snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » History Archive » Old electric chair tales loses some of its spark

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Old electric chair tales loses some of its spark
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Old electric-chair tale loses some of its spark

Alan Johnson
The Columbus [Ohio] Dispatch
News; Pg. 01B
26 February 2002

The oft-repeated story about prisoner Charles Justice -- who supposedly helped build Ohio's electric chair and was later executed in it -- seemed too strange to be true.

[...]

More here.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Amanda Sedai

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't the name "Justice" a bit ironic?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
javaman

Icon 05 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
is it true that a dentist was invented the electric chair?
IMightBe Giant

quote:
Originally posted by javaman:

Yes, it was a dark day in the summer of 1903. The city of New York had built its electric chair with the help of Thomas Edison and were planning on using their contraption on a doctor who had gone mad. This doctor enjoyed torturing his patients by refusing to give them anesthesia, saying it was the tool of the devil. His real name has been lost in the annals of time, but he has been known since as Dr. Pain.

Well, he got careless one day, and a patient died under his scalpel, and he was convicted of voluntary manslaughter. He was sentenced to death in the chair. Little did they know what the chair had planned for them...

After 100,000 volts of electricity flowed through Dr. Pain, a change came over him. The shock didn't kill him, but made him into a new man. Since he couldn't be electrocuted again for the same crime (double jeopardy, you know) they released him on the unsuspecting public. Dr. Pain went into business as the first dentist, still refusing to allow anesthetics.

And that, boys and girls, is the true story of how the electric chair invented a dentist.

IMightBe "well, not entirely true" Giant

Sam I Am

Icon 84 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You have made me smile, grin, and perhaps even chuckle with your caustic wit Giant. Thank you for this piece of levity in the depths of an otherwise dark and dreary day.

Honestly, very dry, very well executed.

Mojo Jojo

Icon 86 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by javaman:

And this is why ALL dentists' are EVIL!

Guinastasia

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, my dentist is really nice.
Seriously, I never even worry about going.

He's cool.

SG

Shocking, just shocking....

The first electric chair *was* "invented" by Thomas Edison, but for different reasons.

At the time, Edison was in competition with George Westinghouse over whose 'system' of electricity delivery was better. Edison favored his direct current generators over Westinghouse's alternating current (which was actually invented by Tesla). To discredit Westinghouse and show just how dangerous A/C was, Edison built an electric chair using A/C and killed a wide range of animals (even an elephant) before graduating to condemned humans.

Sparverius, Flying Rodent Control

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which brings up the punchline, "But how did the elephant GET into your electric chair, Mr. Edison?"
the fragility

Icon 95 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparverius, Flying Rodent Control:
Which brings up the punchline, "But how did the elephant GET into your electric chair, Mr. Edison?"

Sounds like something Larsen would write.

the "Electrocutes my Munchkin" fragility

Quetzalcoatl

Icon 06 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The execution of Topsy, the elephant, in 1903 has to be among the top ten acts of animal cruelty in history. I saw the film of the execution on the Discovery Channel and it really disturbed me. Extremely violent and brutal. For those who are unfamiliar with the story, here is a link:
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/pet/topsy.html

mouse goddess
We Three Blings

Icon 86 posted      Profile for mouse goddess   E-mail mouse goddess   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems like I remember an electric chair story on "this date in rotten history" on rotten.com, but the details are fuzzy.
Something to the effect of an inmate stuffing his underwear with pins and needles, so when the current started, they'd "explode" out, and injure others??
or something......

--------------------
"this could increase your brain power, or it could kill you..." "Increase my killing power, ehh???"

Posts: 1153 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spf 3000

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by IMightBe Giant:

The shock didn't kill him, but made him into a new man. Since he couldn't be electrocuted again for the same crime (double jeopardy, you know) they released him on the unsuspecting public.

That reminds me of an old Johnny Cash song, I cant remember its name now, another song about drinking and getting executed with frontier justice. He said something like "I couldnt choke, I broke the rope. So they had to let me go."

noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spf 3000:

That reminds me of an old Johnny Cash song, I cant remember its name now, another song about drinking and getting executed with frontier justice. He said something like "I couldnt choke, I broke the rope. So they had to let me go."

http://home.nycap.rr.com/coollz03/cash-bad.htm

Now they tried to hang me down in Oakland
And they did in San Frisco
But I wouldn't choke
And I broke their rope
They had to let me go

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spf 3000

Wow, thanks for the link Noreen!
The only problem is now that I know the words, the darn thing is stuck in my head!

DrFraud
We Three Blings

Icon 23 posted      Profile for DrFraud     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spf 3000:

In my opinion, the definitive hanging song is I'll Be Hanged If They're Gonna Hang Me. As sung by Rolf Harris.

--------------------
"Danger is a good teacher, and makes apt scholars. So are disgrace, defeat, exposure to immediate scorn and laughter."
- William Hazlitt; _Table-Talk: Essays On Men And Manners_

Posts: 1055 | From: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages