snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Jack Valenti, VCRs, & The Boston Strangler

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jack Valenti, VCRs, & The Boston Strangler
The Otter of our Discontent
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rotten.com's news section, The Daily Rotten, has a few quotes on the sidebar, mostly about free speech and civil liberties.

One was purpoted to be from Jack Valenti, the head of the MPAA, the Motion Picture Association of America:

quote:
"The VCR is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston Strangler is to the woman alone."
Jack Valenti, MPAA

True?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 01 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most definitely true.

In 1982 Valenti was testifying before the House of Representatives regarding "The Home Recording of Copyrighted Works."

quote:
Now, the question comes, well, all right, what is wrong with the VCR. One of the Japanese lobbyists, Mr. Ferris, has said that the VCR -- well, if I am saying something wrong, forgive me. I don't know. He certainly is not MGM's lobbyist. That is for sure. He has said that the VCR is the greatest friend that the American film producer ever had.

I say to you that the VCR is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone.

The VCR avalanche, I told you about that. Now, what about the VCR owners. Now, from here on out, Mr. Chairman, I am going to be speaking about a survey done by the Media Statistics Inc., which is a prestigious firm out of Silver Spring, Md. We, meaning the MPAA, did not commission this survey. We bought it after it was done when we heard about it. So, this was not a case -- we have commissioned a lot of things, but this is not one of them.

The entire testimony. The strangler quote isn't too far down, but I'd suggest doing a Find on Strangler in the page.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages