snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Archived Forums » Questionable Quotes Archive » Pac Man /Nintendo Quote

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pac Man /Nintendo Quote
Don Vito Skolione
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989

Do any of you guys know if this quote is real or not. It sounds too good to be true.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ewok

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, the only hits I get are that exact quote. Searching for Kristian Wilson nintendo -munching doesn't yield any evidence that there was ever a Kristian Wilson at Nintendo. Searching for the quote, with -kristian, just gets some unattributed versions of the quote.
Dan the Seeker

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if you meant it this way or not, but it sounds like some clubs I've been to...

--Dan

Ewok

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I think that's the point, that Kristian could well be describing a rave.
ebenezer

1989? wasn't 1988 the 'Second Summer of Love' - if this is a true quote, couldn't the original quoter have been being ironic? the rave scene had been kicking off for a couple of years by 1989, when it was also pretty much established in the underground end of the mainstream...

ex

IrateDwarf
Asparagus Spears

Icon 01 posted      Profile for IrateDwarf   E-mail IrateDwarf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Don Vito Skolione:
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
[b]Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989

Do any of you guys know if this quote is real or not. It sounds too good to be true.[/B]

I don't care if it's real or not! I just found a new signature!

Posts: 2171.14159 | From: Michigan | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Randall graves

Dunno could be true as that quote came from 1989 and 12 years have passed since then
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Couple of odd things here. First, the earliest citation on usenet is January 2001. And then, it's just the sig of someone who posts a lot to alt.fan.robert.jordan. You'd think if such a great quote had been around since 1989, that it would have been picked up by 1995 which is when Google's usenet archives start. Second, there is no Nintendo, Inc. (One version says Kristian is the CEO of the Nintendo Gaming corporation, Inc--that doesn't exist either) The parent firm is Nintendo Company, Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan. The US subsidiary is Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Washington. Other subsidaries are:
Nintendo Australia Pty, Ltd.
Nintendo of Canada Ltd.
Nintendo España, S.A.
Nintendo of Europe GmbH
Nintendo France S.A.R.L.
Nintendo Netherlands B.V.

[edit--found it on a Slashdot MB, DEcember 2000. Also found it attributed to "Ross Allen" of Nintendo and "Dylan Davis," no affiliation]

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
King of the Impossible

I'm SURE I've heard that somewhere else. Oh, no... this is annoying. Where was it? It was a comedian. Hm... Ben Elton? Craig Charles? Someone like that, I'm sure.

Little help?

Hitman

Yep, i've heard this told as a joke to, it sounds like someone has added to the UL by turning it into a quote..
Worker and Parasite

First off, the Pac Man arcade game has no music, just sound effects.

Secondly, I'm pretty knoweldgable about the Nintendo corporation, and as far as I know there has never been a high ranking NOA office holder by the name of Kristian Wilson.

The President of Nintendo of America (1980- )
is Minoru Arakawa. The CEO's name at that time was Howard Lincoln.

Also, Nintendo would have been unlikely to have made a statement regarding video games influencing children, as the actual Nitendo company makes very few violent games.

If I had written this fake quote, I would have attributed it to the President of a company infamous for making violent games, such as Williams (Mortal Kombat) or ID software (DOOM).

Nick Judge

Icon 08 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Worker and Parasite:
First off, the Pac Man arcade game has no music, just sound effects.

That's not entirely accurate; while it is true that there is no continuous background music, there is a short introductory tune [which I still remember to this day] when you begin a new game, as well as music played during 'intermissions' between certain levels. There is, however, a constant 'siren' sound effect that plays in the background that increases in pitch as the current level progresses. This 'siren' sound effect does sound quite a bit like a lot of the typical rave and house music often played in clubs and at raves, and I know I've heard other Pac-man sound effects sampled in different songs [and not just 'Pac-Man Fever']...

Nick "Pac-Man ate my homework...and my allowance" Judge

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages