snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » We will not falter, we will not fail

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We will not falter, we will not fail
Pam
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"The battle is now joined on many fronts. We will not waver, we will not tire, we will not falter and we will not fail. Peace and freedom will prevail. Thank you. May God continue to bless America. " -- George W. Bush Oct. 7, 2001

quote:
"We will rally the world to this cause by our efforts, by our courage. We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail. "
--George W. Bush, Sept. 20, 2001

Who said that?
After hearing Pres. Bush say approximately the same words recently, I checked on line, and turned up similar quotes from various religious speakers, one attribued to Oliver Wendell Holmes, and a couple of poets. Winston Churchill in February 1941 said

quote:
We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire. Neither the sudden shock of battle nor the long-drawn trials of vigilance and exertion will wear us down. Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.

Any idea who originated this?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pam:
"We will not waver, we will not tire, we will not falter and we will not fail. ...

.... We will speak in run-on sentences. I saw this same punctuation in my local morning paper, and it's bugged me all day. Either put a period at the end of each clause, or use a semi-colon. When you insert "and" you have to put a comma before it.

You cannot join two sentences with a comma or with an "and."

Pogue "ain't there no more good copy editors?" Mahone

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:
...or use a semi-colon.

Former president Reagan was noted for using one of those.

Bob "" K.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue Mahone:

.... We will speak in run-on sentences. I saw this same punctuation in my local morning paper, and it's bugged me all day. Either put a period at the end of each clause, or use a semi-colon. When you insert "and" you have to put a comma before it.

However, I think this is a rhetorical convention, not a grammatical one. The commas indicate less of a pause than a semicolon. If, as I suspect, the President's speech writers have been studying Churchill, they are probably going for the same kind of rhythm that the illustrious PM used to such great advantage:

"We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender...."

How majestic is that final semicolon, introducing the granite-hard determination of the final clause.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BooRadley

quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

However, I think this is a rhetorical convention, not a grammatical one. The commas indicate less of a pause than a semicolon.

Agreed. When I took a speach class in college, they taught us to write the speach the way we were going to speak it. To hell with rules, man, it's all about rythem.

I love your sig, by the way. That was Albert to Churchy LaFemme, if I remember it correctly.

Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooRadley:

I love your sig, by the way. That was Albert to Churchy LaFemme, if I remember it correctly.

Close--Howland Owl to Churchy. Good to meet another Pogo fan!

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BooRadley

I need to rebuild my collection. It's been a decade since I've read any of those old books.
Terilyn

I know it's weird for me to say this, seeing as I'm a writer myself, but I don't really care whether or not the now infamous speech included a semicolon or perfect comma placement. I just thought it was a good speech, and it did what it was intended to do...at times like this I don't find it neccesary to nitpick, you know?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages