snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » History Archive » Hitler's eye color

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hitler's eye color
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've heard many times that Hitler had brown eyes. It would be a real
irony if it were true. I've never seen a full color photo, to know for
sure. However, from the black and white ones that I have seen, I get the
impression that this is not the case.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RealityChuck
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 401 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: I've heard many times that Hitler had brown eyes. It would be a real
irony if it were true. I've never seen a full color photo, to know for
sure. However, from the black and white ones that I have seen, I get the
impression that this is not the case.

I did some research into this for a story I was writing. According to the sources (I don't recall which, though it may have been Shirer), Hitler had blue eyes.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Animal or god?

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it really matter? He was dark haired, short and seedy looking. And rumoured to have one testicle. None of which is really his fault... but his actions are directly accountable to him.

I think they used to say that Eichmann was the only one of the leaders who looked truly "Aryan". Take a look at Himmler... he was hardly a perfect specimen either, and had to turn away when people were being tortured.

Isaac
Happy Holly Days

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Isaac         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Hitler's clone in The Boys From Brazil had the most incredible blue eyes I've ever seen.

"Don't you know the boys from Brazil are little Hitlers? I saw it in a movie... whose name I can't remember!"

- Homer Simpson

--------------------
All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.

Posts: 1600 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a sharply drawn political cartoon from the era noting that the Aryan ideal was blond (like Hitler), well-shaped (like Goering) and handsome (like Goebbels), illustrated with very effective cariacatures of the three. Wish I knew who'd done it.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elkhound
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Elkhound         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
I remember a sharply drawn political cartoon from the era noting that the Aryan ideal was blond (like Hitler), well-shaped (like Goering) and handsome (like Goebbels), illustrated with very effective cariacatures of the three. Wish I knew who'd done it.

Was it perhaps one of Dr. Seuss'?

--------------------
"The bicycle is the most civilized conveyance known to man. Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish. Only the bicycle remains pure in heart."--Iris Murdoch

Posts: 3307 | From: Charleston, WV | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman
Harshmallow World

Icon 99 posted      Profile for plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Author's Homepage   E-mail plain-TALKing Yorkshire Woman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Animal or god?:
Does it really matter? He was dark haired, short and seedy looking. And rumoured to have one testicle. None of which is really his fault... but his actions are directly accountable to him.

I think they used to say that Eichmann was the only one of the leaders who looked truly "Aryan". Take a look at Himmler... he was hardly a perfect specimen either, and had to turn away when people were being tortured.

ooh! ooh! MY first CHOW!

Ohh.. i don't know how to do it.......

drat

[Frown]

well, I'll do it this way:

go to the HISTORY category on here, and select
Hitler (Might be slightly NFBSK)
that one deals with the rumour, and (brags) I posted the words of a song that covers this (doesn't confirm or deny the truth about it, but.. it covers it, anyway)
Talk

--------------------
...Can you tell tripe from truth?

Don't be an ignoranus:- an ignoranus is someone who is both stupid, and an ars*hole!

Posts: 1833 | From: The West Riding of God's-own county: Yorkshire UK | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elkhound:

Maybe, but I'd think I'd've remembered Seuss' style if it were.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyMoose

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought it was kind of ironic how Hitler thought the best people were tall, blonde and very Nordic looking when Hitler didn't look Nordic at all. I think according to his new social hiearchy, he was about on the third tier.

Ironically too, I am listening to "Springtime For Hitler" as I am typing this. [Big Grin]

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Talk to the Chanucha:
ooh! ooh! MY first CHOW!

Ohh.. i don't know how to do it.......

Don't worry. It's as simple as copying and pasting the URL:
http://www.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000298

If you want to use UBB to hyperlink, type {url=http://www.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000298}Link{/url} but with square brackets instead.

You can find all of the UBB codes here. Hope this helps!

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 213 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a related thread on the Third Reich Forum (!) - Colour pictures of Nazi leaders. Unfortunately they haven't got as far as Hitler yet, but they've got Hugo Kraas, Otto Skorzeny, and "three illustrious gentlemen" who apparently "need no introductions" (well, not to readers of the Third Reich Forum, anyway - I haven't a clue who they are...).

I don't feel like posting there to ask, but they could probably point us in the right direction. (I might just be being a wimp - it's not a political pro-Nazi board, so it's probably quite safe to ask really).

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Follow on - Walter Frentz is the guy to look for, as he was apparently the person who took most colour photos of Hitler. There are some of Hitler and Himmler here:

http://www.fpp.co.uk/Himmler/Frentzarchive.html

None close enough to see Hitler's eye colour, though.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/ah-art.htm

The Knirr one is the most close-up, but all I see is black.

Might just be the colour tone of the portrait as reproduced, but this looks blue:

http://faculty-web.at.northwestern.edu/art-history/werckmeister/May_13_1999/1204.jpg

Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:

I have a cartoon very much like that in a book here ("Heckling Hitler" by Zbynek Zeman on p. 68). No cartoonist or place of publication is listed for it. The caption is "An Aryan Is:" and it shows Hitler as a teacher with his pointer beside a chart with pictures of Goebbels ("Tall"), Goering ("Slim") and Hess ("Blonde"). Hitler: "...and heroic, like me..."

On the same page is one making fun of Goebbels, also found here:
http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GERgoebbels.htm

Posts: 1325 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NubNub the ChrisJ TurkeyMan:
The caption is "An Aryan Is:" and it shows Hitler as a teacher with his pointer beside a chart with pictures of Goebbels ("Tall"), Goering ("Slim") and Hess ("Blonde"). Hitler: "...and heroic, like me..."

That's an old German joke from the Nazi era. It's a take-off of the official propaganda that said the ideal Aryan was "Flink wie Wiesel, zäh wie Leder, hart wie Krupp-Stahl" (agile as a weasel, tough as leather and hard as Krupp steel).

The subversive joke went that the ideal Aryan was in fact "gross wie Goebbels, schlank wie Goering, blond wie Hitler" (tall as Goebbels, slim as Goering and blond as Hitler).

I don't have any cites for this: my grandfather told me it was a joke he'd heard before he left Germany in 1936.

Kate "why a weasel?" S

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NubNub the ChrisJ TurkeyMan:
http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/ah-art.htm

The Knirr one is the most close-up, but all I see is black.

To tell you the truth, I see blue here too. It is a painting though, so who knows.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deciduousblonde

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Isaac3159:
Well, Hitler's clone in The Boys From Brazil had the most incredible blue eyes I've ever seen.

"Don't you know the boys from Brazil are little Hitlers? I saw it in a movie... whose name I can't remember!"

- Homer Simpson

I always assumed that the clones in 'The Boys From Brazil' were, in fact, clones of Mengele - as it was him that wanted to conduct the experiments in the first place? hmmmmm, another thing to think about today [Razz] great movie, BTW.

Deciduous'don't call him a Doctor'blonde

Top Kat
Deck the Malls

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Top Kat   E-mail Top Kat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't seen the movie, but in the book of "The Boys from Brazil," it's very clear that the clones are Hitler. They are being adopted into families similar to Hitler's; their fathers are being killed at the same age as Hitler's; etc.
Posts: 264 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Deciduousblonde

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
I haven't seen the movie, but in the book of "The Boys from Brazil," it's very clear that the clones are Hitler. They are being adopted into families similar to Hitler's; their fathers are being killed at the same age as Hitler's; etc.

Thanks for that - I haven't read the book, and it has been a number of years since I saw the film, so I guess I should try and see it again....if I can manage to sit through Gregory Pecks' very scary performance as Mengele. I think Mengele must have been of similar colouring to Hitler - dark hair and blue eyes. Whatever became of the evil NFBSK?
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Chris J     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Top Kat:
I think Mengele must have been of similar colouring to Hitler - dark hair and blue eyes. Whatever became of the evil NFBSK?

Mengele lived in hiding in South America, and died of a stroke while swimming in 1979 off the coast of Brazil. He was buried as "Wolfgang Gerhard", one of his aliases. The world at large never learned about this, and Mengele "sightings" continued throughout South America into the early '80s. In 1985 "Gerhard's" grave was exhumed and a multinational forensics team confirmed Mengele's remains through dental records (further confirmed later by DNA testing).
0b1knob
Deck the Malls

Icon 99 posted      Profile for 0b1knob   E-mail 0b1knob   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there a long standing UL to the effect that the Who's song "Behind Blue Eyes" is about Hitler?
Posts: 247 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chris J
Hotel California Roll

Another painting in which Hitler's eyes look blue. "Great bunker addition!" hmmmmm.
Kamikaze Kitten

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I believe it was called

One Fish,
Two Fish,
Red Fish,
Mustard Gas

Chris J
Hotel California Roll

I was in the library today and looked through various books that had colour photos... but even in fairly close-up shots, Hitler's eyes were still shaded by the visor on his military hat...

but in those black "Purnell's History of the 20th Century" books from the '70s that a lot of libraries seem to have, I did see a mock 'wanted poster' the Daily Mirror published on September 4, 1939. It listed Hitler's eye colour as blue.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages