snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » "He tried to kill my daddy!"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "He tried to kill my daddy!"
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have seen several people quote George W. Bush as saying "...he tried to
kill my daddy" when referring to Saddam Hussein. Or another version is
"...they tried to kill my daddy." I have been trying to find a source for
this but haven't been able to. The only think I can find are references to
it on message boards where people use this quote.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alexina, strange and unusual
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 201 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this quote several times on NPR by guests, commentators, and people telephoning in. Another permutation I heard them use is "he tried to kill my dad," which sounds a little less infantile... but still a cause for concern over his motives, etc.

Alexina

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paul of Cthulhu

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even if Bush really said such a thing, to what could he possibly be referring? Was Saddam ever in a position to harm George (H. W.) Bush?
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought it was pretty widely known that agents of Saddam Hussein engaged in a foiled assassination plot against George H.W. Bush when he visited Kuwait as ex-president.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Paul of Cthulhu

quote:
Originally posted by First of BOO:
I thought it was pretty widely known that agents of Saddam Hussein engaged in a foiled assassination plot against George H.W. Bush when he visited Kuwait as ex-president.

Hm, that may have been before I was an avid NPR listener. I'll try to catch up.
Silence Dogood

Despite the OP's remarks, it seems to be pretty easy to find references to Bush's comment. According to The Washington Post and ABC News, he said it at a Houston fundraiser.

Silence "soundbiting into inOedipal foodstuffs" Dogood

Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"There's no doubt his hatred is mainly directed at us. There's no doubt he can't stand us. After all, this is a guy that tried to kill my dad at one time."

My local radio station has been using a sound clip of this in their ads touting how well they are covering the current concerns about Iraq. I've heard it at least a dozen times.

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages