snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Frank Perdue and Oprah

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Frank Perdue and Oprah
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 506 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: True, or not?

"I remember vividly when Oprah had Frank Perdue on as a guest. Keep in mind this is live TV. She asked Frank 'Do people ever tell you that you look like a chicken?' He looked her dead in the eye and replied 'Do people ever tell you that you look like a gorilla?' They cut to a commercial immediately. When the commercial was over Oprah was back on with another guest but old Frank was gone. It never hit the newspaper or anything. It was all hush hush at the time and if you didn’t see it or hear about it from a close friend, you didn’t know about it. In 2002 I told some people at work about the incident and they did not believe me. So I emailed Marty Bass at channel 13 news and he emailed me back confirming that it did indeed happen. They believed me after that."

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sherri_lu
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sherri_lu   Author's Homepage   E-mail sherri_lu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not
Posts: 1344 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do remember Oprah had a Neo Nazi/White Supremist on several years ago who either called her a gorilla or a monkey. All I recall is that she grabbed the idiots arm and that was about it.

Back to the OP: When was Oprah ever on 'live TV'? All of her shows are taped.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MelMel
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they are refering to when Oprah was on TV in Baltimore. She had a morning show on local station 13, that would have been live. It would make more sense because I can't imagine her doing an big interview with Frank Perdue on her talk show, would have made sense if it was more of a local thing.

Melissa

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TheBobo
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBobo   Author's Homepage   E-mail TheBobo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if the OT was true and caught on live TV it would have been all over the media. There is no way it would be surpresed. Besides I think Perdue was found of the chicken resemblence. He capitalized on that and it made his company big.

--------------------
The views expressed in the above Post does not necessarily reflect those of snopes,The Infopoop Corporation,the Internet or most of society for that matter.

Posts: 2474 | From: Scranton, PA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably one of those tiny kernel of truth hidden somewhere deep deep down things.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
Comment: True, or not?

"I remember vividly when Oprah had Frank Perdue on as a guest. Keep in mind this is live TV. She asked Frank 'Do people ever tell you that you look like a chicken?' He looked her dead in the eye and replied 'Do people ever tell you that you look like a gorilla?' They cut to a commercial immediately. (snip)

I remeber that well, because immediately after the commercial, Julia Child came out and dropped the chicken-like Frank Perdue on the floor, picked him back up, dusted him off and said "Remember, you're alone in the kitchen. What your guests don't know won't hurt them."

-milhouse

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought for sure it was going to be about how Perdue said that he did not market chicken to black people because he didn't like the way they fried it. Or else that he said that he gave half his profits to the curch of Satan.

From alt.folklore.urban, 1998
quote:
I was working for a company in Greenbelt, Maryland, (USA) about 10 years ago and was talking with a co-worker about a topic that was on the Oprah show. He brought up something that he claimed he witnessed in the early 80's. At the time Oprah was co-host Baltimore's WJZ-TV's local talk show, 'People Are Talking' and the guest was Don Tyson, the son of John Tyson, the founder of Tyson Foods. At some point during the interview Oprah asked Don "What do you say when people tell you that you look like a chicken?" to which Mr. Tyson replied "What do you say when people tell you that you look like a gorilla?" Oprah then walked off the set.
[snip]
[another poster]
As I recall, it WAS Frank Perdue that the story was about. I also recall the first name of the person who told me the story but I still can't recall his last name. If I remember it, I may try to look him up. He is a native of Baltimore while I have lived my whole life in Wisconsin except for the 3 1/2 years that I lived in Maryland. The story may already have been a UL in Maryland by the time I first heard it in 1988.

From a 1997 posting on alt.tv.talkshows.daytime
quote:
From a recent magazine interview with Oprah Winfrey:
Q: Do you remember your interview with Frank Perdue?

A: That is not true, that Frank Perdue called me a baboon or something. That's one of those urban myths. I did say to him, You know, you kinda look like your chickens. And then the urban myth became that he told me, "Well, you look like a gorilla." That is not true.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages