snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"
Santa Mari-a
Happy Holly Days

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Santa Mari-a     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I searched this forum for "cigar" and had no results, so I figure this one hasn't been discussed. Did Sigmund Freud really say "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"? People say it all the time, citing Freud, but I've never seen the specific source for it. Does anyone know?

--------------------
Si hoc comprehendere potes, gratias age magistro Latinae.

Posts: 1720 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are thousands of sites attributing this quotation to Freud, although nobody seems to know the exact circumstances during which the utterance arose.

I would say it's reasonable to attribute this to Freud, but as he's dead, we'll never know for sure...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 37 posted      Profile for Raven     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've talked to a few psychologists, and they say that it is not written in any of his books or papers. They say that Jung attributed it to Freud in 1909, and that Freud never denied saying it.

I would bet, however, that it is also not written in any of Jung's letters either.

Posts: 69 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
slow_and_lazy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slow_and_lazy   E-mail slow_and_lazy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this one as a part of a joke.
One morning Freud's daughter said to her dad:
" I had a strange dream - I was sucking a cigar and it felt soo good!"
To which Freud answered: "Well, honey, sometimes cigar is just a cigar."

Some versions have cigar replaced with banana.

--------------------
V.I.K.I. : My logic is flawless.
Sonny : Yes, but it just seems too heartless.

Posts: 57 | From: Estonia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GranolaSuicideSpawn2
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds like it was taken from the old SNL skit with Dan Aykroyd as Freud and Laraine Newman as Anna. "Zey vere all giving me bananas, but yourss vas de only banana I vanted to eat papa," and Aykroyd says "Sometimes a banana is only a banana, Anna."
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages