snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Did Rush Limbaugh call Chelsea Clinton a "dog face?"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Did Rush Limbaugh call Chelsea Clinton a "dog face?"
Mr. Furious
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Furious   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Furious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The newspaper from my former home has a daily column called "Sayso," wherein crackp^H^H^H^H^H^H citizens can call in and air their concerns. In this one, a caller said:

quote:
IN REGARDS to Rush Limbaugh losing his hearing, I just think that God tapped him a little on the shoulder to remind him how mean he is. Do you recall when he called President Clinton's daughter a "dog face" when she was 12 years old? That is about as mean as you can get. I think that God tapped him.

The editor asked if anyone recalled this statement. I'm kind of curious myself.

I googled it, and found a song to the tune of "Addams Family" that contains the line "their daughter is a dogface," but it's not attributed to Limbaugh.

Anybody got a definitive cite?

--------------------
"He's not gonna let me in, I'm Mr. Dirty Mouth!"
- Jeffrey Coho (Craig Bierko), Boston Legal

Posts: 8729 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 03 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No specific cite, and I'm not sure the term was dogface, but I do recall a minor controversey arose early in Clinton's term when Rush made some negative comments on Chelsea's appearance on his old TV show.

He later apologized, and that was the end of it.

Pogue "I'm back" Mahone

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As I recall, Limbaugh made a comment on his TV show about the Clintons' owning a cat, Socks, and then said something along the lines of, "But you know, they've got a dog, too." And a photo of Chelsea came up.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What Brad said.

Silas ("Dittoes, Brad") Sparkhammer

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
davepawson
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If I am not mistaken it was on his first television program. If not the first, then probably first week. As Brad said, Rush said something about the Clintons' dog, and a picture of Chelsea came up. He immediately "scolded" the miscreants who put up the "wrong" picture, but as the show was taped, had it not been intentional, you know it would have been edited out. So... he did not actually call her a dog-face, but the implication was clearly there.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrsbones

Icon 99 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It was during the first season of Rush's TV show, and he was talking about the newspaper headlines after Clinton was inaugurated, IIRC. One headline was "Cute Kid in the White House" and on the television screen behind him was a picture of the Bushs' dog Millie. He did say something like "That was uncalled for." After that, people started saying that Rush called Chelsea a dog. Honest mistake on the part of the people in the control room? Maybe.

Megan "-------" B.

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 88 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe this is a UL but didn't SNL do something similar? They talked about the Gore girls being babes and putdown poor Chelsea? Can't remember the details but I do recall that it was very unkind and fairly controversial (even for SNL) as they were essentially mocking a child not her famous parents. Or maybe I dreamed the whole thing?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zibahcat

Icon 13 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Appleby:
Maybe this is a UL but didn't SNL do something similar? They talked about the Gore girls being babes and putdown poor Chelsea? Can't remember the details but I do recall that it was very unkind and fairly controversial (even for SNL) as they were essentially mocking a child not her famous parents. Or maybe I dreamed the whole thing?

Yep, it was during a "Wayne's World" top ten list. On repeats they edit out the comments about Chelsea but her name still appears on the list. I saw the original broadcast; but my memory isn't sufficient to remember what the remarks were; I think they were relatively mild, but still not a kind thing to do to a kid.

zibah "still willing to spank Mike Myers for that one, but then I'd like to spank him anyway" cat

Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 95 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrsbones: no... You're remembering something far too genteel. Brad from Georgia remembers it the way it happened.

Silas ("dog faced boy") Sparkhammer

--------------------
When on music's mighty pinion, souls of men to heaven rise,
Then both vanish earth's dominion, man is native to the skies.

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Took a bit of digging, but the incident was reported in newspapers in mid-October, 1993. Molly Ivins mentioned it in her column for October 17, 1993, this way:
quote:
(Limbaugh said) "Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" And he put up a picture of Chelsea Clinton. Chelsea Clinton is 13 years old.

She also mentions it in her article here.

Brad "not that Molly is without her bias, either" from Georgia

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grumpy

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rush Limbaugh has insulted many people, of many ages, before and since. The Chelsea quip was not one of his proudest moments. Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me, but I have a recollection that the Formerly Rotund One has apologized, or at least expressed regret, for the dog comparison.

IMHO, the man is damned for so many other things he has said. Ragging on Chelsea is small potatoes.

--Grump "Rush to judgment" y

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its not small potatoes to me! You can call me anything you want if you think you have a genuine grievance but you leave my kids out of it. Limbaugh crossed the line with his comments about someone's kid. It was cruel and uncalled for and it helped show the man up for what he was and is.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
davepawson

quote:
Originally posted by Appleby:

Well, whatever the case may be regarding who called her a dog face, ugly, or whatever, the fact remains that she was a homely kid.

ByTor, II

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by davepawson:

Well, whatever the case may be regarding who called her a dog face, ugly, or whatever, the fact remains that she was a homely kid.

Hopefully you are joking. Whether you found her attractive or not is your opinion. You are right about the fact that she was a child.

ByTor

joncBEE

quote:
I googled it, and found a song to the tune of "Addams Family" that contains the line "their daughter is a dogface,"

Has whoever wrote that lyric seen Christina Ricci recently

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages