snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Kerry calls Vietnam vets "baby killers"?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kerry calls Vietnam vets "baby killers"?
MustangKatie91
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello! I’m a long-time lurker and a first-time poster. I wasn’t sure if this should go here or politics, so please feel free to move this as appropriate.

I was discussing the presidential election yesterday with my mother, and she informed me that John Kerry had referred to the soldiers who fought in Vietnam as “baby killers.” My father is a Vietnam veteran, and she said that she cannot vote for someone who calls her husband a “baby killer.” She’s a moderate (leaning slightly to the liberal side) and highly skeptical of all politicians, so I don’t expect her to simply repeat campaign rhetoric as fact without having reason to do so. Also, until last night, the last I had heard was that she was undecided, but leaning to Kerry.

The specific wording of this comment, however, sent up red flags for me. I looked at factcheck.org, but came up with nothing. I then googled “Kerry baby killers,” and came up with a lot of highly partisan sites that, because of their inherent bias, did not authenticate or debunk the comment to my satisfaction. (Interestingly, most of the sites did refer to this comment and not abortion, which is what I was expecting, so it must be rather well known.) I searched the snopes main page and the message board, and again came up empty.

I know, as do most people who have paid any attention to the campaign, that Kerry protested the Vietnam War. I had not, however, heard that he called the soldiers “baby killers” until last night. Perhaps I’m idealistic, but if there is any truth in the quote, I can’t imagine that he made a broad statement about all soldiers in the war. Perhaps it was specific to a small group in one incident, or a comment aimed at the U.S. government and not the individuals carrying out orders. Of course, it could also be entirely fabricated.

If anyone could help me out in authenticating this statement, I’d greatly appreciate it.

MustangKatie91

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have never seen an instance where Kerry has referred to Vietnam veterans as "baby killers."

And welcome to the boards!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vietnam Veterans Against John Kerry cliam you can see the video of John Kerry calling Vietnam Vets baby killers. But when you click on the video, you don't hear the words "baby killers", you hear a snip of his testimony before the House Foreign Relations Committee, questioning the War in Vietnam, Washington, D.C., April 22, 1971.

Specifically the video plays the part of the speech where Kerry says
quote:
.... they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Ghengis Khan........
What was omitted -- and is usually the case when you hear about this -- is the first part of that sentence which is "They told stories, at times.." Who told stories? That was in the paragraph which preceeded those comments.
quote:
I would like to talk, representing all those veterans, and say that several months ago, in Detroit, we had an investigation at which over 150 honorably discharged, and many very highly decorated, veterans testified to war crimes committed in Southeast Asia. These were not isolated incidents, but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis, with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command. It is impossible to describe to you exactly what did happen in Detroit--the emotions in the room, and the feelings of the men who were reliving their experiences in Vietnam. They relived the absolute horror of what this country, in a sense, made them do.
In that testimony, Kerry was not making accusations against soldiers but repeating stories that were told to him by other soldiers.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MustangKatie91
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow! Such quick replies. You gotta love the internet.

AnglRdr -- Thanks for the welcome to the board. Glad to be here.

Sara at home -- Thanks for the information. I knew a little about his testimony, and a little about Vietnam Veterans Against John Kerry. What I was completely ignorant of was that they had turned his testimony into "John Kerry called Vietnam soldiers baby killers." Talk about spin. What you posted is much more in line with my previous understanding of how Kerry spoke about Vietnam.

I hate the idea of someone voting for a candidate because of incorrect information, no matter which candidate that happens to be. Now, I'm armed for debate.

MustangKatie91

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Oh No! Vietnam Again? Shame On Us All":
quote:
In April 2001, Kerry wrote that, "We returned home to an America that was indifferent, even hostile. There were no parades, only nightmares. Veterans were spat upon, called baby-killers..."
ETA: Complete Testimony of John Kerry before House Committee doesn't have the words "baby", "infant", or "killer" in it. The word "child"/"children" appears twice in the testimony, but Senator Pell says it first, in reference to a specific soldier accused of killing children, and Kerry uses it in reference to children seeing death on TV.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The War That Will Not Go Away - Bob Kerrey's Account of Murdered Civilians Underscored How Little We Understand the Vietnam Experience - If We Understand War at All in which John Kerry wrote about being called "baby killers".

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brian O'blivion
Deck the Malls

Icon 02 posted      Profile for Brian O'blivion     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, so you admit it!!

In April, 2001 John Kerry wrote that, "Veterans were...baby-killers"

[dunce] "You can run...but you can't hide!"

Posts: 307 | From: California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

quote:
Originally posted by Brian O'blivion:
Ah, so you admit it!!

In April, 2001 John Kerry wrote that, "Veterans were...baby-killers"

You got an A+ at that Republican run Karl Rove School of Quote Editing, eh? Good work!

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages