snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Chrissy Hines - "Soldiers who go to Iraq deserve to die."

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chrissy Hines - "Soldiers who go to Iraq deserve to die."
darth_borehd
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 211 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Soldiers who go to Iraq deserve to die." is a quote I was told was supposedly from Chrissy Hines (of the Pretenders ). The person I heard it from insists that she said it but admits that he heard it reported by a news source and not from an interview.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
react2distract
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for react2distract   E-mail react2distract   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I plugged this into Google:

"Chrissie Hynde iraq lose war"

This seems to have happened during the buildup to war, early 2003, and the top several sites do seem to confirm that she said something. One site represented her comments as:

quote:
Have we gone to war yet?" she asked sarcastically, early on. "We (expletive) deserve to get bombed. Bring it on." Later she yelled, "Let's get rid of all the economic (expletive) this country represents! Bring it on, I hope the Muslims win!
Chalco blog

A little more digging on a couple other blogs turned up this in an SF Gate article:

quote:
Between songs, the pugnacious Hynde, in a classic black T-shirt and jeans, bantered and battled with the crowd. She dedicated "You Know Who Your Friends Are" to "all you junkies and f--," gave a shout-out to the late Joe Strummer, opined that she hopes the United States loses if it goes to war with Iraq ("Bring it on! Give us what we deserve!"), and introduced the song "Fools Must Die" with the self-deprecating quip, "I'll show you how it's done."
SF Gate, 2003

Apparently she said something at a concert that could be construed as "soldiers who go to Iraq deserve to die", especially when lifted out of context. I didn't see that exact phraseology attributed to her, though.

And I'm done digging. [Smile]

Posts: 121 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages