X POS
coept.is ADJ 1 1 ABL P X POS
coeptus, coepta, coeptum ADJ
begun, started, commenced; undertaken;
coept.is N 2 2 DAT P N
coept.is N 2 2 ABL P N
coeptum, coepti N N
undertaking (usu.pl.), enterprise, scheme; work begun/started/taken in hand

"God smile upon our work"

Terrifying imagery, I must go wash out my underwear now and prepare for the coming Illuminati.

Worker and Parasite

Perhaps the King of Nepal is part of the Zionist scheme as well. I mean, look at his hat:

-

I've posted this picture once before, but I really like it, because it shows how other cultures do not have the same concept of the meaning of the Star of David.

Alladin

quote:
Many of the US founding fathers were freemasons, and their imagery and symbolism can be found everywhere from the Statue of Liberty, to the Central Washington DC street plan

How has the statue of liberty got anything to do with the US's founding fathers???!!! I thought it was French.
Death by Autopsy

Oh for f*'s sake. "Their" refers to Freemasons, not the Founding Fathers...
Death by Autopsy

quote:
Originally posted by ZenKnight, Desert Dragon:
[QUOTE]

That's hardly sinister, the Americas were commonly referred to as the "New World" after their discovery. Democracy in the US was a brand new experiment in government, an experiment the rest of the world at the time was confident would fail.

Terrifying imagery, I must go wash out my underwear now and prepare for the coming Illuminati.

It's pretty sinister... whether or not that sense was meant (and pretty early on the US had designs on much of the Americas), it's close to what the US govt is currently attempting.

You don't need conspiracies, when some pretty terrible things are happening out in the open.

BTW I was in Nepal once, and saw some building bricks which had the star of David juxtaposed by a swastika.

JK "The all seeing eye still looks creepy. Perhaps it should be camera instead" Will

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages