snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Swords --> Plowshares Quote

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swords --> Plowshares Quote
darth_borehd
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 303 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am trying to find the original author of this quote:

"Thos who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not."

I know it's a commentary on Isaiah 2:4 but I can't find a reliable source of who originally said it. I have found the following people have been credited with the quote:

Helen Rice
Don Baldwin
Thomas Jefferson

I'm not sure who Helen Rice or Don Baldwin is or what historical significance they have. Google searches on the names turn up dozens of different people with same names. I really doubt it is Thomas Jefferson as a lot of quotes are miscredited as his.

Does anybody know?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shamrock
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shamrock   E-mail Shamrock   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I first found it in one of the Heinlein SF novels. Not sure if it was original or not. Always thought so.

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 891 | From: New England | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can find variations of this attributed to Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and the ever prolific "Anonymous." It's called "an old milirary saying" and listed as one of the "Murphy's laws of combat." "Helen Rice" and "Don Baldwin" appear to have gotten attached via message forwarding. It certainly does not sound like either Jefferson or Franklin.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Add Ben Franklin with this version: Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So a commentary on Joel 3:10

quote:
Beat your plowshares into swords
and your pruning hooks into spears.
Let the weakling say,
"I am strong!"

might be, "Those who beat their plowshares into swords usually end up defending those who didn't."

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages